07-20-2016, 12:23 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My Jewish aunt  Yola had this amazing crystal collection in her tiny apartment in Fairfax California. She told me crystal was a craze among new immigrant Jewry from around the world in the 20s as a symbol of new afluence and her own parents bought most of her collection. I got a double dose of the stuff with the irish side having the mandatory Waterford whiskey decanter ( but never any damned whiskey in sight; playing 'the poor mouth' hoping a bottle of Bushmills would come with visiting family).
I was just trying to get into trouble on EVILBAY and found this; $300 + SH. OY VEY! and BEGGORAH!
[Image: ARqnS8d.jpg]

2 3,171
 07-20-2016, 12:53 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Beautiful stuff, Kav. I'd be fearful of breakage from slipping out of wet fingers. However, I think I could go for a crystal shave mug with a handle.

38 5,200
 07-20-2016, 01:09 PM
User Info
I have a Waterford Crystal razor, nos, never used. Nice quality pieces

28 777
 07-20-2016, 01:44 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Gorgeous stuff that crystal but I'd be liking the Bushmills more.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-21-2016, 03:40 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(07-20-2016, 12:53 PM)evnpar Wrote: Beautiful stuff, Kav. I'd be fearful of breakage from slipping out of wet fingers. However, I think I could go for a crystal shave mug with a handle.
Aye lad, but to a man like Kav the cost to replace is a nonissue.  Biggrin

0 363
 07-21-2016, 07:52 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
In my family every house must have a minimum of 3 valuable and collectable sets of china 'the good stuff'  that gets schlepped from residence to residence over decades collecting a patina of greasy dust and MAYBE used once or twice. This is augmented by the daily china consisting of at least 19 mixed patterns from the dollar store, thrift stores, 3 surviving frosted desert cacti plates from  a 1961 Arizona gas station promotion and what people moving out toss in the apt dumpster. This in turn is periodically augmented by paper plates when we get notices to conserve water in drought stricken California. This does not stop looks of approbation by visiting family at my shaving collection.

2 3,171