07-26-2016, 06:52 AM
User Info
So, after being impressed by the reviews of the Hone 15, I decided to do the decent thing, and order one for myself. It arrived today, and the first thing that strikes you is the quality of workmanship, that and the fact that it's a heavy lump 'o brass... only downside is.... I won't have time for a shave until Thursday... D'oh!! So watch for my SOTD when I match it with a Kai, a blade that I found a little rough with the Weber. Ooh, it really is a 'Looker'.. Biggrin

0 316
 07-26-2016, 09:06 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have one as well...a very nice smooth shaver....and the most COOL of all my razors....(super fun to use and hold and even just look at)....made a razor holder from brass water pipe fittings and i,m surprised that it gets hardly any press or reviews.....one of my absolute favorites.

6 2,044
 07-26-2016, 11:15 AM
User Info
We need pictures!

50 6,412
 07-26-2016, 11:22 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
for the razor go to hone- shaving .com...for the razor stand go to local plumbing store..(1/2 " brass fiting of choice) screwed into base of bronze or brass

6 2,044
 07-26-2016, 11:50 AM
User Info
(07-26-2016, 11:22 AM)Harvey Wrote: for the razor go to hone- shaving .com...for the razor stand go to local plumbing store..(1/2 " brass fiting of choice) screwed into base of bronze or brass

Is the smooth brass handle slippery when wet?

50 6,412
 07-26-2016, 01:33 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Not at all....similar to the STANDARD razor and the BEVEL razor which have a "sandblasted texture"....appears smooth but is not slippery...the razor is quite heavy but the way it is designed it is easy to hold and move around the face...

6 2,044
 07-26-2016, 03:56 PM
User Info
I have brass but it seems to get me in trouble frequently. So this is a mild razor, that cannot be used with aftermarket handles, is heavy, has no grip, and is £110?

Are there any benefits?

63 1,721
 07-26-2016, 05:04 PM
User Info
(07-26-2016, 03:56 PM)NSmalls Wrote: I have brass but it seems to get me in trouble frequently. So this is a mild razor, that cannot be used with aftermarket handles, is heavy, has no grip, and is £110?

Are there any benefits?
I think you're not the demographic they are aiming at.

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

0 163
 07-26-2016, 06:22 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Everyone of us is searching for the perfect "tool"...or "toy" and I doubt there is a single person on this forum that has ONE RAZOR.....so this helps to fill up the Shave cave and has been fun to use and a pleasure to own...or putting it another way...i,m not selling mine.

6 2,044
 07-27-2016, 03:44 AM
User Info
(07-26-2016, 06:22 PM)Harvey Wrote: Everyone of us is searching for the perfect "tool"...or "toy" and I doubt there is a single person on this forum that has ONE RAZOR.....so this helps to fill up the Shave cave and has been fun to use and a pleasure to own...or putting it another way...i,m not selling mine.

Thanks for your explanation. There are those of us that approach this from a different perspective. I am constantly trying to simplify mine. If something isn't top shelf it goes. Appreciate your use for this though and hope you enjoy.

63 1,721
 07-27-2016, 05:47 AM
User Info
NSmalls, some of the things that you apparently think of as negatives might be positives to somebody else.  For example, some people don't have any extra handles lying around and thus want to use the handle that comes with the razor.  Some people think a heavy razor works better, and thus would be happy that the razor is heavy.  Some people greatly prefer mild razors, and thus the fact that it is mild would be a plus for them.  Whether it has or hasn't a "grip" can only be determined by shaving with it, methinks.  You suspect it would have no grip, but somebody upthread said that he has used it and has no problem with the grip.  

Your final concern, the fact that the razor costs a lot of money, is the only thing on the list that is likely not viewed as a positive by anyone, although I have known some people who feel that if something isn't really expensive it can't be any good. ;-)

2 1,548
 07-27-2016, 09:47 AM
User Info
(07-27-2016, 05:47 AM)kingfisher Wrote: NSmalls, some of the things that you apparently think of as negatives might be positives to somebody else.  For example, some people don't have any extra handles lying around and thus want to use the handle that comes with the razor.  Some people think a heavy razor works better, and thus would be happy that the razor is heavy.  Some people greatly prefer mild razors, and thus the fact that it is mild would be a plus for them.  Whether it has or hasn't a "grip" can only be determined by shaving with it, methinks.  You suspect it would have no grip, but somebody upthread said that he has used it and has no problem with the grip.  

Your final concern, the fact that the razor costs a lot of money, is the only thing on the list that is likely not viewed as a positive by anyone, although I have known some people who feel that if something isn't really expensive it can't be any good. ;-)

I appreciate your outlook, thanks for this.

63 1,721
 07-27-2016, 12:52 PM
User Info
(07-27-2016, 09:47 AM)NSmalls Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 05:47 AM)kingfisher Wrote: NSmalls, some of the things that you apparently think of as negatives might be positives to somebody else.  For example, some people don't have any extra handles lying around and thus want to use the handle that comes with the razor.  Some people think a heavy razor works better, and thus would be happy that the razor is heavy.  Some people greatly prefer mild razors, and thus the fact that it is mild would be a plus for them.  Whether it has or hasn't a "grip" can only be determined by shaving with it, methinks.  You suspect it would have no grip, but somebody upthread said that he has used it and has no problem with the grip.  

I appreciate your outlook, thanks for this.

I like most of the questionable features brought up, weight, looks, patina, mild but effective etc. I have some old brass "cage" lights in my shave area
that were salvaged from a USS Naval Cruiser I spent 3 years on during Vietnam war and the Hone goes as  well as "guided" and "missile".
Very nice substantial razor, mine's aboard my shave cave for good!

5 21
 07-27-2016, 03:34 PM
User Info
Love my Hone Type 15. Beautiful piece of craftsmanship and I have found that pairing it with a Voshkod blade gets me the best shaves from it. It is heavy but extremely well balanced. Haven't found the right polish for it yet to keep the spots from coming as it is brass. Some people like the patina look but I like to keep it looking smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 951
 08-08-2016, 11:41 AM
User Info
I love my Hone 15. It's nice and heavy but delivers a mild shave. I haven't tried cleaning the patina yet but if anyone has a great/simple method, please share.

Thanks!

Ward

7 567
 08-08-2016, 11:54 AM
User Info
If I had one, I would definitely NOT "clean" the patina.  That's part of the beauty of a brass razor.  Not to mention the fact that the patina actually makes the metal stronger.

2 1,548
 08-08-2016, 03:22 PM
User Info
(07-26-2016, 06:52 AM)Str8 Shaver Wrote: So, after being impressed by the reviews of the Hone 15, I decided to do the decent thing, and order one for myself. It arrived today, and the first thing that strikes you is the quality of workmanship, that and the fact that it's a heavy lump 'o brass... only downside is.... I won't have time for a shave until Thursday... D'oh!! So watch for my SOTD when I match it with a Kai, a blade that I found a little rough with the Weber. Ooh, it really is a 'Looker'.. Biggrin

where are the pics and review, cmon now.... I asked on their FB page is they plan on releasing more aggressive version and they replied yes they will

0 212
 08-09-2016, 02:51 AM
User Info
(07-27-2016, 03:34 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Love my Hone Type 15. Beautiful piece of craftsmanship and I have found that pairing it with a Voshkod blade gets me the best shaves from it. It is heavy but extremely well balanced. Haven't found the right polish for it yet to keep the spots from coming as it is brass. Some people like the patina look but I like to keep it looking smooth.

(08-08-2016, 11:41 AM)Shave Monkey Wrote: I love my Hone 15. It's nice and heavy but delivers a mild shave. I haven't tried cleaning the patina yet but if anyone has a great/simple method, please share.

Thanks!

Ward

There is a brass polish on the market called Brasso that works quite well. I prefer the polished look of brass to the patina look and Brasso does the trick to keep a brads razor handle nice and polished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,318
 08-09-2016, 04:25 PM
User Info
Anyone see the new razors on their website in black and silver? I think the a stands for aluminum. Anyone know for sure?

0 951
 08-09-2016, 04:27 PM
User Info
Thanks!!

0 951