07-21-2016, 11:44 PM
User Info
About a month ago, I purchased 2 tubs of XPEC scented shaving creams. I opened both tubs today and the colouring of the cream of the first one was yellow and the second one was white. Did I get a dud? Shouldn't both be the same colour? I would appreciate some input from members that have used the new formulation XPEC.

0 130
 07-22-2016, 04:34 AM
User Info
(07-21-2016, 11:44 PM)Rhinehoth Wrote: About a month ago, I purchased 2 tubs of XPEC scented shaving creams. I opened both tubs today and the colouring of the cream of the first one was yellow and the second one was white. Did I get a dud? Shouldn't both be the same colour? I would appreciate some input from members that have used the new formulation XPEC.

Interesting.  In my experience the unscented cream is white, but the scented is a very pale yellow to very pale orange/brown in color. Do they both smell the same?  I'd give it a whirl as I can't imagine the color plays any role in performance but there is only one way to find out.

74 2,274
 07-22-2016, 04:44 AM
User Info
Interesting! Can you post a pic?
I'll post a pic of my tub when I get home for you as a reference

13 775
 07-22-2016, 05:06 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Should be OK, depending on fragrance components, they can affect the color slightly, as can slight differences in ingredients, so I would wager that they're good to go despite the color difference.

10 233
 07-22-2016, 06:22 AM
User Info
What color are the labels?  The scented is a brownish orange and the non scented is silver.  That may tell you why the color of the cream is different.  I have the scented and the cream is white.

0 253
 07-22-2016, 06:57 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 04:34 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 11:44 PM)Rhinehoth Wrote: About a month ago, I purchased 2 tubs of XPEC scented shaving creams. I opened both tubs today and the colouring of the cream of the first one was yellow and the second one was white. Did I get a dud? Shouldn't both be the same colour? I would appreciate some input from members that have used the new formulation XPEC.

Interesting.  In my experience the unscented cream is white, but the scented is a very pale yellow to very pale orange/brown in color. Do they both smell the same?  I'd give it a whirl as I can't imagine the color plays any role in performance but there is only one way to find out.

They both smell the same and both are scented. I've tried the white cream (fantastic, by the way) but not the yellow one. I am worried that it has gone off and that it may damage my skin.
Thank you for the insight.

0 130
 07-22-2016, 06:59 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 04:44 AM)snowman Wrote: Interesting! Can you post a pic?
I'll post a pic of my tub when I get home for you as a reference

I am out of town at the moment, but will do when I get home. The tubs are both the scented version.

0 130
 07-22-2016, 07:03 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 06:22 AM)Tidepool Wrote: What color are the labels?  The scented is a brownish orange and the non scented is silver.  That may tell you why the color of the cream is different.  I have the scented and the cream is white.

The labels are both brownish orange and both tubs are the scented version. Of all the creams that I have, this scent is the one I like least of all. Hoping it grows on me because I love the performance.

0 130
 07-22-2016, 07:15 AM
User Info
I just received a reply to my email from the seller, stating that colour variations in creams is quite normal and does not mean that there is a problem with the quality of the product. I was offered a replacement tub of XPEC if I am unhappy with my current tub but I guess I just wanted to be reassured about the quality of the product. I did not know about the colour variations in creams - well, you live and learn. I was suspicious because I have eight tubs of Alvarez Gomez and thy are all the same colour (White).

0 130
 07-22-2016, 07:21 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 07:15 AM)Rhinehoth Wrote: I just received a reply to my email from the seller, stating that colour variations in creams is quite normal and does not mean that there is a problem with the quality of the product. I was offered a replacement tub of XPEC if I am unhappy with my current tub but I guess I just wanted to be reassured about the quality of the product. I did not know about the colour variations in creams - well, you live and learn. I was suspicious because I have eight tubs of Alvarez Gomez and thy are all the same colour (White).

Good to hear!
As a side note, do all of your tubs of Alvarez Gomez have the same texture?  Are some soupier than others?  Do some have small granules?

74 2,274
 07-22-2016, 07:32 AM
User Info
(07-22-2016, 07:21 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 07:15 AM)Rhinehoth Wrote: I just received a reply to my email from the seller, stating that colour variations in creams is quite normal and does not mean that there is a problem with the quality of the product. I was offered a replacement tub of XPEC if I am unhappy with my current tub but I guess I just wanted to be reassured about the quality of the product. I did not know about the colour variations in creams - well, you live and learn. I was suspicious because I have eight tubs of Alvarez Gomez and thy are all the same colour (White).

Good to hear!
As a side note, do all of your tubs of Alvarez Gomez have the same texture?  Are some soupier than others?  Do some have small granules?

I have only opened three of them and yes they have the same texture; not soupy at all. Texture is harder than that of Cella or Razorrock XXX, for example. As for small granules, I did not see any. I suppose if you aerate the cream it could dry up and become grainy.

0 130
 07-23-2016, 09:54 PM
User Info
I have owned two (identical) pots of Alvarez Gomez cream.
One was more croap like, the other a runny fluid cream. Kept the croap, sold the other. Only tested the croap one. Great stuff

24 5,967
 07-24-2016, 06:32 AM
User Info
(07-23-2016, 09:54 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I have owned two (identical) pots of Alvarez Gomez cream.
One was more croap like, the other a runny fluid cream. Kept the croap, sold the other. Only tested the croap one. Great stuff

I also have the crop which I am glad of and it is a great product.

0 253
 07-28-2016, 06:32 AM
User Info
(07-24-2016, 06:32 AM)Tidepool Wrote:
(07-23-2016, 09:54 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I have owned two (identical) pots of Alvarez Gomez cream.

I also have the crop which I am glad of and it is a great product.

I'll say it is. I had 8 tubs and just bought 8 more. At $10 dollars a tub it is a steal. Saison has them on special now for the Antipodean members of this site. I don't know if they ship overseas.

0 130