07-17-2016, 09:17 PM
User Info
I tried PannaCrema Vetiver for the first time today and I was very disappointed. I know I will get a lot of guys who will disagree with me but I just don't seem to get along with Italian soaps. It always seems to be a hit or miss on making lather. It's either too lose & wet or too thick. I have to play with it too much to get a good lather. I found this to be true with a couple of other Italian soaps also. I give up on them. This is what I tried today.

[Image: RHh7WqQ.jpg][Image: f34r2iP.jpg]

5 1,514
 07-17-2016, 09:21 PM
User Info
Italian soaps use to be my favorites but soon became something that was not top tier after trying more and more products. I did like the last shave I had with Panna Crema but it was about 2 yrs ago and  would say it is a about grade B.

79 1,295
 07-18-2016, 03:23 AM
User Info
It's funny you say this because Panna Crema never stood out to me prior to the release of the Nuàvia line because of the up and down reviews of there soap.

However, I am now looking forward to trying Nuàvia and their new standard line, initial reports of the new line sound much better than the old.

4 642
 07-18-2016, 03:55 AM
User Info
Well it was discontinued, and they produced a new version, but I always got good shaves from PC.

61 1,710
 07-18-2016, 05:26 AM
User Info
It's probably my fault because I know a lot of guys here love Italian soaps. For some reason I seem to have a problem with all of them. I had a problem with Cellla and RazoRock also. They don't seem to be consistent like other soaps.

5 1,514
 07-18-2016, 06:24 AM
User Info
I may be wrong but I believe that this product has been discontinued.  Check their website.

http://www.pannacrema.com/en/

0 235
 07-18-2016, 08:47 AM
User Info
(07-18-2016, 06:24 AM)Tidepool Wrote: I may be wrong but I believe that this product has been discontinued.  Check their website.

http://www.pannacrema.com/en/

I believe this scent has been discontinued.

5 1,514
 07-18-2016, 09:20 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
This PC formula was discontinued to be replaced with their PURE2O formula

34 1,628
 07-18-2016, 09:22 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
(07-18-2016, 09:20 AM)Giorgio Wrote: This PC formula was discontinued to be replaced with their PURE2O formula

I just used the Pure2O last night.  Got a very thick slick gleaming lather.  Very happy with it.  The Vetiver scent was pretty light and slightly orangey.  Not my favorite, but performance I couldn't ask for more.

42 581
 07-18-2016, 11:09 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Pannacrema continue to use these small non-stacking containers of cheap plastic that are too narrow to load the brush well.  Good soap.  Crappy containers.
Yes, the Pure2o is a different formula than the original PC and is better I think.

47 1,901
 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
User Info
(07-18-2016, 05:26 AM)shave/brush Wrote: It's probably my fault because I know a lot of guys here love Italian soaps. For some reason I seem to have a problem with all of them. I had a problem with Cellla and RazoRock also. They don't seem to be consistent like other soaps.

While Cella is not my preferred almond/marzipane scented soaps, budget wise no shaving croap can really beat it.

I have very hard water in Copenhagen, where I live - and I have to use extra product in order to get the lather creation going compared to if I had soft water (I have tested with distilled water)

Cella, while as I said it is NOT my favourite soap/croap compared to Boellis, ABC, Valobra and Mondial/TFS, it just is very easy for me use.
I own the 1 kg brick, and I get the densest youghurt like thick lather full of cushion from my Cella block each time I have used it - and I went though a period, where I was in a summerhouse and only took Cella with me as my shaving soap - and all 4 times I used it, I got fantastic lather and shave from it.

Used it one time more, when I came home - and the same result.
Very easy to build the lather with cella for me.

Just shows how much YMMV this is.
Perhaps your cella was a dud ?
Never heard of problems with cella before, only that it tends to go stale rather fast compared to other soaps.

Also heard of a guy, that had problems with Castle Forbes croaps, and I may have come off as an arrogant p_ick, but I told him he surely must have had a dud CF, because Castle Forbes is just as easy to get going as Cella - you just need to add enough water and do it with patience.
I have been through 6 different tubs of Castle Forbes and some 100 grams of cella by now.

24 5,833
 07-18-2016, 02:56 PM
User Info
(07-18-2016, 02:19 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 05:26 AM)shave/brush Wrote: It's probably my fault because I know a lot of guys here love Italian soaps. For some reason I seem to have a problem with all of them. I had a problem with Cellla and RazoRock also. They don't seem to be consistent like other soaps.

While Cella is not my preferred almond/marzipane scented soaps, budget wise no shaving croap can really beat it.

I have very hard water in Copenhagen, where I live - and I have to use extra product in order to get the lather creation going compared to if I had soft water (I have tested with distilled water)

Cella, while as I said it is NOT my favourite soap/croap compared to Boellis, ABC, Valobra and Mondial/TFS, it just is very easy for me use.
I own the 1 kg brick, and I get the densest youghurt like thick lather full of cushion from my Cella block each time I have used it - and I went though a period, where I was in a summerhouse and only took Cella with me as my shaving soap - and all 4 times I used it, I got fantastic lather and shave from it.

Never heard of problems with cella before, only that it tends to go stale rather fast compared to other soaps.

Also heard of a guy, that had problems with Castle Forbes croaps, and I may have come off as an arrogant p_ick, but I told him he surely must have had a dud CF, because Castle Forbes is just as easy to get going as Cella - you just need to add enough water and do it with patience.
I have been though 6 different tubs of Castle Forbes and some 100 grams of cella by now.

Are you saying I should load it really good and add water a little at a time?

5 1,514
 07-18-2016, 03:47 PM
User Info
(07-18-2016, 02:56 PM)shave/brush Wrote:

I have been though 6 different tubs of Castle Forbes and some 100 grams of cella by now.

Are you saying I should load it really good and add water a little at a time?

I have no perfect formula, because there aren't any.
But I see these 3 same errors, when rookie wetshavers complaint over performance of a soap/cream:

1. They always load far too little product onto the brush. Load twice as much or even more. 
2. They either add too little water or too much water and they do it without having patience. Patience is key, when adding water. Add water 5-6 drops at a time onto the brush, then massage it in, and if needed, add 5-6 drops of water more onto the brush. Continue this until the lather looks great.
3. If needed load the brush in the soap for all the subsequent passes.

Also you write in your OP, that the lather is either too thin or too thick.
This to me sounds liike a rookie error. Not 100% of course, but sounds like a rookie error.

If too thin and it starts to run or you can see your skin through the lather - then load far more soap onto your brush, because you obviously have not loaded enough.

If too thick and it feels like a paste, add water 5-6 drops at a time to your brush, and massage it in. If still too thick, add more drops of water until your lather looks great.

I did have a very bad experience myself with a Lea Classic hard soap, that just did not perform well for me, so I'm not perfect.
But I tried the soap over 3 shaves, and even if I overloaded the brush, the lather came on thick and dense, but began to dry up, even after adding water, the lather just dried up on me and came off in flakes down my shirt.

Next day I used a DR Harris hard soap, and loaded it almosty exactly like I did the Lea Classic, and got a perfect great lather, no drying flakes coming off.

There may be something in your water, that just does do well with your Panacream and Cella - but try my tips first, before you get rid of them. And You also have problems with Razorock, so I'm 99% sure, it's not your water, but your technique - but can't be 100% sure of course, but 99% sure I am  Smile

24 5,833
 07-19-2016, 11:17 PM
User Info

I have been through 6 different tubs of Castle Forbes and some 100 grams of cella by now.

This. Cella is really reliable in my experience. Cella, Arko and Tabac.

10 1,126
 07-20-2016, 06:09 PM
User Info
(07-17-2016, 09:21 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Italian soaps use to be my favorites but soon became something that was not top tier after trying more and more products. I did like the last shave I had with Panna Crema but it was about 2 yrs ago and  would say it is a about grade B.

+1

5 285
 07-21-2016, 04:36 PM
User Info
I found that the Vetiver scent was more of a lavender. I didn't have any problems with the soap as such; just the scent. I'm not a fan of lavender.

22 653