07-26-2016, 04:56 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I have shaved with so many types of razors (standard DE bar, OC, SE, straights, cartridge, etc). But, until today, I have not shaved with a slant.

This morning I used my new ATT S1. I was a little apprehensive at first. Someone told me that they would cut themselves more frequently with a slant. I found the experience invigorating. After a tentative start, I quickly found my groove and quickly achieved a fantastic BBS shave. This might be my new favorite.

One quick question. How do you even up your sideburns or get in those tight spots with the angle of the razor being off in the head compared to a straight bar? Does it just come with practice? Or do I simply need to grab another razor for those straight edged trimming I need to do?

61 507
 07-26-2016, 06:21 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Took the question right out of my mouth since I don't own a slant, and have the same questions. I guess you merely rotate the razor so that the blade is as near perpendicular to the desired razor path as possible. Awaiting the 'slant cognoscenti' to appear and answer our newbie slant questions.

0 363
 07-26-2016, 07:41 AM
User Info
(07-26-2016, 04:56 AM)gp569900 Wrote: I have shaved with so many types of razors (standard DE bar, OC, SE, straights, cartridge, etc).  But, until today, I have not shaved with a slant.  

This morning I used my new ATT S1.  I was a little apprehensive at first.  Someone told me that they would cut themselves more frequently with a slant.  I found the experience invigorating.  After a tentative start, I quickly found my groove and quickly achieved a fantastic BBS shave.  This might be my new favorite.

One quick question.  How do you even up your sideburns or get in those tight spots with the angle of the razor being off in the head compared to a straight bar?  Does it just come with practice?  Or do I simply need to grab another razor for those straight edged trimming I need to do?
For my sideburns, I angle the head of the razor to line up the actual blade with my desired straight cut. I then immediately return to pulling straight towards the handle. For those close spots, under the nose, around the mouth, with experience, you will learn the correct blade position. Good luck and enjoy your ATT S1.

39 3,919
 07-26-2016, 10:39 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Some tools evoke rumor of imminent destruction; often by non users.

2 3,171
 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(07-26-2016, 10:39 AM)kav Wrote: Some tools evoke rumor of imminent destruction; often by non users.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleZvTSDC6s

That's awesomely funny!

61 507
 07-26-2016, 11:20 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(07-26-2016, 10:39 AM)kav Wrote: Some tools evoke rumor of imminent destruction; often by non users.
OMG, Jean Sheppard lives! Well, he doesn't but it would be great if he still was alive. Used to lie in bed, late at night in our PA home and listen to Jean spin his tales on WOR out of NYC. One of the best down-to-earth raconteurs in the biz. Now, to swing back to shaving, he often talked of his father shaving, cutting himself with abandon and coming to the breakfast table with more toilet paper on his face than was on the roll.

0 363