07-31-2012, 08:32 PM
User Info
My Trumper's Coconut cream lasted me about a year in a half.

0 35
 07-31-2012, 08:40 PM
User Info
I have so many open and in use that I probably won't use anything up for about 10 years even if I don't buy any more. That is, unless I want to use something up by concentrating on using it up. That's not likely to happen.

When I first started I got nowhere near what you got for longevity with any of the products I was using.

32 6,309
 07-31-2012, 08:54 PM
User Info
Body Shop Maca Root croap in a tub lasted for, oh, close to four years before the last ¼ of it started to smell a little funny.

A harder soap or cream in a tube should last forever - even more so since I keep buying more Tongue

3 3,562
 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
User Info
(07-31-2012, 08:40 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I have so many open and in use that I probably won't use anything up for about 10 years even if I don't buy any more. That is, unless I want to use something up by concentrating on using it up. That's not likely to happen.

When I first started I got nowhere near what you got for longevity with any of the products I was using.

Name everything you got.

0 35
 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM
User Info
Wow! That's a lot like work! How about I just count? One is vintage and you've never heard of it, I didn't either (Barbershop). There's one contemporary brand that I just bought and never heard of it (Cirmes Montenegro, found on e-bay, but I bought it unused from a s/t forum). 3 others are soaps that others would never use, exclusive to me, bar soaps I use to train myself to use substandard soaps not intended for shaving. The rest are soaps/creams you'd recognize.

I can tell you that the products I did use up were VDH and Williams.

I just counted. 24 soaps (one of the 24 will arrive in a day or 2- Klar Kabinett) and 5 creams. Some of the soaps are sticks turned into pucks. I do use sticks, just not in stick form most times. One of that count is a tallow based bar soap not intended for shaving but it works OK and I use it mostly for breaking in new boar brushes, but a shave now and then is also in it's future and past. 2 more in that count are glycerine bar soaps that are incredibly good shave soaps, but again, not intended for shaving.

I can take a pic tomorrow, but the Klar Kabinett may be missing as I already explained above.

Edit: added picture so that I wouldn't do a lot of typing.
Lots of folks on this forum have LOTS MORE soaps than I have.
[Image: Untitled-6.jpg]

32 6,309
 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
My oldest soap is close to 3 years old. Creams, on the other hand, get tossed if I haven't used them up in 18 months.

0 204
 08-01-2012, 12:34 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-31-2012, 09:47 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Wow! That's a lot like work! How about I just count? One is vintage and you've never heard of it, I didn't either (Barbershop). There's one contemporary brand that I just bought and never heard of it (Cirmes Montenegro, found on e-bay, but I bought it unused from a s/t forum). 3 others are soaps that others would never use, exclusive to me, bar soaps I use to train myself to use substandard soaps not intended for shaving. The rest are soaps/creams you'd recognize.

I just counted. 24 soaps (one of the 24 will arrive in a day or 2- Klar Kabinett) and 5 creams. Some of the soaps are sticks turned into pucks. I do use sticks, just not in stick form most times. One of that count is a tallow based bar soap not intended for shaving but it works OK and I use it mostly for breaking in new boar brushes, but a shave now and then is also in it's future and past. 2 more in that count are glycerine bar soaps that are incredibly good shave soaps, but again, not intended for shaving.

I can take a pic tomorrow, but the Klar Kabinett may be missing as I already explained above.

Beautiful collection! Many of my favorites, warms my heart Biggrin Babeando

EDIT: Just noticed, there is top row, let's see it!

88 4,233
 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
User Info
(07-31-2012, 09:47 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Wow! That's a lot like work! How about I just count? One is vintage and you've never heard of it, I didn't either (Barbershop). There's one contemporary brand that I just bought and never heard of it (Cirmes Montenegro, found on e-bay, but I bought it unused from a s/t forum). 3 others are soaps that others would never use, exclusive to me, bar soaps I use to train myself to use substandard soaps not intended for shaving. The rest are soaps/creams you'd recognize.

I'm kind of saddened, because I was hoping to see them in their original containers. But they still look cool in blue ziploc containers. It looks better with the original bowls, don't you agree? But why on earth do you have so many soaps?

Now let's see your aftershaves collection next!

0 35
 08-01-2012, 04:08 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-01-2012, 03:56 PM)ChiTownCliff Wrote:

I'm kind of saddened, because I was hoping to see them in their original containers. But they still look cool in blue ziploc containers. It looks better with the original bowls, don't you agree? But why on earth do you have so many soaps?

Do you think this is "many soaps"? Biggrin
Stick around and talk to us in a few months.

88 4,233
 08-01-2012, 04:12 PM
User Info
(08-01-2012, 04:08 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(08-01-2012, 03:56 PM)ChiTownCliff Wrote:

Do you think this is "many soaps"? Biggrin
Stick around and talk to us in a few months.

You got pictures too? Let's see!

0 35
 08-01-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
CTC, well, first you asked for a list, that wouldn't have shown packaging.

I buy soaps, not packaging. See my Klar Seifen review to understand why. You'll never use the packaging to shave with, and sometimes it's clearly terrible. The ziploc containers are ugly but extremely functional.

I didn't post the pic to impress you with packaging that doesn't work well together, I posted it so that I didn't use my time to type a list. Wink If it isn't fun I don't do it.

32 6,309
 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM
User Info
I guarantee his list of AS would be much more simple, straight forward, & final. I bet he even has it in its original packaging. Winky

31 7,912
 08-01-2012, 09:02 PM
User Info
(08-01-2012, 08:14 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I guarantee his list of AS would be much more simple, straight forward, & final. I bet he even has it in its original packaging. Winky

Brian, you have a way with words! I absolutely love the dry humor!

ROTFLMAO x10! Yes indeed, and some not even labeled yet! Just check past SOTDs.

I didn't know how to say it Brian! So I didn't touch it.

Most of what I have in the cabinet hasn't been used in 30 years- frankly, it's just kid stuff IMO and I don't want to go back there. I need to move it to make room. I have a few splashes of 40 year old Old Spice left in the bottle and that will eventually be used by me. I use maybe a splash every year; I love Old Spice! In many years past I'd drive past the Nutley (NJ- at least I think it was Nutley- it was a long time ago) Old Spice plant and the fragrance was intoxicating at 65 MPH, just don't breathe too deeply. The stuff I use most frequently now is somewhat known and some is experimental. Most of what I read of today doesn't interest me in the slightest because now I know the wheat from the chaff, and I get an earful from my testers.

Right now (in SOTD) I'm using Witch Hazel because I want to experience the full after effect of the (fantastic) soaps I'm testing. I eagerly anticipate getting back to what I truly love though. I miss it and it gets harder each day to reach for the WH to keep the test going. If the skin care from the soaps being tested wasn't as good as it is, I'd reach for my bottle of KFBR or LEKFM in a heartbeat. If the Klar Kabinett doesn't come in tomorrow I'm considering suspending the soap test and coming back to it in a few days. I'm dyin' here!

BearTrap, I just saw your edit.

The next shelf up is razors, that's why I cropped the image- it wasn't relevant to the thread.

Once the Klar Kabinett comes in and is on the soap shelf I'll take another picture and update my shave nook post. But not all of the razors can be seen since the foreground razors cover the razors to the back. There is only one contemporary razor on that shelf and lots and lots of vintage DE and mostly SE. Biggrin It helps me to save money on shaving.

I'm trying to cut back on purchases and the KK is intended to be my last for quite some time. Yeah I Know! We all know how that works don't we!? (Just tonight I bought a pristine Rolls Razor)

AD is interesting, but enough is enough already! But I couldn't pass on the Rolls R'.

Geez, I love bladeshaving! I'm saving all kinds of money! Biggrin

32 6,309
 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
User Info
(08-01-2012, 07:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: CTC, well, first you asked for a list, that wouldn't have shown packaging.

I buy soaps, not packaging. See my Klar Seifen review to understand why. You'll never use the packaging to shave with, and sometimes it's clearly terrible. The ziploc containers are ugly but extremely functional.

I didn't post the pic to impress you with packaging that doesn't work well together, I posted it so that I didn't use my time to type a list. Wink If it isn't fun I don't do it.

It seems I've upset you here, Shadowsdad. My apologies. This wasn't my intention. I never said your collection wasn't impressive. I'm just use to seeing soaps with their bowls and assumed you'd have them with their original bowls.

0 35
 08-02-2012, 10:24 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-02-2012, 10:03 AM)ChiTownCliff Wrote:
(08-01-2012, 07:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: CTC, well, first you asked for a list, that wouldn't have shown packaging.

It seems I've upset you here, Shadowsdad. My apologies. This wasn't my intention. I never said your collection wasn't impressive. I'm just use to seeing soaps with their bowls and assumed you'd have them with their original bowls.

Oh you're definetely made him angry! You should never say things like this in public...
Biggrin
Just kidding! I am sure he is fine Wink
Those little zippies are the best soap containers ever. Almost all of the original tins/shmins/tubs do not make loading the brush easy.

88 4,233
 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
User Info

I don't grin and wink at folks I'm upset with.

Sorry I can be short at times. I wasn't upset but it sure might be read that way from what I wrote especially if you miss the smilie. Still not upset.

BTW, I said my collection wasn't impressive, or I think I tried to. I'm soap deficient compared to some of these guys, but I think I have far FAR too many. But I just won't pay big bucks for packaging. I only want what the package holds. Packaging doesn't impress me one bit. I just want the packaging to be functional; that impresses me more than anything. I can be impressed by bad packaging, but only in a negative way.

For example (really terrible packaging), I have an empty can of Klar Seifen, it looks really nice from the outside, but it was too small to be useable from day one, and now it's empty, but the packaging continues to look attractive. That's why packaging doesn't impress me. It's not what's outside, it's what's inside that counts. BTW, the KS contents were removed this morning and put into an ugly ziploc bowl because they are far more functional. For the first time since using the soap I wasn't forced to fight the attractive cup this morning. So that picture taken today would show one less package and one more bowl.

The MdC soap, while excellent, comes in a bowl without walls above the product. I know why this must be so, but while I like the soap I'm less than thrilled with the package, even though it's clearly not inexpensive packaging. I might move that into an ugly but functional bowl one of these days as well, but for now we peacefully coexist. FWIW, the packaging is clearly recognizeable as being a high end soap in pictures, but I just don't care about that. That's not what has stayed my hand. What has is that I can get along with the packaging and it's more work to move.

Anyway, not upset.

32 6,309
 08-02-2012, 10:49 AM
User Info
(08-02-2012, 10:24 AM)beartrap Wrote:

Oh you're definetely made him angry! You should never say things like this in public...
Biggrin
Just kidding! I am sure he is fine Wink
Those little zippies are the best soap containers ever. Almost all of the original tins/shmins/tubs do not make loading the brush easy.

I think he'll stop shaving now because of my unintentional criticisms towards his soaps. I may have caused more damage than I thought. Tongue

0 35
 08-02-2012, 11:10 AM
User Info
MWF, I have tried to finnish it off but I am sure the bleeding thing regenerates when I put the lid on the pot. And to make it worse the puck is now smaller than the pot so it spins around when you try to lather it.....nice pot though.......Rolleyes

3 198
 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM
User Info
With continuous use? I started a new Trumpers almond soap on New Years day 2011. I shaved once a day every day ( with the exception of 14 days while traveling) It lasted 179 shaves(july 13th 2011) and there was still a little crescent shaped bit of soap left.

0 36
 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM
  • DanOK
  • Mustang, OK
User Info
Well I have one last tube of Sweet Almond Oil Cream I have been nursing along for 7 years, or so, that's still provides a wonderful shave. I still use Old Spice and Williams soaps that I have been using for over ten years. Like others I have so much in my shave den that any one product can last for years.

0 56