07-12-2016, 01:49 AM
User Info
So it seems that many of you have had a bit of experience of doing some soap making. I was curious if anyone would share what they used for their first cold process soap. I am not looking for a recipe per se but any pointers. 

I was likely going to do a run of my first batch using olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, water and sodium hydroxide. What is funny is that I have plenty, PLENTY of carrier oils but do not have an palm oil. Reading all the recipes provided by books and online, it is very hard to find a mix of oils that doesn't involve using oil. I wouldn't mind getting some palm oil but I can't seem to find any available locally and I'm not wanting to order any online at the moment.

Thanks for sharing ladies and gentlemen. Cheers!  Shy

82 1,374
 07-17-2016, 01:34 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
You'll be fine without it. I may suggest adding in some castor oil though, 5 to 10% of the formula. Do something like 35% coconut, 40% olive,10% canola, 10% castor, 5% shea. I would recommend SoapCalc to get your recipe dialed in and a good printout. No palm, no biggie. 

Once you go through the process, you'll see it's actually pretty easy,  good luck and fire away if you have other questions.

10 233
 08-20-2016, 12:46 AM
User Info
(07-17-2016, 01:34 PM)Viking Wrote: You'll be fine without it. I may suggest adding in some castor oil though, 5 to 10% of the formula. Do something like 35% coconut, 40% olive,10% canola, 10% castor, 5% shea. I would recommend SoapCalc to get your recipe dialed in and a good printout. No palm, no biggie. 

Once you go through the process, you'll see it's actually pretty easy,  good luck and fire away if you have other questions.

Thanks for your reply Viking. I ended up using Old Olive Pomace, Water, and Sodium Hydroxide. The olive pomace was at 85 degrees F and when I added the lye water, that was measured at 110 degrees F. I really mixed the soap with the stick blender until it poured as thick as Soft Italian veggie shave soaps in texture.

82 1,374
 08-20-2016, 08:23 PM
User Info
Good luck, Zac! Thumbsup

83 21,115