07-25-2016, 10:34 AM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
Hello WSB's (Wet Shave Brothers)... So though I've had my IKON Tech (OSS handle) for a minute now, I just finally got through to it in my razor rotation for the first time.... I loaded it with a Personna 'Platinum' Red (great blade IMO) and proceed to start a two pass shave.  I was in a bit of a rush and though I checked the blade alignment, I didn't inspect the blade gap... I normally shave with the grain first with the more exposed side of a blade, then finish across (if I do a three pass) and against the grain with the less exposed side of a blade.... Well, immediately I had to pull the razor away from my face and check the blade gap!!  I am used to the IKON #101 Dual Comb and it has a mild but very effective blade gap and is what I consider a medium aggressive razor... but the 'Tech' ..... OMG... aggressive as HELL!... might as well had been shaving with a straight!  After I found the right angle I was ok, and I enjoyed the shave overall, but that thing irritated my face and I am no beginner at this.... I might load it up with a really mild blade next time, like a Derby or a Merkur.

Can I get some feed back (negative or positive) from my WSB's here.  Would really like to know your experiences.  Thanks guys.

129 320
 07-25-2016, 10:54 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
My favorite razor!

[Image: t2xzZxFh.jpg?1]

31 434
 07-25-2016, 11:17 AM
User Info
Wish I could help at this time. I like you prefer against the grain first pass and like using it with aggressive razors but this is a razor I have yet to get. Still undecided whether I will pick it up but one thing many have stated was that the blade isn't held quite as tight as others so maybe see if it is less irritating on a with the grain pass.

I may have to revisit this thread in the future to share my experience.

82 1,373
 07-25-2016, 03:34 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(07-25-2016, 11:17 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Wish I could help at this time. I like you prefer against the grain first pass and like using it with aggressive razors but this is a razor I have yet to get. Still undecided whether I will pick it up but one thing many have stated was that the blade isn't held quite as tight as others so maybe see if it is less irritating on a with the grain pass.

I may have to revisit this thread in the future to share my experience.

Hey Zac, no no, I think you mis-read the post... I definitely do a two pass shave mostly, but I always start with the grain and then against the grain.  This razor just took me off guard by how aggressive it is! Woo hoo!

129 320
 07-25-2016, 04:16 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I have to use a very steep angle with this one. I have found that sharp blades (Feathers, Personna Med Preps and Polsilver Iridiums) work best for me, given the steep angle.

6 388
 07-25-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
Had one for a little bit and sold it. Was just too aggressive for my taste. Didn't matter which blade I used.

148 3,600
 07-25-2016, 04:53 PM
User Info
This is an extremely aggressive shaver! Very similar to the Muhle R41, but smoother. Regardless, much too aggressive, for me. Blush

83 21,115
 07-25-2016, 04:54 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(07-25-2016, 04:16 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I have to use a very steep angle with this one. I have found that sharp blades (Feathers, Personna Med Preps and Polsilver Iridiums) work best for me, given the steep angle.

Yeah, I probably used the steepest angle I have ever needed to use with any razor just to get it adjusted to my face correctly

129 320
 07-25-2016, 08:42 PM
User Info
More comments that only make me more interested to try it. I don't mind using the steep angle as now the DE razors I use call for it. But pbrmhl mentioned using sharp blades. I like to use Kai's in the R41 and if a razor head and cap don't hold a blade quite as tight, then I think that may be an advantage to use something that is less likely to tug or skip.

Anyway, I did misread your post but the technique I have now evolved to is to use the aggressive razors with 3-4 days growth. I then go against the grain for the first pass. I should be able to get a majority of the growth mowed down so that the 2nd pass whatever way is as minimal as possible. 

Although you're saying the razor was really aggressive, and it left you a bit irritated, did you experience razor burn or nicks or something else?

82 1,373
 07-25-2016, 10:30 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(07-25-2016, 08:42 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Although you're saying the razor was really aggressive, and it left you a bit irritated, did you experience razor burn or nicks or something else?

Hey Zac, yes, it left me a bit irritated and of course a few nicks, but the irritation was gone that night

129 320
 07-25-2016, 10:44 PM
User Info
(07-25-2016, 10:30 PM)TONE_Shaves Wrote:
(07-25-2016, 08:42 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Although you're saying the razor was really aggressive, and it left you a bit irritated, did you experience razor burn or nicks or something else?

Hey Zac, yes, it left me a bit irritated and of course a few nicks, but the irritation was gone that night

Thanks for your reply. I try to get specifics from people when having these discussions. To me, it isn't detailed enough when I hear people say have sensitive skin. I have no clue what they are referring to. So that is why I let folks know that my skin is very nick prone. Today's shave was a very uncommon one. I had only one nick! That is not how I judge my shave but does indicate what condition my skin was in before the shave and how well it was protected during.

Anyways, I would say play with the blades a bit. I would say you chose a good blade. I like Personna Reds but haven't used them for a while. They seem to be interchangeable with Crystal Platinums in my experience. I am not sure what other blades besides the Merkurs and Derbys that you would find smooth yet on the mild end. Neither of those come up on my end although Derbys work fine in my R41s. Voshkod and Pol Silver (current production) are considered a bit milder than the Kai's for me as well as maintaining smoothness.

82 1,373
 07-26-2016, 08:33 AM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(07-25-2016, 10:44 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(07-25-2016, 10:30 PM)TONE_Shaves Wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  I am not sure what other blades besides the Merkurs and Derbys that you would find smooth yet on the mild end. Neither of those come up on my end although Derbys work fine in my R41s. Voshkod and Pol Silver (current production) are considered a bit milder than the Kai's for me as well as maintaining smoothness.

I am definitely going to play with a wide array of blades for this particular razor.  I really like the razor a lot but I just need to find the right combination for it between its angle, the right blade and my skin sensitivity level.  I mentioned the Derby's and the Mercers because they are (to me) on the bottom of the line of being a smooth but not very sharp, and I'm thinking that may do the trick for me. Thanks man!

129 320
 07-26-2016, 09:08 AM
User Info
The Shavecraft Tech is very aggressive probably equal to the R41 2011 version but this Giesen & Forsthoff sold for $19.95 at Amazing Shaving is by far the worst I have ever shaved with. You would have to try it to know what I am talking about.

[Image: hkHb2cI.jpg]

122 13,216
 07-26-2016, 09:59 AM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(07-26-2016, 09:08 AM)slantman Wrote: The Shavecraft Tech is very aggressive probably equal to the R41 2011 version but this Giesen & Forsthoff sold for $19.95 at Amazing Shaving is by far the worst I have ever shaved with. You would have to try it to know what I am talking about.

[Image: hkHb2cI.jpg]
OUCH!

129 320
 07-26-2016, 11:35 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It's a great razor. The most aggressive DE of all those I have tried till today. But it's not for daily shaves. I enjoy it more with two or three days of growth. If you respect it as a shaving tool, you will have some of the most enjoyable shaves with it.

49 2,017
 07-26-2016, 12:27 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(07-26-2016, 11:35 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
It's a great razor. The most aggressive DE of all those I have tried till today. But it's not for daily shaves. I enjoy it more with two or three days of growth. If you respect it as a shaving tool, you will have some of the most enjoyable shaves with it.

Nikos, I totally agree, not a daily shaver by far, but for the occasional heavy growth shave where you want to test your skills as a wet shaver, the razor is perfect.

129 320
 12-20-2016, 10:52 PM
User Info
The Ikon Tech is aggressive as hell. No matter what blade I tried, it didn't smooth out. Every blade tugged in it, even Feather blades. The tug is horrible when I shave against the grain. It feels like I'm using a dull blade.

0 13
 12-21-2016, 01:48 AM
User Info
I tried using iKon Tech but failed - this is too aggressive, probably, the most aggressive among the current modern razors I used. IMHO, among vintage, only Le Coq with the Famex caged head supersedes this Tech in terms of aggression. I am more comfortable being within a Super Speed - Rocket level of aggression.

29 275
 12-21-2016, 02:21 AM
User Info
More aggressive than Muhle R41?

36 910
 12-21-2016, 11:13 AM
User Info
I sold mine.  I like aggressive razors, and this one fits the bill.  It wasn't the aggressiveness that I didn't like though, it just wasn't comfortable.  Felt like it was scraping a bit, no matter which angle I tried.  I'll take my 2013 R41 or my wide open adjustables (including a Futur) any day.

1 297