07-27-2016, 12:15 PM
User Info
Hello everyone,

My name is Scott and I live in Victoria, BC, Canada. I've been lurking this site for a few years now learning more about wet shaving and I am ready to dive into this great world of vintage shaving. I have struggled with a good shave without terrible razor burn, and after a few years of having a 6 o'clock shadow, I bought the best electric razor and it's treated me well for the last 20 years. But it's working like crap and I am fed up with bad shaves again, so I want to get into the wet shaving world and have a great shaving experience. 
I mentioned that I have struggled with terrible razor burn, so I would love to get some advice on what should I get started on. 

Cheers,

Scott

0 2
 07-27-2016, 02:48 PM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook.  Unless your work requires you to be clean shaven every day,  I would shave every other day for the first little while.  Say a few weeks to a month.  Keep the number of passes to a minimum at first until your skin begins to tolerate a blade vs. an electric.  Resist the urge to achieve the Baby Butt Smooth result until your technique has improved.  So, initially your face will appear clean shaven but you'll have stubble in some areas if you feel for it.  Once you've got the hang of using the right amount of pressure (very little at first) to cut whiskers effectively without "razing" you can move on to against the grain passes to get the deluxe ultra smooth BBS results.  Everyone's directional growth is different,  but generally speaking, down from sideburns to jawline, down from jawline to Adam's apple and down on your upper lip.  Going upwards or "against the grain"  on your neck area may result in razor burn at first so you'll have to experiment with that on your own to see if you can tolerate it yet.  Some of us on here have found that shaving with cold water and using mentholated lather like Proraso Green (Shoppers Drug Mart or online vendors listed on this site) helps avoid razor burn.  It does for me.   I'm 55 years old and could not shave ATG or every day for the first while but can do so now since my technique has improved.   Something that is often recommended here on the forum is to stick with the same razor and brand of blade for a while.  That allows you to zero in on the variables in your technique rather then trying to determine if a bad shave was because of this razor vs. that razor or blade choice etc. 

Enjoy.

1 230
 07-27-2016, 02:56 PM
User Info
Welcome, neighbour. Hello

83 21,115
 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN!

16 1,981
 07-27-2016, 03:47 PM
User Info
Welcome, hey

1 92
 07-27-2016, 05:11 PM
User Info
(07-27-2016, 12:15 PM)MarleyMachineWorks Wrote: Hello everyone,

My name is Scott and I live in Victoria, BC, Canada. I've been lurking this site for a few years now learning more about wet shaving and I am ready to dive into this great world of vintage shaving. I have struggled with a good shave without terrible razor burn, and after a few years of having a 6 o'clock shadow, I bought the best electric razor and it's treated me well for the last 20 years. But it's working like crap and I am fed up with bad shaves again, so I want to get into the wet shaving world and have a great shaving experience. 
I mentioned that I have struggled with terrible razor burn, so I would love to get some advice on what should I get started on. 

Cheers,

Scott

Welcome to TSN!  My recommendation, hands down are Polsilver blades and a good adjustable razor - I prefer the Merkur Progress, having tried nearly a dozen other fixed blade razors.  I think the Merkur Progress ($70) is likely the best razor on the market - especially for the price.  

I get 10 shaves from each Polsilver blade - that's about $0.03 each.  

You need a couple other items, items I consider indespensible:
-- a good cream or soap 
-- an alum block - rub your face with it after shaving.  Provides mild antiseptic relief.
-- a good after shave balm - I've found Trumpers Skin Food the best (for me - YMMV).  Soothes and leaves your face soft and dry.

Of course, read all the threads/posts and come to your own conclusions.

Enjoy!!   Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

0 401
 07-27-2016, 09:50 PM
User Info

Cheers,

Scott

Enjoy the ride Scott...Happy Shaves!

5 118
 07-28-2016, 08:20 AM
User Info
Hello Scott, from just south of you in Seattle! I've used an electric shaver (still do, now and then) but am thoroughly enamoured with wet shaving! The razor you choose is important, but somewhat less important than your shave preparation. A good soap or cream and a decent shaving brush, along with some practice making a good lather will take you a long way towards shaving happiness.

Most folks you'll encounter here will be using either legacy shaving hardware (straight razor, double edge razor [usually Gillette] or single edge razors made in the past), or modern double edge razors (Parker, Mühle, or Merkur, & etc.). Whatever you choose regarding hardware, your shave prep will be the most crucial aspect of your shave. Starting with a shaving brush and cream seems to be the easiest way to transition from electrics.

I think I can speak for all of us here at the Shave Nook when I say that you are very welcome here, and we're all keen to hear what hardware and software you choose, and how it's working for you! As with most things in life, slow and steady wins the race!

5 395
 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN  Scott.  You'll find much knowledge and friendship here.   We look forward to your participation.

51 6,437
 07-28-2016, 10:25 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Paul Bryan

0 768
 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info

Cheers,

Scott
Support Canadian production and buy a ROCKWELL Model 6 S..comes with 3 plates of various aggression and is truly one of the best razor investments you will ever get...stick with it for at least a month and if you go razor crazy then get a Merkur Progress....then hide all your cash and credit cards and do not buy another Razor for at least 2 more months.....other wise you will end up like most of us with more razors that will never get used and a serious addiction....just a thought from a fellow Canadian...(from Calgary) now living in California.

6 2,048
 07-28-2016, 10:51 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride Smile

3 4,679
 07-28-2016, 05:34 PM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
Hello and welcome!

11 686
 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM
User Info
Welcome bud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

0 3
 07-29-2016, 12:19 AM
User Info
Hello Scott, welcome to: " The Shave Nook "  Relax & Enjoy.

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 07-29-2016, 03:42 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN!

4 475
 07-29-2016, 04:06 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Welcome to TSN!

26 4,953
 07-29-2016, 04:38 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
welcome to the forum

28 1,449
 08-06-2016, 09:31 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Greetings Scott, welcome to the Nook.

99 18,011
 08-11-2016, 06:27 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the welcome everybody, it's been busy around here, so I haven't had much free time. 
But thanks for all the recommendations, will be looking into this very soon.

Cheers,
Scott

0 2