07-27-2016, 10:18 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
So, I have been wet shaving for almost a year now.  I have tried tons of different product--razors, creams, brushes, etc.  I have landed in what I think is a VERY good place and I am extremely pleased with my current den and the resulting shaves I get.  Here is what I have landed on:

Razor: Rockwell 6S - freaking awesome

Blades: I use Feather, Israeli Personna, GSB, Voskod, plus a few others--all work well.  Not sure here because they all work great with the Rockwell.  

Brushes: Simpson 58 in Manchurian (so lucky to have this), Simpson Colonel (as my back-up)

Soaps: Mike's Rose & Cedarwood, Cold River Soap Works Burgamont & Bay, Castle Forbes Lime, Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill, Caties Bubbles Gardenia, Czech and Spieke C&O, Barrister & Mann Seville

AS: Floid Blue and Floid Vigrosso (mainstays), Pinaud Clubman (for an occasional change)

AB: Nivea Sensitive ASB (I rarely use balms but found this cheap and a great performer to boot)

So, as I said, I LOVE the results I get.  That said, I am never completely happy with anything I do as a hobby.  What am I missing guys?  What should I be shooting to acquire next...scents and or products?  BTW, I am hoping for suggestions that are MEANINGFULLY BETTER than what I already have, not just matching performance.  Thanks for your suggestions!

7 191
 07-27-2016, 10:35 AM
  • 55dougie
  • Doug Korn's Workshop - Artisan
  • NY USA
User Info
Ya need more stuff...... especially a custom brush or two,  Thumbup ...

24 602
 07-27-2016, 10:39 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
A brush should be allowed to properly dry out FULLY between use.  It's no different than quality leather dress shoes or any number of other possessions. I let mine go 72 hours. So my first suggestion above all else is a third brush. have you tried Polsilvers or Kais blades? You can try some classic  soaps; new and old; Mitchell's Wool Fat, Pre de Provence, Brutalt Bra, Savonerrie du Mouli, Tabac come to mind. Aftershaves? Another highly regarded product is Alt Innsbruk. Phil has all this loot and a 15 percent sale good through today.

2 3,171
 07-27-2016, 10:40 AM
User Info
Dabble with vintage razors as well as modern creations. I'll second the recommendation for trying other knots and handle styles.

0 650
 07-27-2016, 02:13 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(07-27-2016, 10:35 AM)55dougie Wrote: Ya need more stuff...... especially a custom brush or two,  Thumbup ...

I agree!!

7 191
 07-27-2016, 02:17 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(07-27-2016, 10:39 AM)kav Wrote: A brush should be allowed to properly dry out FULLY between use.  It's no different than quality leather dress shoes or any number of other possessions. I let mine go 72 hours. So my first suggestion above all else is a third brush. have you tried Polsilvers or Kais blades? You can try some classic  soaps; new and old; Mitchell's Wool Fat, Pre de Provence, Brutalt Bra, Savonerrie du Mouli, Tabac come to mind. Aftershaves? Another highly regarded product is Alt Innsbruk. Phil has all this loot and a 15 percent sale good through today.
Sounds like good justification on a third brush.  I was kind of thinking of a boar.  I would like to try one.  Thanks for the soap suggestions.

7 191
 07-27-2016, 02:20 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(07-27-2016, 10:40 AM)ssultan Wrote: Dabble with vintage razors as well as modern creations. I'll second the recommendation for trying other knots and handle styles.

Hmmm.  I always have wondered about vintage.  Will any ne better than the Rockwell?  I have been super impressed with that.  Before I had a Merkur HD and an EJ 89.  They were both very good, but I like the Rockwell better.

7 191
 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM
User Info
You need unobtaininumrazornumeraluno, since numeraldos is still being prototyped.

18 642
 07-27-2016, 02:38 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(07-27-2016, 02:23 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: You need unobtaininumrazornumeraluno, since numeraldos is still being prototyped.

YES!  Must get my hands on that.

7 191
 07-27-2016, 02:50 PM
User Info
Next up - travel gear. You don't want to lose your expensive Rockwell to the Thieving Security Agency, even in a checked bag, and a synthetic brush will dry overnight which is important for packing it up and avoiding mold or issues while it's in a suitcase.

And have you tried Palmolive sticks, Haslinger, Chiseled Face, or Valobra soaps?  Those are brands I am a big fan of -- and Valobra also includes the AoS Tallow off the 'bay.

6 681
 07-27-2016, 03:00 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(07-27-2016, 02:50 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Next up - travel gear. You don't want to lose your expensive Rockwell to the Thieving Security Agency, even in a checked bag, and a synthetic brush will dry overnight which is important for packing it up and avoiding mold or issues while it's in a suitcase.

And have you tried Palmolive sticks, Haslinger, Chiseled Face, or Valobra soaps?  Those are brands I am a big fan of -- and Valobra also includes the AoS Tallow off the 'bay.

Well, I rarely go anyway so I have time to asseassemble the travel kit.  As for the soaps, I love Valobra.  I have the Czech and Spieke C&O (made by them).  It's great!

7 191
 07-27-2016, 03:07 PM
User Info
Congratulations! The 6s is an amazing shaver, very good value indeed.

Hmm... what would I suggest..

More everything! Lol!

But watch your budget mate, don't go overboard like I did when I was first starting out... sheesh

10 1,131
 07-27-2016, 03:16 PM
User Info
I wouldn't really try to acquire anything else.

Have fun and enjoy what you have.  Focus on your technique and your good shaves will continue to improve.  Currently, I have been using a DE for about 7 years.  About 3 years ago, I dropped my brush in the sink and my lather was much thinner than normal.  It resulted in the my best shave to date.  I kept trying different things and seeing how my shaves were impacted.  Now I am able to pull fantastic shaves from a tech to the R41 and everything in between.

18 586
 07-27-2016, 03:19 PM
User Info
You have a very good lineup, but I have two suggestions:

1) A french soap with Ass Milk.  As Kav said, Savonnerie du Moulin.  Or the one I have: Savonnerie des Volcans/Savonnerie de Bon Berger.  All available at Bullgoose.

2) A Plisson-style synthetic brush.  They're just indisputably great, super cheap and they dry in one day so you can use in between the badgers.  I like the Stirling 26 mm and 24mm, or the ones from Maggard and Razorock/IB are great too.

11 967
 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Fragrances.  You need fragrances.

159 1,316
 07-27-2016, 04:22 PM
User Info
You don't have any toners; E.G., Catie's Bubbles, or Saponificio Varesino. They are almost as thin as an aftershave, but provide moisturization like a balm.

26 986
 07-27-2016, 04:31 PM
User Info
Brush.
Boar or horse hair.

Aqua Velva. The nectar of the gods.

Vintage soaps. 
Yardley's, Old Spice, or Currier and Ives. Williams shave stick if you ever come across one.

Vintage stainless steel blades. 
They do not make blades like they used to. 
Gillette Spoilers, Personna 74's, Schick Krona Chrome and Plus Platinums, Wilkinson Sword. Anything from the 60's to the 80's.

7 1,315
 07-27-2016, 04:43 PM
User Info
Straight razors - you need to get in to straight razors....

[Image: j8608.jpg]

4 465
 07-27-2016, 05:32 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Some great suggestions that have me thinking...keep them coming guys!

7 191
 07-27-2016, 06:01 PM
User Info
First off congratulations on getting to a good place with the state of your den.

That's a feat many never accomplish.

I would recommend picking up another brush or 2.

There are many great brushes and artisans making handles that your options are endless.

If you buy an already made brush I'd recommend a Thater 4125 2 band. To me it's about as good as it's ever going to get for an off the shelf brush.

As for aftershaves I love what your using. I'll throw out some affordable aftershaves that are great to me. Well brands that is...
Check out Fine and Pitralon.

As for soaps I agree with SDM. Bufflehead is great if you can get your hands on it. SV is another I highly recommend. Jabonman has a variety of scents that are very good and the performance is outstanding. MWF and Tabac I feel all should try at some point.

Good luck!

82 2,178