07-30-2016, 04:44 AM
User Info
Just doing a Saturday morning evaluation of my den. I concluded (once again) that I have too many shaving soaps and creams. I must downsize. Now, I only downsize a wee bit at a time, so I selected one soap and decided to scrape it out and use it as shower soap. It smells nice, but I haven't used it, and have a great selection of superb ones that I use in rotation, so I thought I'd let it go.

So, I scraped it out of the jar, and reformed it into a cake of soap. But, there was a discovery. A lot of hairs. Seemed like white or cream-coloured badger hair. I didn't count them, but I would estimate at least a dozen. About ¾ inch long.

It's a U.S. artisan soap. I checked the website, and it's still around.

Again, I had not used the soap—so they weren't from my brush (if they were indeed badger hair).

Should I be concerned?

1 417
 07-30-2016, 05:44 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(07-30-2016, 04:44 AM)David Wrote: Just doing a Saturday morning evaluation of my den.  I concluded (once again) that I have too many shaving soaps and creams.  I must downsize.  Now, I only downsize a wee bit at a time, so I selected one soap and decided to scrape it out and use it as shower soap.  It smells nice, but I haven't used it, and have a great selection of superb ones that I use in rotation, so I thought I'd let it go.

So, I scraped it out of the jar, and reformed it into a cake of soap.  But, there was a discovery.  A lot of hairs.  Seemed like white or cream-coloured badger hair.  I didn't count them, but I would estimate at least a dozen.  About ¾ inch long.

It's a U.S. artisan soap.  I checked the website, and it's still around.

Again, I had not used the soap—so they weren't from my brush (if they were indeed badger hair).

Should I be concerned?

Yes -that is just downright nasty. Were you sold a used soap or is the soap maker's "lab" a rats nest?

46 18,625
 07-30-2016, 05:50 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Contact the artisan.  Is it possible it could be the shavings from a plastic tub?  Maybe the artisan poured the soap without looking into the tub?

169 1,424
 07-30-2016, 06:37 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Do you have pictures ? Or were you too disgusted to have thought of it ?

I have bought a fair bit of used soap but never had such a problem.

10 378
 07-30-2016, 06:43 AM
User Info
(07-30-2016, 06:37 AM)Devilanche Wrote: Do you have pictures ? Or were you too disgusted to have thought of it ?

I have bought a fair bit of used soap but never had such a problem.

I didn't take photos.  Since it was just one here, one there, I didn't think much about it, and just washed them down the sink.  However, I just put on my reading glasses, and carefully examined the cake of soap I reformed, and found another dozen or so.  YECH!

I put them into the jar, along with the reformed soap.  I decided I don't wish to use this soap in the shower.  Sort-of gone off of it now.

Just sent a note to the manufacturer, outlining the problem.  I imagine they'll want me to send what I have back to them for analysis. I can try to take photos, but not sure if my lens will focus close enough to make them meaningful.

Never heard of this problem before.

And, I've never heard a bad thing about the manufacturer.

The soap was brand new, and I had not used it yet.  In fact, I hadn't even opened the jar before this morning.

1 417
 07-30-2016, 06:55 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Having already used it I would just pitch it and be done.

61 4,628
 07-30-2016, 06:58 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
I never heard of hairs in soap before so hopefully isolated. Good that you informed them too. At least they can try to see if it's batch specific (if they still have same batch) or refine their soap making process.

10 378
 07-30-2016, 07:39 AM
User Info
(07-30-2016, 06:58 AM)Devilanche Wrote: I never heard of hairs in soap before so hopefully isolated. Good that you informed them too. At least they can try to see if it's batch specific (if they still have same batch) or refine their soap making process.

The batch numbers were on the back of the jar.  At least, I assume that's what they are.  It may assist them.

1 417
 07-30-2016, 08:43 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Cat or dog. I'd save some of the 'evidence' lest it get swept under the rug with the rest of Mr whiskers and Spot.

2 3,171
 07-30-2016, 08:53 AM
User Info
(07-30-2016, 05:50 AM)Steelman Wrote: Contact the artisan.  Is it possible it could be the shavings from a plastic tub?  Maybe the artisan poured the soap without looking into the tub?
+1 OR scrapings from the tub created by you as you removed the soap...maybe.

39 3,952
 07-30-2016, 12:02 PM
User Info
RESOLVED.

The manufacturer provided excellent customer service.  Got back to me today, even though it's Saturday.  

They pointed out, first of all, that the soap is not designed to be used as shower soap.  It is formulated for slickness and dense lather, rather than for cleaning.

They said they didn't know what the "hairs" were, but assured me in absolute terms that it was not rat hair.  They said most likely it's fibres of plastic from the tub manufacturing process that might have been in the tub before they poured the soap in.  They have not had any customer issues with that batch, and have never had a complaint like mine since they've been manufacturing shaving soap.

They offered to refund the price of the soap or send me a new one and I can choose whichever one I'd like.  So, I'm going with the latter, and selected one that sounds splendid.

So, all is well.  And, I'm looking forward to my new soap from this well-regarded U.S. artisan.

1 417
 07-30-2016, 01:36 PM
User Info
(07-30-2016, 12:02 PM)David Wrote: RESOLVED.

The manufacturer provided excellent customer service.  Got back to me today, even though it's Saturday.  

They pointed out, first of all, that the soap is not designed to be used as shower soap.  It is formulated for slickness and dense lather, rather than for cleaning.

They said they didn't know what the "hairs" were, but assured me in absolute terms that it was not rat hair.  They said most likely it's fibres of plastic from the tub manufacturing process that might have been in the tub before they poured the soap in.  They have not had any customer issues with that batch, and have never had a complaint like mine since they've been manufacturing shaving soap.

They offered to refund the price of the soap or send me a new one and I can choose whichever one I'd like.  So, I'm going with the latter, and selected one that sounds splendid.

So, all is well.  And, I'm looking forward to my new soap from this well-regarded U.S. artisan.

Glad to hear the manufacturer did right by you. Hope you enjoy the soap mate.

11 1,170
 07-30-2016, 02:12 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I wonder how many soapmakers are now spending the weekend double checking their plastic tubs for plastic hair? I woke up last night and swear my new, and treasured MWF ceramic tub was hovering 3' off the sink creating crop circle patterns in all my artisan soaps. Yawn

2 3,171
 07-30-2016, 02:37 PM
User Info
(07-30-2016, 02:12 PM)kav Wrote: I wonder how many soapmakers are now spending the weekend double checking their plastic tubs for plastic hair? I woke up last night and swear my new, and treasured MWF ceramic tub was hovering 3' off the sink creating crop circle patterns in all my artisan soaps. Yawn

As long as it doesn't have strands of wool in it Tongue

Ewww

11 1,170
 07-30-2016, 03:27 PM
User Info
(07-30-2016, 02:12 PM)kav Wrote: I wonder how many soapmakers are now spending the weekend double checking their plastic tubs for plastic hair? I woke up last night and swear my new, and treasured MWF ceramic tub was hovering 3' off the sink creating crop circle patterns in all my artisan soaps. Yawn

Very few wet shavers are aware of an invasive species of shaving soaps invading dens.

Remember Day of the Triffids?  Don't think it can't happen with tallow.

1 417
 07-30-2016, 03:43 PM
User Info
Always glad to hear of a manufacturer standing behind its product and providing great customer service.

50 6,428