07-21-2016, 08:26 PM
User Info
Hi Folks,

I'm writing this from the perspective of a regular member here. I don't purport to speak for the admin/mod group in any way.

I've noticed over the last few weeks that our collective behavior has been starting to skew downhill with regards to certain 'premium' brands/products.

I think we all can agree that in the world of consumerism money talks and BS walks and I understand the frustration that surrounds wanting to purchase a product that is unavailable for whatever reason.  But I assure you, our artisans are first and foremost business people who have an awesome product that they want to share with the world.  And as a business person they have every incentive to do what they think it best for their business.  If you think you can do better, you are very welcome to try (and I would LOVE to help beta test what you're bringing to market).  Attacking the folks that are bringing us these amazing products does nothing but discourage our artisans and pushes them toward the 'this isn't worth it anymore' category.  I don't think anyone wants that.  

All the anger over various artisans' practices (and the lucky folk who seem to 'always' be able to get said product) seem to me to be thinly veiled jealousy.  Jealousy unbecoming of fine gentlemen such as yourself.

It seems lately we have lost the focus of our hobby that is wet shaving and all the joy that brings us. This hobby is and always will be something we enjoy alone in our private time for ourselves. The hobby was never about who had the 'best' or 'most expensive' thing; it was never about the product themselves at all but rather the moment of calm when we get a chance to focus on ourselves. 

So let's all take a step back and evaluate he skills we've learned along the way and get back to the enjoyment of a moment in time when you get to take care of you.  Let's let go all the animosity that 'keeping up with the Jones' have brought.  

In the end it was never about the razor or soap or brush anyway and it was always about you.

Shave on!

18 654
 07-21-2016, 09:11 PM
User Info
It seemes to me like I missed something because you are being quite specific in some regards, but I have not been very active lately.
Anyways, it is a very good reminder of why we are here and how easily we dehumanize when behind a screen. I very much appreciate the work of numerous talented artisans we are seing in this industry.
Thanks for your post.

Edit: I see what you mean. Very sad.

8 1,126
 07-22-2016, 04:16 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I hope the forum can get back to the early days, 2012-14 or so. Those were fun.

It certainly has lost a step or 3. The recent Wolfman talk has become absolutely absurd by all involved.

42 1,041
 07-22-2016, 04:57 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Maybe I am missing the negative threads but then all reviews can't be positive either. I would rather not be enticed to try a product because everyone stated how fantastic it was on to find it mediocre. 

Bashing companies should not be allowed. Low stock or limited quantities are not a reason to dislike a company. So I those respects,yes I agree.  

I find reviews of products are usually positive or at least an attempt to find the nicer side exists but honesty prevails. If they didn't they'd be advertisements. 

YMMV says a lot  though not used often by me. Most everything shared regarding products is an opinion. Opinions vary.

7 450
 07-22-2016, 05:41 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 04:16 AM)VTMAX Wrote: I hope the forum can get back to the early days, 2012-14 or so. Those were fun.

It certainly has lost a step or 3. The recent Wolfman talk has become absolutely absurd by all involved.

The thing is the sentiment that I am feeling is not limited to just the 'Wolfman thread'.  I've been noticing that tone (to a lesser degree for certain) in a bunch of threads; especially threads that discuss higher end items.

I don't want to discourage constructive conversation (even if it's a bit negative in tone because not everything's rainbows and butterflies); but at some point we all need to relize that there is a line when things start turning the wrong way.

I have a personal rule that I don't engage past two posts.  After the second post, if the audience I'm conversing with is not able to 'get' my point it's very unlikely that they ever will.

Comon' guys we can do better.  We ARE better than that.  All the 'congratulations for xxx' is starting to seem less genuine and more passive aggressive to me as well.

18 654
 07-22-2016, 05:51 AM
User Info
Leadership starts at the top, I think I read something like that at OCS Smile

61 3,796
 07-22-2016, 06:00 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Thank you so much for this reminder.  I have only been at this for a short period compared to many in this group.  However, during that time, I have acquired quite a den.

I must admit that it has taken me quite a while to learn how and where to buy many of the "premium" and "limited edition" items.  For instance, Simpson does not list a great majority of their LE brushes on their website.  I didn't even know that they existed prior to joining this group.  Once I did, I had no clue as to how to purchase them outside of the BST section of this group.  I had to educate myself on the process.  I had to sign up for Twitter and follow Simpson on both Twitter and Facebook.  The same applies to the artisan products.  As I have learned about these desirable items, I realized that they were not normally in stock.  So, once again, I had to educate myself on the process and timing.

By doing this, I have been able to get much of what I wanted.  (Not always immediately though.)  For instance, I found out how to order a Wiborg.  I then realized that it would take months to get.  But, since I wanted it, I ordered it and waited.  

My encouragement to all of us is simple.  This forum is suppose to foster the joy of shaving and the camaraderie of a common community. We simply need to get back to that.  If you can't live without a certain handle or razor or brush, then you have a bigger issue than brush or razor acquisition disorder.  You need to save up whatever it takes and make an grotesquely overpriced offer on the WTB section.  I can guarantee you that someone will sell you what you want for a price.  But, remember, your impatience will cost you.

I get it.  I want the latest, greatest of it all as well.  But, as I mature, I realize that I can only shave with one razor at a time and one brush at a time.  We are talking about luxury items.  Wow, we really get upset with our first-world problems.

61 507
 07-22-2016, 06:04 AM
User Info
I've noticed that since I stopped buying this and that that I've gotten into enjoying my shaves more. It got to the point that I enjoyed obtaining things than enjoying the items themselves. I still buy a soap or razor from time to time but nothing like I was. 

I personally think everyone should go a good month or 3 and buy nothing. Just enjoy what you have and not worry about what you don't. You will be amazed at how you will find that Zen state we all have come to cherish will suddenly appear again and you will find that happy place again. Focus more on your current rotation instead of adding to it and it will surprise you the items you have but take for granted. 

Just my 2 cents..

147 3,536
 07-22-2016, 06:09 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(07-22-2016, 06:04 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I've noticed that since I stopped buying this and that that I've gotten into enjoying my shaves more. It got to the point that I enjoyed obtaining things than enjoying the items themselves. I still buy a soap or razor from time to time but nothing like I was. 

I personally think everyone should go a good month or 3 and buy nothing. Just enjoy what you have and not worry about what you don't. You will be amazed at how you will find that Zen state we all have come to cherish will suddenly appear again and you will find that happy place again. Focus more on your current rotation instead of adding to it and it will surprise you the items you have but take for granted. 

Just my 2 cents..

That is worth much more than 2 cents.  Well said.

61 507
 07-22-2016, 06:18 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 06:09 AM)gp569900 Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 06:04 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I've noticed that since I stopped buying this and that that I've gotten into enjoying my shaves more. It got to the point that I enjoyed obtaining things than enjoying the items themselves. I still buy a soap or razor from time to time but nothing like I was. 

Just my 2 cents..

That is worth much more than 2 cents.  Well said.
Indeed!  That's worth a lot more.   Well said Freddie.

61 3,796
 07-22-2016, 07:20 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 05:51 AM)hrfdez Wrote: Leadership starts at the top, I think I read something like that at OCS Smile

For sure I don't envy the mods and their job; it's a thankless task to have to balance constructive discourse vs trolls.

I do, however, feel that outright 'deleting' a post may be a bit heavy handed and should be applied in limited circumstances.  But in the end of the day we have human mods to make a human decision.

18 654
 07-22-2016, 07:29 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Chinoserie smashes against the fireplace. Rhett Butler pops up from the divan " Has the war started? Suh, you should have declared yourself! What? and miss that charming scene? Suh, you are no gentleman! And you are no lady! don't worry, your secret is safe with me!' rolling on the divan laughing out loud

2 3,171
 07-22-2016, 07:31 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Kav, just give it a break for God's sake.

42 1,041
 07-22-2016, 07:43 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Put me on ignore. It will help your digestion and sleep.

2 3,171
 07-22-2016, 07:47 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Cute Kav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 1,041
 07-22-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 07:20 AM)GloryUprising Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 05:51 AM)hrfdez Wrote: Leadership starts at the top, I think I read something like that at OCS Smile

For sure I don't envy the mods and their job; it's a thankless task to have to balance constructive discourse vs trolls.

I do, however, feel that outright 'deleting' a post may be a bit heavy handed and should be applied in limited circumstances.  But in the end of the day we have human mods to make a human decision.
I'm with you.  I know exactly what you mean.

61 3,796
 07-22-2016, 07:57 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Does anyone else see the irony here? The petition to the community to be less negative has itself become a negative thread. <sigh>

46 18,333
 07-22-2016, 08:15 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 07:57 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Does anyone else see the irony here? The petition to the community to be less negative has itself become a negative thread. <sigh>

I agree Phil.

If you can't say something nice or constructive then why post?

We are all adults and need to act as such.

I hope whatever bug is going around runs its course soon....

82 2,207
 07-22-2016, 08:31 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
 07-22-2016, 09:42 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 07:57 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Does anyone else see the irony here? The petition to the community to be less negative has itself become a negative thread. <sigh>

(07-22-2016, 08:15 AM)Skinny Rogers Wrote:

I agree Phil.

If you can't say something nice or constructive then why post?

We are all adults and need to act as such.

I hope whatever bug is going around runs its course soon....

Yes. I appreciate the irony. I tried.

18 654