07-30-2012, 12:19 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Hi,

I've been wetshaving for a couple of years now and I've "converted" one son, a sister and a brother-in-law as well.

My wife is interested and I gave her a nice Schick injector (E-model) that she's tried a few times, but she's still not sold. First time she cut herself, then she felt it was hard to get a close shave...

What do the ladies on the Nook recommend? Obviously you have a different angle for legs and underarms than we men have on our faces. My next recommendation to her will be a 1940s SuperSpeed, unless I get some great suggestions here. Smile

Any tips for new lady wetshavers?

0 911
 07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I would try a Lady Gillette. They were made specifically for ladies and is a pretty nice DE razor. I have one in my own rotation for my face. It has a fairly long handle which would be nice for shaving legs. You wouldn't have trouble picking one up for a decent price on EBAY.

45 3,955
 07-30-2012, 02:11 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I have a lady Gillette as well as the long handle murker. I like the longer handle razors myself. I have used the hubbies superspeed but I don't care for the shorter handle.

I don't think blade makes that big of a difference but it does some difference. I started out with derby blades but now use whatever the hubby has. I have gotten him multiple kinds.

Honestly I prefer to use a regular cheap disposable for under my arms rather than the DE. The disposable has a smaller head and is easier for me to shave there. So I do use it for that and after it's used it's rinsed dried and put up (out of the tub area) for the next time I want to use it so I get plenty of shavings with it. But I just don't like shaving my underarms with the DE so I don't.

But for legs you can't beat the DE because I get a much closer and better shave with the DE than the disposable. Also it's so much more fun to shave with!

7 405
 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Well, I got my fiance a Lady Gillette she's used a few times with good results. Pretty much any thing with a longer handle seems to work. Shick Krona, Gillette Knacks etc....

53 555
 07-30-2012, 02:22 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-30-2012, 12:19 PM)bjorney Wrote: Hi,

I've been wetshaving for a couple of years now and I've "converted" one son, a sister and a brother-in-law as well.

My wife is interested and I gave her a nice Schick injector (E-model) that she's tried a few times, but she's still not sold. First time she cut herself, then she felt it was hard to get a close shave...

What do the ladies on the Nook recommend? Obviously you have a different angle for legs and underarms than we men have on our faces. My next recommendation to her will be a 1940s SuperSpeed, unless I get some great suggestions here. Smile

Any tips for new lady wetshavers?

I have a long handle Schick J1 if she would like to try it. That's what my wife uses.

This is the razor.

173 23,546
 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Thanks for the advice! I'll let her try a long-handled Gillette Super Adjustable and a long handled Shick injector while I shop around for a "Lady Gillette".

0 911
 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM
User Info
Krissy, funny you should mention that about blades. My wife is using up the blades that I can't even tolerate with no problems whatsoever. She also gets more shaves out of a blade than I can even contemplate. She might change the blade in her LG every few months. I think she could use a clam shell to shave with.

32 6,309
 07-30-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
(07-30-2012, 02:11 PM)krissy Wrote: I don't think blade makes that big of a difference but it does some difference.

Most of us men find blades to be a determining factor in shave quality. Over time finding which ax-handle goes with which blade; the best part of the trip! And the AsSPlat that works really well in my Treet Delrin is NOT so wonderful in my Weishi.

BTW, I notice that Parker offers a new piece similar to the Lady Gillette and some people claim to like them. It might be worth a try for those who want a factory-fresh war club. Wink

0 554
 07-30-2012, 04:01 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
oh I know for men the blade makes a big difference, but for us women.... at least for me I haven't noticed a big difference from one blade to the next. I think it has to do with the fact that men have a lot of factors with not just their skin type but also hair growth and texture of their beard. Legs just aren't as fussy.

anyone have a link to that Parker........ it has a long handle? *grins* I like longer handle razors so that puts me at a disadvantage for my den. Women can have dens right..... (please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes)

Michael !!!!!! It's good to see you my friend!!!!!

7 405
 07-30-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
Given to me by a friend, my first DE was a Blue Lady Gillette. She was no throw away, not to be disposed of after single use kind of cheap plastic razor. No. She was and is a gorgeous and feminine shaving tool. With her, I learned how to load a razor blade without cutting myself, and slowly but surely, I learned to enjoy the everyday task of shaving. I began to slow down and plan my shaves. And then I began to enjoy them. So it was this Lady Blue that began my wet-shaving odyssey. Shy

That being said, now-a-days, my go to razor is the Grand Shave King. And the number one reason I love this razor is because I have never nicked or cut myself with it, AND because it really leaves my legs smooth and soft. It gives a close shave without hurting me. Heart Never have my ankles, that super thin area of skin around a bony prominence, been so free of nicking. Nick free! Finally! I have never had skin irritation with this razor either, yet another very fine reason to love this razor.

But all is not paradise with this razor, just to let you know. Sad You see, this razor has this wonderfully heavy head, But has a weak neck and light handle. Yeah. You know what that means, right? Yeah, that's right. If you drop this razor, the neck will break and there is no fixing it. The good news is...the head of this razor, like the Gillette, will work on other heavier handles. Shy So, my Grand Shave King head is proudly atop a Tradere handle. The Tradere handle is adequately heavy to prevent the neck breaking if razor accidently dropped. Plus! the Tradere handle feels great in the hand, has an excellent just right length to it and looks classy. I like it!

Other razors? I like almost all of Gillette's Open Combs. Of the Super Speeds, I did not so much care for the Red Tip..and there was this one open comb, that I thought was too aggressive for me as well...but sadly, the name escapes me...Dang, I hate that. So I don't recommend that one. Even though I can't recall which one it was. Well, never mind. Okay, let's just move on...

As far as blades go, my most important learning lesson has been to change blades frequently. I prefer Feather's, then Shark's, then Voskhod's. I do not like Astra's. I have also tried, Kai, 7 o'clocks and derby. I prefer the ones I stated above.

Shaving used to be a chore. Now, it is almost a meditative experience. I Like the delicious scents of different soaps and creams and I Like my soft smooth skin after I shave. I just ordered alot of different soaps from both Mike's and Mystic Waters, so morning meditation is my plan. I am really looking forward to trying all of these new soaps. Shy

I Like that I am giving myself the tools, the space and time to pamper myself. I think this is what happens when, whether male or female, we start this journey of wet shaving.

One more thing for the OP, I will say also, if you give her a Lady Gillette, and if she likes it, she may just want to try other razors as well. And that will be great for you and for her!

0 35
 07-30-2012, 04:58 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
My wife loves her Lady Gillette! I give her the blades that I do not use, and she has no problems at all with them.
[Image: IMG_9964.jpg]

9 408
 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
[Image: MG_04.gif] i just got done taking my blue lady for a spin with a shark blade.

Oooooh yeah...... that was nice....... [Image: give_heart_girl.gif]

7 405
 07-30-2012, 05:58 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You gals need to get Shawna to spend more time on here away from that other place she visits and you could have a shave party.

173 23,546
 07-30-2012, 06:01 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(07-30-2012, 05:58 PM)Johnny Wrote: You gals need to get Shawna to spend more time on here away from that other place she visits and you could have a shave party.

you guys would enjoy that wayyyyyy to much.... [Image: f2a49f8d.gif]

7 405
 07-31-2012, 10:15 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Wow! Thanks for all the great input. I'll share this thread with my wife and see what she would like.

0 911
 07-31-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
I usually use a straight. When I use DE it's a Gillette NEW and an Astra SP blade. I am rather fond of the GEM Featherlight and 1912 SE Models. I get excellent results and the shaving angle of the SE just works for me. I have never been able to get a satisfactory shave from the TTO or injector type razors. Angry it just doesn't work.

1 345
 08-02-2012, 03:53 PM
User Info
(07-30-2012, 04:01 PM)krissy Wrote: anyone have a link to that Parker........ it has a long handle? *grins* I like longer handle razors so that puts me at a disadvantage for my den. Women can have dens right..... (please say yes please say yes please say yes please say yes)
Michael !!!!!! It's good to see you my friend!!!!!

{{{{Mama Krissy!!!!}}}}

Here's a link to the Parker I mentioned: http://www.supersafetyrazors.com/Parker-...SDDTH6.htm

0 554
 08-02-2012, 03:57 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(08-02-2012, 03:53 PM)Michael G Wrote: Here's a link to the Parker I mentioned: http://www.supersafetyrazors.com/Parker-...SDDTH6.htm

It looks like Parker resurrected the Lady Gillette!

0 911
 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM
User Info
Some of these womens razors are so beautifully designed.

0 95
 08-02-2012, 05:08 PM
User Info
(08-02-2012, 03:53 PM)Michael G Wrote: Here's a link to the Parker I mentioned: http://www.supersafetyrazors.com/Parker-...SDDTH6.htm

Hmm...no stars and no color.. silver yes..but, pink, blue and gold, no...Undecided

I think I prefer the vintage Gillettes.

0 35