07-27-2016, 09:20 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've learned over the past years a quality Badger, properly cared for can last a good decade and beyond, more if rotated. I've seen the EBAY
offerings; universally with a Gumby hairdo and often hair that looks like mine since I utterly cannot swallow a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil
daily to look like Fabio. We haven't really researched age demographics here. I'm sure my brushes will remain in fine shape to join my other grave goods -or sold on EBAY by some distant relative. But we have younger members who one day may indeed see today's premium brush
enter it's own twilight. I would love to see photos, if available of such brushes; their signs of age and loss of usefullness. Think I'll order pizza.
Where's Fabio now?

2 3,171
 07-28-2016, 05:28 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've been shaving for 50 years and I've yet to wear out a brush.  The closest I've come is with my Rooney Finest 2/1 where the centre of the knot has started to hollow out or crater.  I've owned the brush for about 8 years and it hasn't had excessive use.  Currently I own 30 brushes and rotate every day so it's unlikely that I'll wear one out.  Nevertheless, I'm scrupulous in how I maintain my brushes.  I guess they'll be buried with me along with my fountain pen collection and sandcast Colonial Williamsburg reproduction brass candlestick collection.

7 909
 07-28-2016, 05:34 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
[Image: RKOtjce.jpg] 

Here's the Rooney Finest knot.  Make my pizza a thin crust with pepperoni, mushrooms and extra cheese, please.

7 909
 07-28-2016, 08:40 AM
User Info
(07-28-2016, 05:34 AM)Rufus Wrote: [Image: RKOtjce.jpg] 

Here's the Rooney Finest knot.  Make my pizza a thin crust with pepperoni, mushrooms and extra cheese, please.

It does look like it's starting to form a crater in there, but still, looks good for that many years of use.

Do you baby this? Do you use circular motions and really make it splay when lathering or just mainly soft paint strokes?

11 1,169
 07-28-2016, 09:13 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I always assumed the Gumby bristles seen on vintage brushes came from the storage of the brush. I've seen older shave scenes (depicted in movies and TV)  where the man shaves and just places the brush back into the mug where his soap is. Over time this would cause the bristles to dry and slant in that matter. I pat them dry using a towel, wipe the handle, then place it neatly back in it's place. Same goes for my razors.

75 1,310
 07-28-2016, 01:43 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The Gumby look definitely is from storing in a cup. I remember years past on another forum a ANGRY post from a new shaver posting photos of his new badger. It had dried in an elliptical list  he took as defect. I asked if he had fluffed it? 'fluffed it'? In our disposable culture the concept of
maintaining tools beyond 90 days seems foriegn. Which reminds me, time to toothpick the peanut butter and jelly out of my keyboard.

2 3,171
 08-09-2016, 05:57 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-28-2016, 08:40 AM)1Geralt Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 05:34 AM)Rufus Wrote: [Image: RKOtjce.jpg] 

It does look like it's starting to form a crater in there, but still, looks good for that many years of use.

Do you baby this? Do you use circular motions and really make it splay when lathering or just mainly soft paint strokes?

I only face lather and use creams in the main.  I start by lathering in a circular motion and once lather is made I use paint brush strokes, but I don't think I mash the brush when I lather nor do I baby it.  I lather this way with all my 33 other brushes and none has cratered like the Rooney Finest, which is my most expensive brush.  I'm perplexed and very annoyed.

7 909