07-22-2016, 10:28 AM
User Info
This past year, I've found myself being pulled back to shave products and tools that saw a lot of use a few years ago.  

This has occasionally extended to products that I didn't particularly like. The Edwin Jagger XL synthetic brush fits in this category.  When the first wave of new, effective synthetic brushes hit the scene a few years ago, All the buzz seemed to center around Muhle's great silvertip fibre, particuarly when the second version appeared some months later.  I picked up a Large (23 mm) Edwin Jagger silvertip fibre - same hair in a handle that I liked better and loved it.  It whad a good looking, ergonomic handle and had a knot that wast very soft, but could lather everything thrown at it.

Following the threads at the time, I said that I had to pick up the 25 mm version of the same brush.  However I found the knot to be too dense and too big, so it ended up in one the shoeboxes of unloved shave brushes.  Well I pulled this massive brush out of storage last night and used it this morning to bowl lather Coate's Sandalwood shave cream.  Simply put - it was terrific lathering experience.  

The EJ silvertip fibre XL felt more badger like, indeed like the proverbial wall of Badger.  I'll be using this brush more often.  Funny how are tastes change over time.

3 459
 07-22-2016, 03:58 PM
User Info
After the Chubby 2, the Muhle/Edwin Jagger XL are the next best synthetics in my opinion.

48 5,719
 07-24-2016, 06:19 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I was actuallly thinking about this the other day. For a while, the EJ XL syntheic was in many SOTD pics. Now I rarely see it. It is my favorite synthetic.

72 1,225
 07-25-2016, 06:42 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Saw this and remembered I had two of the EJ XL's in a drawer. Used one this morning with some Oliva and it really is as good as anything made today, badger included. I had totally forgotten about these brushes. Wonderful handles too.

Thanks Bob & Gabe!

42 1,041
 07-25-2016, 08:26 AM
User Info
(07-25-2016, 06:42 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Saw this and remembered I had two of the EJ XL's in a drawer. Used one this morning with some Oliva and it really is as good as anything made today, badger included. I had totally forgotten about these brushes. Wonderful handles too.

Thanks Bob & Gabe!

My work is here is done.  Shaving 

It's funny how we shunt aside great shave gear.  I recently pulled out my Simpson 58 in Best and was simply blown away by the softness of this particular brush.

3 459
 07-25-2016, 10:21 AM
User Info
I'm back and forth over preferring the feel and presentation of the STF-style fibres to the Plisson-style. Right now with the new Simpsons synth, I'm preferring. But that will probably change, too.

29 1,776
 07-26-2016, 05:43 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(07-25-2016, 10:21 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: I'm back and forth over preferring the feel and presentation of the STF-style fibres to the Plisson-style. Right now with the new Simpsons synth, I'm preferring. But that will probably change, too.

Luckily you are allowed to have both. Biggrin

I have not tried the Simpsons, but have read great reviews. I really like Ricardo's new Chubby synthetic in Butterscotch. those handles are just a little too short for my tastes.

72 1,225
 07-26-2016, 04:22 PM
User Info
The XL v2 is where it's at. Most people don't want to pay the price of admission but it is far superior to the Plisson style fibers.

14 153
 07-27-2016, 05:56 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(07-22-2016, 10:28 AM)redrako Wrote: This past year, I've found myself being pulled back to shave products and tools that saw a lot of use a few years ago.  

This has occasionally extended to products that I didn't particularly like. The Edwin Jagger XL synthetic brush fits in this category.  When the first wave of new, effective synthetic brushes hit the scene a few years ago, All the buzz seemed to center around Muhle's great silvertip fibre, particuarly when the second version appeared some months later.  I picked up a Large (23 mm) Edwin Jagger silvertip fibre - same hair in a handle that I liked better and loved it.  It whad a good looking, ergonomic handle and had a knot that wast very soft, but could lather everything thrown at it.

Following the threads at the time, I said that I had to pick up the 25 mm version of the same brush.  However I found the knot to be too dense and too big, so it ended up in one the shoeboxes of unloved shave brushes.  Well I pulled this massive brush out of storage last night and used it this morning to bowl lather Coate's Sandalwood shave cream.  Simply put - it was terrific lathering experience.  

The EJ silvertip fibre XL felt more badger like, indeed like the proverbial wall of Badger.  I'll be using this brush more often.  Funny how are tastes change over time.

Yeah, when using this brush I'm not sure what more anyone could want.
If nothing else, the handle is the best I've used on the market.
Then the hairs are engineered for perfection: extreme comfort on the face and efficacy of lather making. No scritchy batches.
Winner.
And it's the closest synthetic to looking like real badger hair. Which does matter a little.

57 2,552