07-27-2016, 02:42 PM
User Info
Sigh.. I chipped one of my favorite brush, it fell on the bathroom floor.. Any advice how to lessen the eye sore, gents?

[Image: 9C2RVrm.jpg]

10 1,141
 07-27-2016, 02:59 PM
User Info
Do you have the other piece?

26 762
 07-27-2016, 03:05 PM
User Info
(07-27-2016, 02:59 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote: Do you have the other piece?

A chunk but not complete, I couldn't find the other small bits. Bad eyes sight and all.

10 1,141
 07-27-2016, 03:07 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
What you have is a classic percussion flake. It says something for the quality of the material to mimic obsidian, flint, chert and fine china to behave that way. The flake should be recoverd and is likely in one piece. I would contact the maker and consult on the proper adhesive. An alternate solution would be to cap the base in a thin copper or german nickel veneer. You would fill in the bulb of percusion with 'cement' as used to wieght and reinforce fine sterling pieces. then you could engrave something fancy like DO NOT DROP ME in latin.

2 3,171
 07-27-2016, 03:12 PM
User Info
(07-27-2016, 03:07 PM)kav Wrote: What you have is a classic percussion flake. It says something for the quality of the material to mimic obsidian, flint, chert and fine china to behave that way. The flake should be recoverd and is likely in one piece. I would contact the maker and consult on the proper adhesive. An alternate solution would be to cap the base in a thin copper or german nickel veneer. You would fill in the bulb of percusion with 'cement' as used to wieght and reinforce fine sterling pieces. then you could engrave something fancy like DO NOT DROP ME in latin.

Bahahaha! Yes! Do not drop! Hahaha! I like that.

Theres a big chunk, but a one or two really small almost specks that I wasn't able to find.

That is certainly a great idea.. hmmm... cover the base with something... 

Thanks Kav, you certainly gave me something to think about.

10 1,141
 07-27-2016, 03:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
by the by, what make of brush is it?

2 3,171
 07-27-2016, 03:48 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My idea may prove expensive. You could opt for a filigree to cover the damage and still display the bulk of the handle.

2 3,171
 07-27-2016, 04:00 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear about that.  It's never happened to me but I've thought about it and it would definitely be upsetting.

48 5,727
 07-27-2016, 04:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
You could also have the bulb ground out even and drill holes for a lanyard ring. Then you   buy a dress parade sidearm lanyard line, loop one end around your neck and stop worrying about dropping it.

2 3,171
 07-27-2016, 04:13 PM
User Info
What kind of brush is it?

Can you ask the person who made it?

Do you love the knot more than the handle or the other way around?

Sorry to see this happened. I don't really have any practical advice but I hope you can work something out to save the brush in one way or another.

7 1,316
 07-27-2016, 04:26 PM
User Info
There really is only one recovery method - buy two replacements!  Biggrin

26 986
 07-27-2016, 07:23 PM
User Info
(07-27-2016, 03:29 PM)kav Wrote: by the by, what make of brush is it?

Wolf Whiskers. It's a beautiful beehive in poseidon theme.

(07-27-2016, 04:00 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Sorry to hear about that.  It's never happened to me but I've thought about it and it would definitely be upsetting.

Oh man, it is. The horror when I found the chip, I felt cold inside... lol. It has never happened to me, until that day. It sucks!

(07-27-2016, 04:04 PM)kav Wrote: You could also have the bulb ground out even and drill holes for a lanyard ring. Then you   buy a dress parade sidearm lanyard line, loop one end around your neck and stop worrying about dropping it.

Lol, if only I knew I was going to drop it.. sigh. I was at a hotel with my kids, and I dropped it at around midnight (I'm telling you that hotel is haunted!). I was about to go to sleep but decided to go to the bathroom to check if the brush was dry. I flicked it a little, like I always do with my brushes, but for the first time, it slipped from my hand and fell into a very cold and hard hotel bathroom floor.

I don't know what was I thinking when I decided to bring this brush and not an inexpensive synthetic. I mean it would still bother me if that happens to my $10 dollar brush but I'd rather that than this. I must have stared out blankly into the horizon for an hour, waiting for the reality to sink in. Lol! It was one of my favorites, come on.

(07-27-2016, 04:13 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: What kind of brush is it?

Can you ask the person who made it?

Do you love the knot more than the handle or the other way around?

Sorry to see this happened. I don't really have any practical advice but I hope you can work something out to save the brush in one way or another.

Thanks Todd, the feeling sucks. I did ask Peter and he suggested maybe buffing it so that the eye sore may not be too obvious. I just know my OCD will bother me to no end!  I really liked the handle, but I have also started to like the knot. At first I didn't like the Uberknot so much cause I find it had too much backbone, but to my surprise, the performance of the knot before this happened was really nice.

(07-27-2016, 04:26 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: There really is only one recovery method - buy two replacements!  Biggrin

Lol! I'm thinking the same thing, but this one is like a one time thing, hopefully the merchant I bought it from would have another one just like this or even resemebling this. I really liked the ergonomics, the color scheme and I'm also starting to appreciate the Uberknot. 

There will be another chip though. My wallet..   Babeando

10 1,141
 07-27-2016, 07:27 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
It's still your favorite brush. If it can be buffed perhaps do a rolling wave motif around the base to accent the Posieden theme. @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

2 3,171
 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Glue what's left of the piece back in place with CA glue (as conservative as you can to avoid bumps), then use the same CA glue to fill in the gaps and valleys. You may have to do some intense sanding and buffing to get it back to 'as before', but it can be done so as to not notice the imperfection without very close inspection.

10 231
 07-27-2016, 08:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(07-27-2016, 07:46 PM)Viking Wrote: Glue what's left of the piece back in place with CA glue (as conservative as you can to avoid bumps), then use the same CA glue to fill in the gaps and valleys. You may have to do some intense sanding and buffing to get it back to 'as before', but it can be done so as to not notice the imperfection without very close inspection.

This is a very practical solution. It's a project I'd feel comfortable undertaking. Otoh Kav suggested some thoughtful and clever design ideas that I'd love to see performed by a real artisan.

4 1,940
 07-27-2016, 09:31 PM
User Info
(07-27-2016, 03:07 PM)kav Wrote: What you have is a classic percussion flake. It says something for the quality of the material to mimic obsidian, flint, chert and fine china to behave that way. The flake should be recoverd and is likely in one piece. I would contact the maker and consult on the proper adhesive. An alternate solution would be to cap the base in a thin copper or german nickel veneer. You would fill in the bulb of percusion with 'cement' as used to wieght and reinforce fine sterling pieces. then you could engrave something fancy like DO NOT DROP ME in latin.

Brilliant!

14 153
 07-27-2016, 10:35 PM
User Info
Have the bottom cut off, have a new bottom made, make it into a 2 piece akin to the Fine brushes.

7 305
 07-28-2016, 12:24 AM
User Info
(07-27-2016, 07:27 PM)kav Wrote: It's still your favorite brush. If it can be buffed perhaps do a rolling wave motif around the base to accent the Posieden theme. @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yes sir, it is indeed. It's one of my favorites, and I am not a rich man. Every penny I spent, I have worked hard for. Sadly I am not in the CONUS, so it's hard to find artisans who can help me with this endevour. I have to pay shipping from the merchant to my forwarder, wait for forwarder to accept, weight and measure for another week, pay the shipping forwarder once it's been processed, all of this would take more or less a month before it arrives on my doorstep. Hence the hurt was double..  Confused

(07-27-2016, 07:46 PM)Viking Wrote: Glue what's left of the piece back in place with CA glue (as conservative as you can to avoid bumps), then use the same CA glue to fill in the gaps and valleys. You may have to do some intense sanding and buffing to get it back to 'as before', but it can be done so as to not notice the imperfection without very close inspection.

I like this solution, I have never even heard of a CA glue, but upon my research, it looks like it's locally available! Perhaps I should also polish? Would a typical liquid polish like the ones used for brass work for these kind of material? Thank you, again, I am off to buy the CA glue first thing in the morning! Smile

(07-27-2016, 08:19 PM)chazt Wrote:

This is a very practical solution. It's a project I'd feel comfortable undertaking. Otoh Kav suggested some thoughtful and clever design ideas that I'd love to see performed by a real artisan.

Indeed, and sounds easy enough to do for a klutz like me.

(07-27-2016, 09:31 PM)TAB Wrote:

Brilliant!

Agreed. The man is very interesting.

(07-27-2016, 10:35 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Have the bottom cut off, have a new bottom made, make it into a 2 piece akin to the Fine brushes.

Sounds great, but no artisans in my location though. I think it's a great idea btw, perhaps change the bottom into some sort of a dark blue-ish clear acrylic to simulate water. I like it.

10 1,141
 07-30-2016, 10:36 PM
User Info
(07-28-2016, 12:24 AM)1Geralt Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 10:35 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Have the bottom cut off, have a new bottom made, make it into a 2 piece akin to the Fine brushes.

Sounds great, but no artisans in my location though. I think it's a great idea btw, perhaps change the bottom into some sort of a dark blue-ish clear acrylic to simulate water. I like it.

Do you live in the States? There are a LOT of guys that make brushes here, and I would bet one of them would be up to the challenge. 

Another option, if its the knot you are attached to that is, would be to just have the knot removed (or do it yourself) and just have a new handle made.

I have a Simpson Special I dropped and chipped the first week I had it. The chips are tiny, and the brush is fairly inexpensive, but I'm thinking about chopping the bottom off and having a new bottom made now lol =P

7 305
 07-31-2016, 02:07 PM
User Info
(07-30-2016, 10:36 PM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 12:24 AM)1Geralt Wrote:

Do you live in the States? There are a LOT of guys that make brushes here, and I would bet one of them would be up to the challenge. 

Another option, if its the knot you are attached to that is, would be to just have the knot removed (or do it yourself) and just have a new handle made.

I have a Simpson Special I dropped and chipped the first week I had it. The chips are tiny, and the brush is fairly inexpensive, but I'm thinking about chopping the bottom off and having a new bottom made now lol =P

Nope, not in the US. I agree this would have been quite easy to fix if only I was, I would gather.

I'm sorry about your brush dude, it sucks, I know the feeling.. lol. This was like... hmm my 3rd week I think since I've had it?

I'm off to get a CA glue and try to repair the damage. I really liked the handle, and I have gone through numerous hoops just to be able to get it. I got attached to it by default.. haha.

I'll post some pics again and let you guys know how it worked out with the glue.

Let us know also what you did with yours, at least you can have your creative juices running when designing your brush! Maybe it would turn out even nicer Smile

10 1,141