07-30-2012, 01:46 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
After absolutely no pressure from anyone (thanks Brian Wink ), it's time to share your experiences with Williams.
If you are a younger person and don't understand what this is all about, subscribe to this thread and history will tell.
Believe it or not, this mug soap was very popular at one time, and like everything else, someone decided to make it "better" by reformulating it. The rest you will read here.
You will read warm stories about it. You will read angry stories about. You will even read funny stories about it (this is what we're hopping for Biggrin )
Everyone is encouraged to participate, here we go go...

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 01:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
What is Williams shaving soap?Is it real?Never heard about it...

86 7,124
 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
BTW, pictures are encouraged too!

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 02:16 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I'll be one to say I won't shave with it, but I do have a box that I would love to create a shaving display with for my bathroom. Just because it's a classic.

But I HATE the lather that I get with it and I've played this way and that way with it. But I just can't get it to behave for me. So I'll stick with other brands that do work well for me. Ooooh so many brands/scents so little time. LOL at least I can shave one leg with this and the other leg with another. LOL and yes I have done that before!

7 405
 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM
User Info
I picked up a puck from a grocery store in the area a few weeks back. I couldn't get a decent lather from it at the time, but I could have given it a few more chances. I think I had just read too many horror stories (which are probably incoming shortly) and I didn't give it a proper reception.

2 362
 07-30-2012, 02:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Back when it was made by the J.B. Williams Co in Conn, it was a great soap. My Dad used it for many, many years, and it is the soap I started with when I was fifteen (many, many years ago). But IMHO the new stuff does not hold a candle to the old.

173 23,558
 07-30-2012, 02:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-30-2012, 02:41 PM)Johnny Wrote: Back when it was made by the J.B. Williams Co in Conn, it was a great soap. My Dad used it for many, many years, and it is the soap I started with when I was fifteen (many, many years ago). But IMHO the new stuff does not hold a candle to the old.

Johnny,do you remember what else did you father used for shaving?I mean,what soaps and creams?

86 7,124
 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
User Info
Vintage Williams is terrific. I have about 10 pucks of it stashed away and it's part of my regular soap rotation. On the other hand....

Q: What do vampires, vaccuum cleaners and modern Williams have in common?

A: They all suck!Biggrin

9 1,199
 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-30-2012, 02:42 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(07-30-2012, 02:41 PM)Johnny Wrote: Back when it was made by the J.B. Williams Co in Conn, it was a great soap. My Dad used it for many, many years, and it is the soap I started with when I was fifteen (many, many years ago). But IMHO the new stuff does not hold a candle to the old.

Johnny,do you remember what else did you father used for shaving?I mean,what soaps and creams?

I am interested to know too. What were the options back than?

(07-30-2012, 02:46 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Q: What do vampires, vaccuum cleaners and modern Williams have in common?

A: They all suck!Biggrin

And so... it begins Aaaaa

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-30-2012, 02:46 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(07-30-2012, 02:42 PM)Teiste Wrote:

My Dad used Williams, Colegate, and Old Spice soaps. He never did use a cream. And he used an old boar brush, but I cannot remember what the brand was.

173 23,558
 07-30-2012, 02:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-30-2012, 02:51 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(07-30-2012, 02:46 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(07-30-2012, 02:42 PM)Teiste Wrote: Johnny,do you remember what else did you father used for shaving?I mean,what soaps and creams?

My Dad used Williams, Colegate, and Old Spice soaps. He never did use a cream. And he used an old boar brush, but I cannot remember what the brand was.

3 Classic of Classics.The Old Spice soap I tried a year ago (NIB) was a outstanding performer (tallow goodness).I bet that the old Williams and Colgate were very nice too.
Thanks for sharing Johnny.

86 7,124
 07-30-2012, 03:07 PM
User Info
Thumbup Gotta love a Williams thread!

I use Williams as a regular part of my rotation. With my water I think I can lather lard, so Williams is a piece of cake to get even an ultralather with. A Williams ultralather is really a great shave. No, Really, I swear it!

Sure, it's not as good as other soaps, and that's exactly why I use it. Same as I sometimes use ordinary bar soap to lather with. Some day I may need to know how. Biggrin Yeah, I hope that day never gets here.

One needs to load the heck out of the brush, then load it some more, and when you're done, load it some more.

There are folks who use the old soaps, even today.

I have vintage Burma Shave, and it works great, and recently acquired a puck of Barbershop Professional Shaving Bar, the carton says 1973 on it. Haven't used it yet.

You folks who can't get Williams to work, it makes a decent soap for the shower.

32 6,312
 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-30-2012, 03:07 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Thumbup Gotta love a Williams thread!

I use Williams as a regular part of my rotation. With my water I think I can lather lard, so Williams is a piece of cake to get even an ultralather with. A Williams ultralather is really a great shave. No, Really, I swear it!

Sure, it's not as good as other soaps, and that's exactly why I use it. Same as I sometimes use ordinary bar soap to lather with. Some day I may need to know how. Biggrin Yeah, I hope that day never gets here.

One needs to load the heck out of the brush, then load it some more, and when you're done, load it some more.

There are folks who use the old soaps, even today.

I have vintage Burma Shave, and it works great, and recently acquired a puck of Barbershop Professional Shaving Bar, the carton says 1973 on it. Haven't used it yet.

You folks who can't get Williams to work, it makes a decent soap for the shower.

Way to start enabling, Brian! CVS, Walgreens, and Walmarts everywhere should thank you and start restocking Williams Biggrin

I've been trying to get my hands on vintage puck for a while, just to do blind side by side comparison to the new crap soapy goodness.

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM
User Info
(07-30-2012, 02:16 PM)krissy Wrote: I'll be one to say I won't shave with it, but I do have a box that I would love to create a shaving display with for my bathroom. Just because it's a classic.

I dunno. It seems to work for me. It's inexpensive, readily available, and I've bought it twice. With my water it's not difficult to work it into a serviceable lather. And I have three boar bushes to bring to bear on it. And I have got to quit using alliteration. Blush

0 554
 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM
User Info
I have gotten some good shaves with Williams, but don't plan to replace it once it's gone. Takes twice as long as most of my soaps to get the lather right, and once there it's not really better than anything else I have.

However, I do appreciate that we have a very low cost, usable shaving soap that most of us can pick up within a few miles of our home. I could certainly live with it if there were no internet options..

0 140
 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Good, we starting to see believers! Here is Williams after the Williams shave Tongue

[Image: Robin-Williams.jpg]

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Williams was my first soap when I recently started with a brush and I got some nice shaves from it. In retrospect the lather wasn't great but I didn't know better. I'll probably pick up another puck to see how I like it now that I'm more experienced at making lather.
I do wish they would revert to one of the older formulas that everyone talks about so we could have nice a tallow soap available locally in the US and we could finally end the debate.

2 507
 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
User Info
Williams, I can make it work. I just don't enjoy making it work.

31 7,914
 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-30-2012, 05:19 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Williams, I can make it work. I just don't enjoy making it work.

Blown away. Send it to their marketing team ASAP, they have got to print in on the box Biggrin

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
User Info
The original Williams from the Glastonbury plant is one of the best shaving soaps ever created, and the later stuff from the Cranford plant is almost as good. I'm currently using a grated puck of Williams from the Beecham era, and while it isn't as good as the earlier formulations it's still good stuff.

0 3