07-26-2016, 01:55 PM
User Info
Hi fellas,

First off I will admit I am not a novelist so I apologize if my thoughts are not worded in the most  eloquant way possible.  Second the point of this thread is not to stand on my soap box and publicly call out the nay sayers, my point is to offer insight to Wolfman and to ask a few questions that have never been brought up.  Over the past year through countless texts, emails and phone conversations I have developed a very good friendship with James.  No I have never met him in person but I know things about his business and him as a person that yes I would absolutely call him a friend.  

I have watched over the last several months several Wolfman threads spiral out of control and the negativity surrounding this brand at times is a bit unsettling.
I hope to share some information through recent conversations that will help people really understand James as person and the Wolfman brand.  
I feel like I have beat this to death but just so we are all clear.  James is a one man operation.  Machinist, book keeper, IT guy, product ordering guy, machine maintenance guy , customer service guy.... you get the point.  A direct quote from James when talking about his success.  'When I started out I guess I could have made a simple functioning razor, but why?" I am a professional, I'm not a guy in his garage that has a regular job."  "If I can make a razor to exact tolerances, I will, If I can polish a razor like a mirror, I will."   My point is James shot for the mountains aiming at the moon and instead has landed firmly next to Neil Armstrongs foot prints.  With that comes a certain amount of learning and growing pains.  James is completely humbled by the success of his razor but never thought he would be as busy as he is.  Here is a question.. Do you think the WR1 head was labeled "1" with he intention of it being the only razor head James has designed.... Second question do those of you current Wolfman owners after seeing the craftsmanship believe James is not fully capable of coming up with boundary pushing designs and seeing them through to reality..........

Now to the sad part.  For a guy that is creative and passionate do you know how much of a bummer it must be to sit on new designs and keep cranking out the same thing day after day knowing you have SO MUCH MORE to offer.  I beg the question, how could James possibly release another razor head design given the backlash over his production ability for his very first design, the WR1

James is deeply committed to fulfilling the wish to own one of his razors.  That being said he is literally limited to hours in the day, the need for sleep and the need to eat.  Many of you may not know but he works in his shop 7 days a week and has sustained this for MONTHS now.  He is accommodating to blade gaps, handle lengths and such in an effort to make sure you get what you want.  Not to mention his neurotic attention to detail.  Here is his dilemma.  Imagine washing your own car, waxing it, polishing the chrome, detailing the tires.. making it perfect.  You know there is not a water streak, a piece of bug gut or a piece of paint that is flawless, now take your car, drop it off at the local car wash and pick it up in an hour.  Tell me with a straight face it is in the same condition as when you did it...  So you see hiring help or outsourcing is just not in the cards but yet people are loosing their minds.  I will not repeat the things that have been said to James but no man should have to endure the kind of fallout and stress he has just for making a great product.  Let us not forget this is a hobby we all do for fun.  For the hunters out there that are trying to make an easy buck off the back of another one shame on you.  For those that feel it is their divine right to own a Wolfman shame on you, and for those out their that think it's ok to be a tough guy just because your online shame on you.  I feel very fortunate to have the ability to pick up the phone and bs with James.  I can tell you he is an extremely nice guy who has no plans on going anywhere.  He will continue to make razors so everyone that wants one, you will get your chance.  I promise.  

The internet is not perfect, lists are not perfect, one man trying to navigate orders coming in from around the globe is not perfect.  I ask everyone please try and understand and be sympathetic to a man that really has YOUR wants at the top of his list.

DISCLAIMER:  I have not received ANYTHING for free from James, my bank account will testify to that.  James and I are friends but mark my words I wrote this on my own accord with ZERO input from James.  I feel bad for the amount of stress the guy is under and my goal with this is to try and bring some clarity to the forum.

17 1,297
 07-26-2016, 01:58 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Agreed, Tappan.

102 18,558
 07-26-2016, 01:59 PM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Very well said.  Thank you for the post.

7 1,164
 07-26-2016, 02:03 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The military adage "Hurry up and wait" works for me. Someday I may be able to commission a WOLFMAN. I will put one extremely demanding
criteria on it 'suprise me'.

2 3,171
 07-26-2016, 02:07 PM
User Info
Too much entitlement in the hobby. Thanks for your post and the sentiment behind it Tappan.

61 1,710
 07-26-2016, 02:10 PM
User Info
Well said. I hope others will read and gain some understanding/take something positive from this.

147 3,465
 07-26-2016, 02:10 PM
User Info
Well stated Tappan

82 2,180
 07-26-2016, 02:11 PM
User Info
I believe you made an admirable defense of a friend, and it seems unanimous from those that know him, find him to be a fine fellow.  I, too, am fortunate to have one of his razors, but I suggest a moratorium on those posting pics of their Wolfman "collections" since those less fortunate get very annoyed and it fuels resentment among the have-nots.

6 185
 07-26-2016, 02:21 PM
User Info
(07-26-2016, 02:11 PM)Never2Close Wrote: I believe you made an admirable defense of a friend, and it seems unanimous from those that know him, find him to be a fine fellow.  I, too, am fortunate to have one of his razors, but I suggest a moratorium on those posting pics of their Wolfman "collections" since those less fortunate get very annoyed and it fuels resentment among the have-nots.

Yes, the 'have-nots' thinly veiled jealousy is very apparent. But of course they will claim it's about 'fairness'. 

Life is not fair my friends. Hold yourself to a higher standard!

18 642
 07-26-2016, 02:35 PM
User Info
I saw a B&B thread that was pretty brutal.  I was one of the 40 people chosen to order a Wolfman from the waitlist.  As excited as I was, after reading that thread I almost emailed James and told him to remove me from the list and give the slot to someone else...until I realized how dumb that would be.  I want a Wolfman really bad, so I understand people's frustrations, but some people need to chill out.  There will be other opportunities.

1 10
 07-26-2016, 02:35 PM
User Info
Well said Tappan!

16 1,893
 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Nice words Tappan!

59 4,389
 07-26-2016, 03:08 PM
User Info
I just wonder how many of the whiners have ever put their full effort into something only to have their efforts denigrated and minimized because they didn't make it fast enough, or in enough quantities, or had their choices lambasted to hell and back. 

I also wonder how many of the whiners that didn't get on the list intended to just order plain Jane stainless steel standard gap razors. I bet in their furor to criticize they failed to read that James was going to be stocking the website with the standard offerings as often as possible. 

Entitlement is a nasty disease, and it always seems to rear its head toward the nicer, more dedicated people. That's the problem with making a high quality, low volume product. You get high volume, low quality criticism.

9 42
 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM
User Info
(07-26-2016, 03:08 PM)MrTooNiceGuy Wrote: That's the problem with making a high quality, low volume product. You get high volume, low quality criticism.

Love the turn of phrase you used there and couldn't agree more with all that you wrote. Dude is busting his tail off and some of these cats can't see that.

-Jesse

80 947
 07-26-2016, 03:47 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I like the Wolfman as I do other razors but these "have-nots, jealously, and whiners" comments are absolutely childish. It never ends. Unbelievable.

42 1,041
 07-26-2016, 04:12 PM
User Info
I have emailed James on a few occasions and has always taken the time to reply to all my emails...and I am not even a cieint yet, although I hope to be one soon!  Seems like a great guy to me.  Afterall, he is Canadian!

1 145
 07-26-2016, 04:14 PM
User Info
I'm with you on most of this here.

The biggest dissapointment for me was just how the most recent list was played. I waited patiently for over a year after I missed the wait list by a week. I checked in every now and then, he was very nice in the beginning, a little short  towards the end as I'm sure he was getting pestered and criticized, no big deal.

I showed up to an advertised baseball game, wearing my cleats, baseball glove and uniform. My team won! Yay! At the end of the game the commissioner came in and said sorry folks, were now playing basketball to see who is the actual winner. So naturally my cleats slipped and slided on the court and i lost, i only had about a 1 in 8 chance now! I see he then changed again and now has an extra person instead of the original 40, to fix some discrepency? I believe a lot of ppl had discrepencies but oh well. So the commissioner has changed rules twice now of how he wanted the game to be played. Looking at an update on his web page it doesn't even seem like he was ever going to go by the first 40 for his list. This is judging off his most recent update.

I won't bash James, I won't bash anybody that's made a relationship with him, I think most ppl here are fine folks and very respectable gentleman.

I think its a tough pill to swallow when I played by all of the rules in this game and still ended up with zippo in the end. I don't feel entitled to anything, I work hard for my money, I have bills to pay, I wait patiently as asked and told and try my hardest to not let my Irish side come out. 

All this is, is a diplomatic rebuttle, to the original posting. Another side to the story. James is entitled to run his business how he sees fit, he's earned it, he's an entrepreneur! I agree a lot of these threads have gotten derailed, especially from 'ex-lurkers', its  dissapointing seeing the extreme behaviors displayed recently.

Also I don't believe ppl should have to hide their wolfmans or not display them proudly to the community. I'm sure once other ppl receive theirs they will want to do the same!

Cheers folks, happy shaves and I apologize if I offended anybody

26 763
 07-26-2016, 04:15 PM
User Info
Now the bottleneck in production has been discovered. Tappan is keeping him on the phone & away from the workshop. Stop it Tappan!

I kid, I kid. Well said.

31 8,056
 07-26-2016, 04:21 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Very well said, Tappan, thanks.

38 5,036
 07-26-2016, 04:22 PM
  • kav
  • Banned