07-23-2016, 10:18 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
late 'dinner date' with Lily after work. We were both stressed by the heat and dinner was a drinkable California champagne and organic strawberries. Home, and I cannot sleep. I play the radio low listening to a marathon program of musicals. My upstairs neighbor  Benji calls down 'Kav, I can't sleep,you? Nope! mind if I practice? Nope! Ben plays the Uke in a crazy klezmer-bluegrass band.  I feel my stubble chin, decide to shave.
I set up on my tiny patio to gather in the cooling night air. I'm in my black kimono lathering up. 3 cats, abandoned by former tenants come out talking to Pye in the window. He gives me his 'feed me' meow and cocks his head toward them. O.K. I open three cans and they attack each dish. The local mated coyotes make a ill thoughht assault. Cats leap up the fence to rooftop and mock them like kids on a bus when the school bully missed it by seconds.  Fledermous' in the nightlight catching insects and blinking lights of aircraft overhead making me half believe in UFOs. the local Chabbad Rebi walks by. ben and I say shabot shalom in unison. he stops, laughs at me. I wanted to laugh back at his grey beard, Homburg and shatnez frock coat in this weather but wisely don't. ben does, laughing he should join the reformed temple. three amigos walk up, going home after a 12 hour shift at the hotel. Buenos dias senor kav, comasta? they laugh at my funny presentation too. hey, can't a man even shave with some dignity? Ben has gone in to shower for his long drive. it's dawn, I rinse and splash on some recently gifted and treasured Endymion.
I go in to seal up the apt and turn on the ceiling fan and prep the AC for later. This piece finishes the program. Perfect, just perfect.
What is your most memorable shave?

2 3,171
 07-23-2016, 10:21 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
The first time it all came together shaving with a straight razor.

12 604
 07-23-2016, 10:37 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
That says it all Thumbup  better than Hemingway.

2 3,171
 07-23-2016, 10:44 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Well said, and I'm sure as true for most as it is for me.

28 1,619
 07-23-2016, 10:53 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I loved watching my grandfather shave as a small boy. Now, I'm probably older than he was at the time, but my best shaves are when I'm also remembering him shaving.

38 5,029
 07-23-2016, 12:30 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I used to sit on the porch with my father on Shelter Island, NY in the summers and we used to shave together in front of Peconic Bay with big bowls of warm water, always with Somerset Simpsons, while everyone was asleep, watching the first fishing boats return with their 5am catch. An Irish immigrant, he came over, joined the Marines, fought in WW2 and Korea, went back to County Kerry raising us 5 with our mother from Dingle village, and would come over every summer. He passed at 90 in the spring so I shave in the same spot alone now...my boys won't wake up yet! Hopefully someday. Dad would like that.

[Image: fed8ece0ca4059e473ae825d559c035e.jpg]

42 1,041
 07-23-2016, 02:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
VTMAX ------gan chainnt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made the obligatory trip back to the family homelands in Ulster and Dublin. Belfast cousins 'one of the lads' take me to Falls Road for a grand tourist's view of Orangemen and Republicans throwing Irish confetti at each other until abruptly on cue each turning for home. What is going on? It's teatime.
I fled on the first bus south and wound up in Dingle listening to seagulls  thinking 'this was great grandmother Hanna's Ireland'. It is so nice to share that memory again.
Kav

2 3,171
 07-23-2016, 04:26 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Kav, It was confetti indeed and more. County Kerry was a respite from that growing up and dad kept the boys away from the Troubles. Met mom in NY from two villages over. They were unusual in wanting to raise kids back home. A lot joined from our County. We are Collins', me Max (unusual) and, of course, a brother Michael Collins. The only German/Jewish non Irish name in the family. Named after a German dad met when they were both underage and snuck in. Traded swords & guns. My father wasn't even an American and didn't even fake an American accent. Roosevelt needed men. He was friends with that German for the rest of their lives, both visiting up until last year. My godfather and I'm named after him. That's a way to stop any Troubles.

My attempt at intelligence and to write like Chris failed but again my apologies for yesterday. It was hot and work sucked.

Back to shaving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 1,041
 07-26-2016, 11:51 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(07-23-2016, 04:26 PM)VTMAX Wrote: Back to shaving!
Reluctantly. Nostalgia plays well the older you get. My grandmother and mother were alike in quickly getting rid of the personal effects of their men after they died. Their shaving gear was never to be seen again. Pity!

Therefore, my most memorable shave was very ordinary by the above standards, and is likely to be eclipsed by a shave that is yet to come. At the moment, though, just seeing how well the AS-D2 shaves me vs. the 7 other razors in the den. It was and is an eye opener.

0 363
 07-26-2016, 01:31 PM
User Info
The shave I remember most clearly was on Christmas morning in 1968, standing at the sink in a pension in Zermatt, Switzerland, with the early morning sun shining on the Matterhorn right out the window and my girlfriend just waking and stretching in the feather bed.  I felt like everything in the world was perfect.

206 12,188
 07-26-2016, 02:10 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Absolutely love Zermatt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 1,041
 07-26-2016, 04:56 PM
User Info
(07-26-2016, 11:51 AM)beamon Wrote:
(07-23-2016, 04:26 PM)VTMAX Wrote: Back to shaving!
Reluctantly. Nostalgia plays well the older you get. My grandmother and mother were alike in quickly getting rid of the personal effects of their men after they died. Their shaving gear was never to be seen again. Pity!

Therefore, my most memorable shave was very ordinary by the above standards, and is likely to be eclipsed by a shave that is yet to come. At the moment, though, just seeing how well the AS-D2 shaves me vs. the 7 other razors in the den. It was and is an eye opener.

I have not found a better, more simple, close comfortable shave with any other razor. I doubt you will either? I have tired most all of the current crop, Stainless and otherwise. I am 69 yrs. Not sure that has anything to do with it? My favorite, most comfortable blade, and close enough shave is with the Black beauty Treet blade!!! Fancy that!!! The AS-D2 is a BEAUTY!!!

0 33
 07-27-2016, 03:04 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(07-26-2016, 04:56 PM)oldjoe Wrote: I have not found a better, more simple, close comfortable shave with any other razor. I doubt you will either? I have tired most all of the current crop, Stainless and otherwise. I am 69 yrs. Not sure that has anything to do with it? My favorite, most comfortable blade, and close enough shave is with the Black beauty Treet blade!!! Fancy that!!! The AS-D2 is a BEAUTY!!!
I haven't tried any Treat blade with it, oldjoe, but the 6 that I have tried all yield a quality shave, for me. Even the oft criticized Derby works well in it. Maybe that Treat Black Beauty blade could make it the most memorable shave. We're just couple of OFs, joe where our most memorable shaves are far less exciting than the younger guys.  Tongue  

Age might have to do with the fact that skin seems to thin with age and probably becomes easier to nick and cut. My skin is now close to 81 years old; so far so good!

0 363
 07-27-2016, 03:31 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
My most memorable but certainly not the most pleasurable was when a instructor in the special forces told us to shave after a 3 day exercise without sleep. You (insert a sh*t load of insulting words) dare to appear before me in that condition. Everybody strip, get in the water, wash and shave (insert even more insulting words). And remember we are in enemy territory, no soap allowed, we don't want them to smell you fa****s from a mile away.

Freezing water, no soap and a whole lot of passes, something you'll remember for a loooong time

28 1,433
 07-27-2016, 08:22 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
My most memorable shave was actually a haircut but could have been a shave. I drove my wife home from the hospital with our new born second child. Got them both comfortable and told my wife I was going to the corner barber shop for a shave and a haircut. The Barber was about half way through cutting my hair when some guy hollered in the door:"Hey Joe can I see you out here?" The barber turned my chair toward the wall and went to the doorway to the shop. The next thing I heard was 3 shots. I sat in the chair fully expecting the next shot to be aimed at the back of my head. The next thing I knew the Perp. was gone ,Cops all over the place and I am being driven to the Police Station.
As much as I tried to explain to the Detectives that I saw nothing and my wife mas home alone with our new born son. They would not let me call her or go home. Finally, they must have believed me and let me go 3 or 4 hours later. I got home and found my wife and son fast asleep. My wife had not realized I was gone as long as I was. Furthermore, she did not believe me as to what happened. That is, not until she saw my incomplete haircut and no shave.

68 1,046
 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Don't leave us hanging, Barrylu. Was the perp tracked down and was the barber the victim. What was the outcome?

0 363
 07-27-2016, 11:58 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Turned out the barber was a Shylock and had threatened the perp and his family. Perp shot him and killed him.Cops thought it was a mob hit but it wasn't. Good for me if it was a professional hit they probably would have taken me out as well.

68 1,046
 07-27-2016, 01:13 PM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Some story! I can imagine what must have been going through your head as you sat there with your back to the action. Ticked off, I'll bet, because your haircut wasn't complete let alone your shave.   Biggrin

0 363
 07-27-2016, 01:30 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Memorable shave!  Tongue

46 929
 07-27-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
Many memories associated with shaving, it would be hard to pick the best.

Good Memory.  In my first year of wet shaving, I picked up a surplus Rudy Vey handle and glued a 24 TGN Finest knot in, giving me a better option than my Tweezerman.  The mailman delivered my first shave stick, Palmolive.  It was winter, so the soap seemed hard, but I was loaded the Palmolive on my whiskers and could see the soap actually sticking to my whiskers.  Face lathing with the new TGN Finest knot not only felt heavenly, but I for the first time, I knew what the expression "exploding lather" meant.  It was a divine  moment in wet shaving.

Bad Memory - Lesson learned.  Last year, my wife and I returned from a long-weekend winter getaway in Maine.  We were scheduled to attend a birthday party.  So me being Joe Pro Wet Shaver decided that I'll do a quick two-pass shave with an Arko stick.  I picked up a SABI T2 razor, thinking that an aggressive razor would make quick work of those whiskers.  Well I was a little too quick with my razor strokes, forgetting to pick up the razor at the bottom of the stroke before I starting the next stroke.  Lets just say that here was lots of blood, and toilet paper patches and a band-aid or two.

My friends at the party know about my hobby, and all had  good chuckle at my expense.

3 459