07-30-2012, 10:49 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I've waited until I got 2 days growth to finally try it (I don't shave weekends) and here is what I have to say...
Do we really need a head for this razor? Can we just somehow stick a naked blade on the handle? Biggrin
Jokes aside, this is exactly what it feels like! The only razor where I was aware of the blade at all times. After the first pass, and I was super careful, it plowed through like a champ! Made me smile really, I was cursing myself for not trying it sooner, but... here comes a pass #2 and it chewed me up good, all my problem areas (chin, upper lip) still burn Angry
I am not giving up, I see potential here, will give her at least a week before making a decision.
In short, if any of you, newcomers are reading it, DO NOT try to master it until you get a hang of mild razors first. This is the most aggressive razor that I have tried and I have tried MANY.
Stay tuned...

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 11:09 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
This is an extremely hard razor to complete a comfortable two pass shave but going against the grain (ATG) under the chin worked for me when I had this razor. Give us feed back for round two.

100 12,450
 07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
User Info
beartrap -

My experience with it was better than yours from the get-go. However, like you, I also felt that the blade was pretty much unfettered on the R41, and while I could get it to shave me well, I never grew to like the feeling of the blade on the skin.

At the end of the day, while the R41 was efficient, it wasn't fun to use and I got rid of mine. I can get equally close shaves using other razors, with only a little more work - I'll take comfort over the slight improvement in efficiency any day.

However, your plan to give it some time is great. It may wind up being something you really take to.

37 1,731
 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
It'll never take if I don't feel comfort. I want to enjoy it, I'd rather it takes longer than being on my toes throughout the shave.

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
User Info
I found that it takes perfect technique with no distractions.

I like my '11 R41, but I don't use it every day. It takes me no more time to shave with the R41 than with my mildest razors (OLD, NEW, Single Ring), but the shave is so much closer. I also really like the exfoliating that it does. Yeah, it takes a layer or 2 of dead skin cells for sure.

One thing that helped my control of the razor was replacing the handle with one with some grip to it. That made a huge difference.

The first thing that struck me about the shave experience with the razor was the flexing of the blade that the razor allows. I still feel that each time I use it, but after the first stroke or two I forget all about that.

I think a poll was recently conducted of pro vs con re: the R41. It might be worth looking up to see the results. Certainly it's not a razor for everyone.

32 6,311
 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I'd be interested to give it a read on pro vs con. If there is a thread somewhere on r41 vs others, I'd like that too. I should master a search function here first, I guess Biggrin

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM
User Info
BT, one other thing to keep in mind with that razor... It demands one of the extremely sharp blades. It's not intuitive to think that, but it'll work best with a Feather, Iridium, or a Gillette from St.Petersburg.

32 6,311
 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yes, I new that going in. I have loaded it with fresh Feather, not my favorite in smoothness but the sharpest one. I might try Iridiums for the smooth factor and see if it makes a difference.

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 07:31 PM
User Info
Find the poll here.

32 6,311
 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
beartrap, good luck with your second attempt.
It is a very effective razor, but, as Yohann said, it is not the most comfortable shaver. However, YMMV.

75 20,883
 07-31-2012, 04:31 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You will be just fine and post pictures if you can.

100 12,450
 07-31-2012, 07:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I find I can get a relatively comfortable shave from the R41 with a lot of concentration and care. The Tradere OC on the other hand I just couldn't master...

91 17,875
 07-31-2012, 07:12 AM
User Info
The R41 is my favorite razor

Takes a while to master, but once you do...WOW

The first time I tried it I had a lot of blood lube Biggrin

2 65
 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Shave #2 this morning... BBS in 2 passes and some cleanup... Blood everywhere... Angry Firedevil
I am thinking - Fatip tomorrow morning, time for pleasant and relaxing. Gotta let my face heal before trying to master this beast again. Not comfortable at all, not happy.

88 4,233
 07-31-2012, 10:05 AM
User Info
I never experienced a blood loss from the 2011 Mühle R41, but my face always felt raw after the shave.

For me after a month of almost daily usage I gave up, as I can get just as close of a shave from a number of other razors without feeling like my face has been peeled off.

Gillette Black 7 O'Clock and even Derby blade performed well enough. It just required way too much concentration to make it an enjoyable shave, but YMMV.

Good luck with it.

5 833
 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I was being overdramatic. There was no blood, per say. It did feel like a wax procedure was just performed on my face (not that I know what it feels like) Biggrin
The shave was very close though, still not a hint of stubble.

88 4,233
 07-31-2012, 10:25 AM
User Info
I am one of the few that just love the R41. For me, proper blade selection, NO pressure and good prep are the keys.

I have been using the R41 as my primary razor for about 5 months and love it...the two razor which I use 90% is the R41 and the Fatip.

I find Gillette Blacks and Super Iridiums work best, but I can even get a good shave with the Astra SP.

Good Luck!!

0 66
 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Appreciate the engorgement, Ken. I got a whole blade line up to try with it. The iridiums (and polsilver iridiums), blacks, blues, med preps. One thing for sure, without trying I'll never know. Also thinking of putting a bulldog handle on it but that would make it just deadly, I think :qmiedo:

88 4,233
 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(07-31-2012, 11:27 AM)beartrap Wrote: Appreciate the engorgement, Ken. I got a whole blade line up to try with it. The iridiums (and polsilver iridiums), blacks, blues, med preps. One thing for sure, without trying I'll never know. Also thinking of putting a bulldog handle on it but that would make it just deadly, I think :qmiedo:

It might turn out to be your all time favorite razor.

100 12,450
 08-06-2012, 06:40 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Shave #3 was this morning, I've waited until 2 days growth again to try. Loaded new 7 o'clock black... I'll say it again, it is very efficient, but I am not a fan. Will give it one more week and if next Monday my face is cleanly shaven but raw, look for it on BST.

88 4,233