07-30-2016, 09:24 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Am I the only one to observe our own tyranny in shaving? We have splendid new stainless steel razors and millions of Zamack, excuuuuse me 'pot metal' razors are suddenly on the verge of disintegrating like Dorian Gray. Brushes suddenly must have 'gel tips'. Can somebody post a photo and give a difinitive explanation of what a damned gel tip is? I thought it was some 18 something EMO girl with coloured hair from jello. If not gel tips it's a badger from the Valley of the Blue Moon bred by Conway since the gold reserves are petering out. Blades are an odd reverse with vintage supplies sought like legendary wines being counterfeited down to the cork stamp. We hop from soap to soap like Casanaova sleeping in a different bed every night. A Baskin-Robbins 31  flavours icecream parlour with a out of work aromatherapist as assistant manager couldn't keep up with the incessant demand for the new and novel soap.
We are enjoying a renniassance in shaving. Much of my sarcasm would seem Luddite smashing of looms or braining the guy with a copper axe with my flint from behind to preserve the mountain pass trade route concession. No, I enjoy being part of the new, with pause. We may well be creating high expectations beyond all rational. New people may decide for reason more ego than ratioonal ONLY a WOLFMAN will give me a BBS shave( another exausted and meaningless term. My face is almost 63 damned years old, It isn't EVER going to be BBS people,nor do I want it to be. I earned what it is, for better or worse) and OMG to bark with the big dawgs means $500 on EVILBAY-screw this! I'll stick to barbasol and disposables.
We are painting ourtselves, with four passes into a corner of disappointment. We can still enjoy the new. But we need to stop hyperventilating like a 16 year old trying to unclip his first bra at the drive in - except both items vanished like Zamack-dammit!

2 3,171
 07-30-2016, 11:59 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Yep, Kav, it's a first world phenomenon for which there is an answer. But would you want to do it? Merely reduce your stash to 2-3 razors and the same with brushes, soaps and after shaves. For supply continuity, be sure the contents of your stash are manufactured by evil, large corporations. Get enough others to do the same and, eventually, supply will dwindle. Without demand, there will be no supply... Or is it without supply there will be no demand! Your shaves will be just as good, or so close to it that it won't be worth arguing about. Boards, like this, will shut down and we'll all have more time to work harder in order to finance a better retirement. NAH!

About that bra strap... I, sir, successfully unclipped my first strap in 1949 at only 14 years of age, while trying to maintain the world's clumsiest kiss as diversion for my degenerate activity behind her back. Older friend, driving, engaged in the same pursuit in the front seat of his '37 Ford. Halcyon days, for sure!

0 363
 07-30-2016, 12:15 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Kav, your post has caused me to pause. If i understand correctly you extoll the virtues of moderation and rational expectations. You suggest (by my reading) that equally fine shaves are obtainable via less costly than more costly accoutrements. I do not disagree with such sentiment. Otoh in the interest of full disclosure I admit to never having owned or used a razor more expensive super deluxe than my iKon 101. All of my other razors ranged from $10-$40. Also with full disclosure, I do have a fetish with expensive brushes. I have tried to deny it, yet it persits as a personal demon I'm learning to live with and accept.
     It would be interesting to know if the phenomenon to which you refer is true of lifelong wet shavers, or if it is perhaps more common to more newly minted wet shavers. Fwiw, and that would be nothing at all, I am of the second group. Clearly, in the microcosm of wet shaving, much as in the mundane humdrum we call daily life, we lose focus. Is that bad or wrong? Perhaps neither. Perhaps it's a vestigial remnant of infancy, from when our fleeting attention is easily redirected and drawn to the next glittery bauble that excites and stimulates the deepest workings of the brain stem.
   Regardless, the pursuit of sparkly shaving baubles is an understandable and easily tolerable distraction. To each his own. A fortunate by-product of this pursuit is that each individual gets to decide his own happiness.
    Thanks for the pause.

Biggrin

7 2,357
 07-30-2016, 12:45 PM
User Info
Dear Kav,

Let boys be boys and praise their toys. Like in any focused group, there is an over-estimation of the significance of their focus relative to a bigger, world-wide, picture, but it is OK. Some boys are seniors by now but it is OK also. There is no offence in their childish joy and pride. All the best, Alex.

29 275
 07-30-2016, 01:33 PM
User Info
You know what Kav? I actually had the best shave in so far with a very humble cream. Biotique. 

Used this yesterday with the 6s and an inexpensive muhle black fiber brush. It was amazing I tell ya.

11 1,170
 07-30-2016, 02:00 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My grand uncle bought an Edsel. I still remember this two tone convertible rolling into my grandmother's driveway and watching him try to hop out with a William Holden smile
and catching his watch ( Hamilton of course) on the door mounted compass that spun both around. That car never left the driveway, it's soon to be discovered lousy transmittion
refusing to reverse. But it wasn't  mechanical flaw doomed it, as  a famous advertising blunder missed by MADMEN entered business lore.  Edsel was promoted  'the entry level to mid management'   executive's ride. NOBODY wanted to be thought of as entry or mid level anything and Cadillac, Lincoln and Imperials sales remained strong among entry and mid level execs.
There is nothing wrong with wanting 'the best' nor is there a mandatory apprenticeship with 'lesser' tools. I just feel we may be helped by a famous maxim by Baron Von Richtofen
" It's not so much the machine, as the man in the machine".

2 3,171
 07-30-2016, 10:57 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(07-30-2016, 09:17 PM)gregkw1 Wrote: Since I've discovered wet shaving I've got only one goal in this world anymore.... I want to have every soap ever made so that every shave I have till the day I die I will never have to use the same soap twice

DITTO!!!!

129 320
 07-31-2016, 02:12 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yup, if your technique is good you can't buy yourself a significantly better shave by splashing out on expensive gear. Nice gear does enhance the actual shave experience for most though. At least that is my take on shaving having lived 63 years and been a wet shaver from the start.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-31-2016, 07:21 AM
User Info
Every bit of training I have received, has stressed Mindset, Skill set, and then Tool Set....

While it can be nice to have splendid hand made items, there is no magic bullet that will overcome practice. 

Now after 7+ years of practice, a tech will yield the same results as anything else.

The secret to my happiness came what I realized I want what I have and have what I want.

18 591
 08-01-2016, 02:23 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I must confess, I've managed to shake all my ADs over time except for my over riding and financially unobtainable desire for a Rooney 1 or 3 in Finest. I'll have that desire until the day I die. But I'm fine with the rest of my tool box as it is.

7 2,359
 08-01-2016, 03:33 PM
User Info
Kav, I tend to agree.  I really like buying nice things from Artisans I can get to know personally and who put their passion and soul into things.

That said, I get some of my best shaves from the cheapest gear.  I'd be fine if I all I used was a 20 buck EJ/Muhle 89 clone, a 12 buck synthetic brush, a tub of B&M Latha (I got it for $9, it's now $11), and Astra SPs at 10 cents a piece.

11 972
 08-01-2016, 03:47 PM
User Info
(07-31-2016, 02:12 AM)BobH Wrote: Yup, if your technique is good you can't buy yourself a significantly better shave by splashing out on expensive gear. Nice gear does enhance the actual shave experience for most though. At least that is my take on shaving having lived 63 years and been a wet shaver from the start.

Bob
You said it Bob...and yet there's something magical about a collection of razors, both vintage and modern.  Biggrin

39 3,950
 08-01-2016, 03:50 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Kav, the problem people who have been shaving this way for many years is your "It's not so much the machine, as the man in the machine" has failed on this particular forum.

Its the machine here now.

James Dufour had nothing to do with it. Five or six guys talk about friendship and integrity to the point I feel nauseous. Nice razor.

The forum has gotten stale because of this.

Tomorrow Tanglewood on Parade in Lenox, MA thank God.

Forum needs a refresh gents.

42 1,041
 08-01-2016, 03:54 PM
User Info
There is really no way to figure us out.................. [Image: mu25b2F.jpg]

19 775
 08-01-2016, 04:05 PM
User Info
Excellent Post @kav  Clap
When TSN started, wet-shaving wasn't as "mainstream" as it's become. Old-timers, shavers with resumés started the Fora. Now, with the explosion of shaving, we have a generation joining the ranks that are hell-bent on having the very best. This seems to jive with today's culture in general. Don't get me wrong! It's not just the whipper-snappers that are squabbling over all the high-end gear. We baby boomers are just as culpable. As for wishing things were as before, that is a sentiment many of have had and will have someday. I like to quote my wife's deceased Nonna (grandmother): "Cose erano meglio quando si erano peggiori" Translation: Things were better when they were worse.
Biggrin

39 3,950
 08-01-2016, 05:40 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
I just like trying out new shaving goods. I put all my shaving goods into rotation, so the more the merrier!

13 626
 08-01-2016, 06:10 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I made some pocket money promptly spent on my girl this weekend. My brit mechanic David calls with a suppressed glee in his Surrey accent to help collect a car. We drive into the Canyon in a something or other ii Beemer to a not to be named celebrity's trophy house. An old friend, the Jowet Jupiter I discovered in High School and traded to the late, and missed Phil Hill who had a restoration shop in Santa Monica sits in the driveway. We are informed the steering isn't right and it won't push past 80 MPH. Dave says ( And catches me mouthing his expected phrase) RIGHT! Lets sort this out with a test drive. I get a disparaging look as I pull on my old driving gloves ' isn't that a little to much an affectation'? from Mr famous. NO, as I hit the starter button and it backfires. ' Oh, yes, well I flooded it before you came. I forgot about that starter button'. I stick my elbows OUT and he rolls his eyes. 'Uh David, does 'your man' know what he's doing'? David dryly explains  'HIS' car's history. I roll onto the canyon between swarms of motorcycles assembling at the Rock Store. It still steers like my even older Icebreaker and I'm muscling it around curves and downshifting. David's behind as a brand new Maserati, latest incarnation of the yuppie's prefered dream ride blows past David, almost hits an oncoming bike and approaches me on the top of the S. NO YOU BLOODY WELL WON'T @&*$!!! and I shift, hard brake and pop out the rear end and drift sideways blocking a shocked Maserati. He finally passes me on the straight with a testosterone restoring finger.  We pull over. 'Well. it's still a beast to steer but 80 IS the top speed of these on a good day'. David charges him $150 and we part in opposite directions. I get half for having fun. David peers over his bifocals ' arent' you a bit old to be doing your Graham Hill stunts'?  I have a reply half formed as we approach a Maserati. I tighten my  5 point racing belt as David cuts off the Maserati crawling at a safe and sane 30 MPH around the last major curve.
Old,new, expensive or not: it can all be so much FUN.

2 3,171
 08-01-2016, 06:11 PM
User Info
Kav:  my face is getting old too and my bra hook skills are waning.  Please don't take the joy my fancy brushes, soaps, and creams proffer me.  Hehehe.  (But I'm not kidding about my bra hook skills)

3 171
 08-01-2016, 06:51 PM
User Info
While I don't understand the endless drive to acquire, I support the pursuit of a few excellent performers in each category.

29 1,207
 08-02-2016, 01:24 AM
User Info
It's always a good reminder to appreciate the simple things about the shaving experience, rather than getting caught up in the drive to acquire the latest and greatest.

That said, reading about the latest and greatest is fun! (as is looking at the pictures.) It's hard to remain interested in reading the same old posts on the basics. If the forum just contained posts on whether or not pre-shave products work or how to lather MWF, I'd probably move on to something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 287