07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
Driving to work Monday morning I noticed an antique shop on the side of the road. Only having driven by it a couple times a week for the last 15 years, I may be excused for never having noticed it. Stopped in on the way home and that's when the trouble began.

There was a fairly nice display of Straights fro 25 to 45 dollars. Greekguy gave me a little tutorial on what to look for and none of them, to my weak eye, really passed the test but the gentleman working there said the owner was coming in on thursday with a bunch of other razors he acquired recently at an estate sale. More out of curiousity than anything else, I'll go back to look, but before leaving I saw an old injector for 4.50 that was in excellent shape. "WTH," I thought. "That's what I lose every time I resell a razor or soap. Even if I never use it..."and then i just stopped trying to rationalize and bought the darn thing.

So here it is. If I want to shave with it, what do I need bladewise and where do I go to get them?

5 298
 07-31-2012, 10:59 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Chinese made Schick blades are great! Long lasting and very sharp.
[Image: 300.jpg]

88 4,233
 07-31-2012, 11:00 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Chinese Schicks will work. If I had more than one pack of blades I'd send ya a couple. Most grocery stores will carry them.

http://www.amazon.com/Schick-Injector-Bl...ick+blades

There is what the packs look like so you'll know what you're looking for

116 3,804
 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
User Info
Thanks guys. Seems straightforward enough.

5 298
 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
User Info
Report back on how you go with it! I've been keeping my eyes peeling for one at bargain price for a while now.

0 95
 07-31-2012, 05:48 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
That was Schick's greatest achievement in razors as far as I am concerned. Use it well.

100 12,439
 07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-31-2012, 05:48 PM)slantman Wrote: That was Schick's greatest achievement in razors as far as I am concerned. Use it well.

Agree! Everyone should try an injector, they are really great shavers.

88 4,233
 07-31-2012, 06:18 PM
User Info
Hmmm. There was another one there for, I think, 8 dollars. May have to take another look.

5 298
 08-01-2012, 02:15 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Collect em' all! But first try the E to see what you think. Wink

I've ordered the above Injector blades from Amazon recently and it took over three weeks to receive.
Drugstore.com had them for less $ and I received them within three days.
Otherwise, nothing local for me.

6 905
 08-01-2012, 03:38 AM
User Info
Here's a couple of pics of the razor. As they say, no pics, then it didn't happen.

The brown line on the handle, btw, is not a crack. It's just a dark line of color. I like it.

5 298
 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Ah...I found the same one on the Bay recently but for quite a bit more than $4.50!

The E is a bit more aggressive for me than the J or the L that I have but the M adjustable kicks it up a notch or two....well.... because it can be done.

I like the E because it's easy to clean and you can remove the blade without changing it. (I'm still trying to get the process down for removing an Injector blade without replacement on the Injectors that do not have the removable bar or the Hydromagic lever).

I am very curious to read what you think of the shave but
now, Mark, proceed directly back to the car and head for the other Injector that they had available. Wink

6 905
 08-01-2012, 11:14 AM
User Info
Eric,
Leaving the office now. Thanks for the reminder.
m

(08-01-2012, 10:08 AM)EHV Wrote: Ah...I found the same one on the Bay recently but for quite a bit more than $4.50!

The E is a bit more aggressive for me than the J or the L that I have but the M adjustable kicks it up a notch or two....well.... because it can be done.

I like the E because it's easy to clean and you can remove the blade without changing it. (I'm still trying to get the process down for removing an Injector blade without replacement on the Injectors that do not have the removable bar or the Hydromagic lever).

I am very curious to read what you think of the shave but
now, Mark, proceed directly back to the car and head for the other Injector that they had available. Wink

5 298
 08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
What you have there is a Schick E2, very nice.

I get my Schick blades here.

Schick Blades

173 23,500
 08-01-2012, 01:32 PM
User Info
In case anyone's still reading this thread, I didn't get to the antique store. Had to go pick up my car at the shop. I remembered though that they also had some vintage Williams and, I think, Colgate soap. Are they any good? Should I get them and if so, what is a fair price?

5 298
 08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
(08-01-2012, 01:32 PM)oakeshott Wrote: In case anyone's still reading this thread, I didn't get to the antique store. Had to go pick up my car at the shop. I remembered though that they also had some vintage Williams and, I think, Colgate soap. Are they any good? Should I get them and if so, what is a fair price?

Less than $6 to $7 each is a reasonable price but some people are now moving that up to $10 each given that each day they get rarer.

Vintage Williams is a good soap, but you can find currently produced soap just as good or better.

1 2,827
 08-02-2012, 01:26 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(07-31-2012, 11:00 AM)Dave Wrote: Chinese Schicks will work. If I had more than one pack of blades I'd send ya a couple. Most grocery stores will carry them.

http://www.amazon.com/Schick-Injector-Bl...ick+blades

There is what the packs look like so you'll know what you're looking for

I like the Chinese Schicks too, but I've yet to find a grocery store in Southern California that carries them. I've bought all my blades online.

0 911
 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I know they are ridiculously priced, but hey you only live once. And you'll get an amazing amount of shaves per blade

http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Injector-...ersonna+74

5 270
 08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
User Info
(08-03-2012, 10:52 AM)xraygun Wrote: I know they are ridiculously priced, but hey you only live once. And you'll get an amazing amount of shaves per blade

http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Injector-...ersonna+74
Already ordered the schicks or I would have gone for the tungsten.

5 298
 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Trust me, the Schick blades are just as good.

173 23,500
 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
User Info
Well the Schick blades from Amazon arrived yesterday and I loaded up the E2 last night to have a go. By now I know it takes weeks, maybe months before one really understands a razor, but in our fast paced digital age, who wants to wait for real understanding? Hence my first impressions.

I was surprised at how much "tugging" the first pass seemed to have (only one day of growth, floris elite soap for lather). The angle to shave at seemed intuitive, but the blade just seemed to pull. On the second pass, this sensation was greatly diminished, but quite audible and tactile feedback through the razor from the remaining whiskers. Same thing on the third pass.

Here's the shocker: not a single cut or weeper. Nothing. I even tried to be a little more careless on the third pass to see if I could cut myself a little (and because that's just how I roll)and nothing. After my first attempt with an SE there were nearly a dozen bloody weepers and that was exercising as much care as was possible for me. This was the opposite of that.

The alum application afterwards showed that although no blood was shed, my skin was irritated. 18 hours later though, I still have a pretty good shave. It was intriguing enough to keep going until I toss the blade and maybe, just maybe, beyond. To put another way, I was planning on PIF'ing the E2 but may now reconsider.

5 298