07-22-2016, 01:41 PM
User Info
It's been quite a while since I bought eyeglass lenses, and the last time I purchased directly from my eye doctor.  I now have a new prescription from a doctor who does not sell glasses, so I need to buy lenses to fit my current frame from a retailer.  I want to go to a walk-in store rather than getting the lenses online.  Fairly near to where I live are Lenscrafters, America's Best, Sears Optical, and Pearle Vision.  Has anyone had experience with one or more of these stores, and if so, what are your recommendations?

Thanks!

207 12,354
 07-22-2016, 01:56 PM
User Info
Avoid avoid avoid. 

Find yourself an independent guy. I'm sure they will be happy to fill your prescription even if you didn't see their doctor. 

I've been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old and always had bad luck with the big chain guys. You can get a superior product and better advice from your local guys.

18 655
 07-22-2016, 02:03 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(07-22-2016, 01:56 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Avoid avoid avoid. 

Find yourself an independent guy. I'm sure they will be happy to fill your prescription even if you didn't see their doctor. 

I've been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old and always had bad luck with the big chain guys. You can get a superior product and better advice from your local guys.

+1

60 1,626
 07-22-2016, 03:22 PM
User Info
I have bought the last two pairs from Costco. Their optical lab (it's offsite) gets very high marks, and the prices can't be beat.

Frames = $60 (Timberland this time, a no-name brand last time)
Polycarbonate lenses, with anti-glare and anti-scratch coatings = $75
Edge polish = $10
= $145

My wife went to some local shop and ended up paying $300 after our insurance, so I didn't use the insurance since Costco was still cheaper.

Google "Luxottica monopoly" for an (pun alert!) eye-opening view of the eyeglass industry. In short, Luxottica owns not only most of the major frame brands, but also the vision insurance company VSP and the major vision retailers Lenscrafters, Sears, Pearl, Sunglasses Hut, and more.

6 805
 07-22-2016, 03:43 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Warbyparker.com
Coastal.com

17 535
 07-22-2016, 03:51 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Costco and you don't have to have membership to buy glasses. I agree with DANGER! DANGER! WILL ROBERTSON-especially lensbunglers.
Warby Packer are good for complete units and provide a pair of donated glasses worldwide for every set sold. They now have retail outlets.
My only caveat is the styles are more 'Wheres Waldo' than Steve McQueen Cool

2 3,171