07-24-2016, 08:31 PM
User Info
My name has come up for my Wolf Whiskers brush and of course i keep going back and forth about what knot i want to put in. First of all i want badger. I know YMMV, but i just want opinions, thats all. I know everyone is different. Im pretty flexible as far as characteristics of a knot, i just DO NOT WANT PRICKLY OR SCRATCHY. I like to face lather mostly but do like a good bowl lather occasionally. 

Anyways, im really thinking about trying to secure a knot from Elite Razor. This is what im really leaning towards. His new Manchurian and HMW knots sound fantastic, but if i go this route, then which one. All my brushes are 2-band. I love 2-band but im thinking maybe a HMW 3-band might be nice also, you know, to change things up a bit. Actually the HMW is the frontrunner right now. If anyone has any experience with these please tell me about them. 

I have wanted to try an Envy White but im afraid it might be too scratchy for me? What are yalls thoughts, are they scratchy and how much do they soften up?

For some reason im just not to keen on a TGN knot, but if i did consider one it would be the HMW so any comments on it would be appreciated. 

So based on this info, do you guys have any more suggestions or info on these knots?

P.S. i have a shavemac so thats why im not considering one of those.

Thanks,
Todd

0 87
 07-24-2016, 09:09 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I really like the knots from Elite Razor. I prefer the Manchurian, because of the backbone.

38 5,032
 07-24-2016, 10:33 PM
User Info
2 band bulb from Shave Evolution is very soft. I have had a couple and it works well at the right loft for both circles and painting. The tips should develop curly ends (gel tips).

79 1,296
 07-24-2016, 11:37 PM
User Info
I'm allergic to scratchy. 

Envy white (evw)  is not scratchy at all to me. Backbone is medium firm, density is medium.  Good knit for the price and a keeper for me. 

HMW is very soft and has nicely hooked 'gel' tips. A nice bulb shape and medium high density (more dense than Envy white). Backbone is noticeably lower than evw. I've contemplated selling due weaker backbone, but kept it for creams.

Since you're looking for diversity, I'd go thr HMW too.

18 642
 07-25-2016, 09:32 AM
User Info
I have Elite brushes with TGN Finest, WSP Finest, Envy White, and Elite Manchurian White knots.  Elite's new Manchurian White knots are superb.  The Envy White knots are excellent, but may not be for you given your aversion to a scratchy knot.  I like the scrub in the Envy White, but for me it's clearly not as soft as the Elite Manchurian White.  Moreover, I can definitely see someone with different skin than mine describing the Envy White as scratchy or scritchy.  The Elite Manchurian White have no scratch or scritch whatsoever that I can detect.

I would go with either the Elite Manchurian White or Elite HMW.  All my brushes are currently 2-band, but based on the performance of my 24 and 28mm Elite Manchurian White knots, I'm considering the Elite HMW.  As you say, going with the HMW would diversify your rotation.  If you go with the HMW, you may want to consider setting the loft slightly lower than with a Manchurian White.

48 5,718
 07-28-2016, 04:28 PM
User Info
I put my order in and went with the Elite Razor HMW.. its a 24mm knot that takes a 26mm socket so it must be very dense and i went with a 50mm loft.

0 87
 07-28-2016, 05:14 PM
User Info
Sounds like a good choice! Can't wait to see the finished product!

147 3,462
 07-28-2016, 05:17 PM
User Info
(07-28-2016, 04:28 PM)Thundert65 Wrote: I put my order in and went with the Elite Razor HMW.. its a 24mm knot that takes a 26mm socket so it must be very dense and i went with a 50mm loft.

Great choice.  These new Elite premium knots are dense and do indeed take a socket at least 2mm larger than the stated knot size.  I think going with the 50mm loft was the right move, as it will give you the softness of HMW with backbone.  I'lI look forward to your thoughts about the knot once you've had a chance to try it.

48 5,718
 07-29-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
(07-28-2016, 05:17 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 04:28 PM)Thundert65 Wrote: I put my order in and went with the Elite Razor HMW.. its a 24mm knot that takes a 26mm socket so it must be very dense and i went with a 50mm loft.

Great choice.  These new Elite premium knots are dense and do indeed take a socket at least 2mm larger than the stated knot size.  I think going with the 50mm loft was the right move, as it will give you the softness of HMW with backbone.  I'lI look forward to your thoughts about the knot once you've had a
chance to try it.
Thanks, like i said all my other brushes are 2-band so i got plenty of backbone with other brushes. I am looking forward to something a little different. I think at 50mm that it wont have that killer backbone, but it shouldnt be floppy either. I think it should be a fairly versatile brush and hopefully very soft.

0 87