07-31-2016, 03:12 AM
User Info
Hello gentlemen. I've had this croap for a couple of months now and didn't get around to using it until today. The croap provides plenty of glide (very slick) and protection - not a single nick. Cushion is okay only, as I could certainly feel the razor (but that could have been due to the fact that the blade was on the third usage and not new). I'll have to do another shave with a new blade. Postshave was good and face was moisturised and I didn't bother with an aftershave balm. Lastly, this is not a winter cream but definitely a summer cream. I've used Proraso green cream before and SMN froze my face more so than Proraso. So far, this is the best shaving cream that I have used; ADP would be second and XPEC third. St James of London, Dr Harris, TOBS, CF Lavender, Alvarez Gomez, L'Occitane Cade, AOS, T&H No 10 and Arran Aromatics are other creams that I have and use on a regular basis.

0 130
 07-31-2016, 03:48 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(07-31-2016, 03:12 AM)Rhinehoth Wrote: Hello gentlemen. I've had this croap for a couple of months now and didn't get around to using it until today. The croap provides plenty of glide (very slick) and protection - not a single nick. Cushion is okay only, as I could certainly feel the razor (but that could have been due to the fact that the blade was on the third usage and not new). I'll have to do another shave with a new blade. Postshave was good and face was moisturised and I didn't bother with an aftershave balm. Lastly, this is not a winter cream but definitely a summer cream. I've used Proraso green cream before and SMN froze my face more so than Proraso. So far, this is the best shaving cream that I have used; ADP would be second and XPEC third. St James of London, Dr Harris, TOBS, CF Lavender, Alvarez Gomez, L'Occitane Cade, AOS, T&H No 10 and Arran Aromatics are other creams that I have and use on a regular basis.

agree

168 1,386
 07-31-2016, 04:44 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I agree with both you gents--SMN is the best cream in my den, however AdP is right up there as well.  I feel the performance of both is VERY similar  Biggrin

34 1,628
 07-31-2016, 04:46 AM
User Info
Differences between version 2 and 3? Still the tabacco tuscano fragrance? Having owned the original version and version 2, I wondered any major changes. Version 2 was quite a leap from the original and stands in its own right as what many consider a superb replacement. I believe I went through at least 2 jars of the original SMN Crema da Barba and found a 90% plus one on the selling forum fortunately. If the version 3 still has that dominant linger of the tabacco toscano I would have to leave that to others as what initially intrigues leads me to thinking it has a bit too much of the perfume for my taste. Very few soaps and creams have escaped reformulation it seems.

19 775
 07-31-2016, 06:07 AM
User Info
(07-31-2016, 04:46 AM)minimalist Wrote: Differences between version 2 and 3? Still the tabacco tuscano fragrance? Having owned the original version and version 2, I wondered any major changes. Version 2 was quite a leap from the original and stands in its own right as what many consider a superb replacement. I believe I went through at least 2 jars of the original SMN Crema da Barba and found a 90% plus one on the selling forum fortunately. If the version 3 still has that dominant linger of the tabacco toscano I would have to leave that to others as what initially intrigues leads me to thinking it has a bit too much of the perfume for my taste. Very few soaps and creams have escaped reformulation it seems.
I have never used version 2 so I cannot comment on that cream. If you have ever used AOS eucalyptus shaving cream then that is what Version 3 smells like, except SMN's scent is much more subdued, muted or subtle (take your pick). To my unsophisticated nose, and especially the AOS cream, they both smell like Vicks vapour rub. I can definitely smell the eucalyptus and menthol but it is not overpowering a scent.

0 130
 07-31-2016, 06:27 AM
User Info
(07-31-2016, 06:07 AM)Rhinehoth Wrote:
(07-31-2016, 04:46 AM)minimalist Wrote: Differences between version 2 and 3? Still the tabacco tuscano fragrance? Having owned the original version and version 2, I wondered any major changes. Version 2 was quite a leap from the original and stands in its own right as what many consider a superb replacement. I believe I went through at least 2 jars of the original SMN Crema da Barba and found a 90% plus one on the selling forum fortunately. If the version 3 still has that dominant linger of the tabacco toscano I would have to leave that to others as what initially intrigues leads me to thinking it has a bit too much of the perfume for my taste. Very few soaps and creams have escaped reformulation it seems.
I have never used version 2 so I cannot comment on that cream. If you have ever used AOS eucalyptus shaving cream then that is what Version 3 smells like, except SMN's scent is much more subdued, muted or subtle (take your pick). To my unsophisticated nose, and especially the AOS cream, they both smell like Vicks vapour rub. I can definitely smell the eucalyptus and menthol but it is not overpowering a scent.

So no sweet cologne scent at all? What you are describing is close to the original then.

19 775
 07-31-2016, 07:02 AM
User Info
(07-31-2016, 06:27 AM)minimalist Wrote:
(07-31-2016, 06:07 AM)Rhinehoth Wrote:

So no sweet cologne scent at all? What you are describing is close to the original then.
If the original SMN V2 scent is NOT very strong and you can also detect the Eucalyptus/Menthol in the original then yes, you are correct. Some members of this site have mentioned that V3 scent is more muted than V2. If that is the case then you can liken SMN to ADP. I have both the old and new version of ADP and the new version is almost unscented when compared to the older formulation.

0 130
 07-31-2016, 07:40 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I find V3 a joy to use, whereas V2 was a nightmare for me to lather. I agree that V3 is right up there with AdP.

38 5,112
 07-31-2016, 07:43 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
SMN V3 (to me) smells very much like the Tobacco Toscano cologne.  The eucalyptus is muted, and in no way smells like proraso.

V2 had some issues with performance + consistency and wasn't on the shelves very long.....they changed/added some ingredients and released the current V3.  If the jar contains "globulus leaf oil" then you know you have V3.

168 1,386
 07-31-2016, 07:47 AM
User Info
I wholeheartedly agree!! #1 in my den, but I also use it in the winter... a great WAKE UP cream!!
I guess it's the price, but I don't understand why this cream isn't talked about more??? SMN & ADP are at the top, even including soaps, for me that is.. 
I used to buy all the artisan soaps but this has put a stop to that..what can top it??

16 215
 07-31-2016, 08:48 AM
User Info
Agree 100% on V3.  Best I've used.  Nothing can top it.  The only artisan I've tried that comes close in residual slickness is Savonnerie de Bon Berger/Volcans (Menthe Stick).  

The only problem I have with SMN is that it's so good, it encourages me to do too many passes...

11 973
 07-31-2016, 10:00 AM
User Info
(07-31-2016, 08:48 AM)surfshaver Wrote: Agree 100% on V3.  Best I've used.  Nothing can top it.  The only artisan I've tried that comes close in residual slickness is Savonnerie de Bon Berger/Volcans (Menthe Stick).  

The only problem I have with SMN is that it's so good, it encourages me to do too many passes...

Not really a problem since SMN is so slick, residual slickness I mean.   Biggrin

0 130
 07-31-2016, 10:10 AM
User Info
(07-31-2016, 07:47 AM)scottb7862 Wrote: I wholeheartedly agree!! #1 in my den, but I also use it in the winter... a great WAKE UP cream!!
I guess it's the price, but I don't understand why this cream isn't talked about more??? SMN & ADP are at the top, even including soaps, for me that is.. 
I used to buy all the artisan soaps but this has put a stop to that..what can top it??
like you said, the price. Furtermore, some people compare it to Proraso favourably. I've used both and there is no comparison; SMN is a top tier cream and Proraso is average at best. It would be nice to drive a Mercedes car at Volkswagen prices but alas ....

0 130
 07-31-2016, 11:07 AM
User Info
Performance wise both during and post Shave I would have to agree that I have not used a better soap or cream than SMN V.3

3 920
 07-31-2016, 01:25 PM
User Info
(07-31-2016, 07:47 AM)scottb7862 Wrote: I wholeheartedly agree!! #1 in my den, but I also use it in the winter... a great WAKE UP cream!!

Agree! It does WAKE you up! Love the scent and performance is unmatched. Only soap I can think of that's as good performance wise is Nuavia.
One little trick I discovered that calms the strong mint down a bit is to leave the tub open for a few hours or overnight before the shave. The mint/eucalyptus calms down significantly and the tobacco comes out!

Regardless top notch soap, slickness is outstanding and protection is superb. Post shave is also wonderful 10/10 for me!

13 775
 07-31-2016, 03:15 PM
User Info
(07-31-2016, 01:25 PM)snowman Wrote:

Agree! It does WAKE you up! Love the scent and performance is unmatched. Only soap I can think of that's as good performance wise is Nuavia.
One little trick I discovered that calms the strong mint down a bit is to leave the tub open for a few hours or overnight before the shave. The mint/eucalyptus calms down significantly and the tobacco comes out!

Regardless top notch soap, slickness is outstanding and protection is superb. Post shave is also wonderful 10/10 for me!
Thank you for the tip and I will certainly try that for my next shave. Summers get quite hot down under so I am really looking forward to using it on a regular basis then.

0 130
 08-01-2016, 10:24 AM
User Info
You are welcome. Enjoy it and keep us posted

13 775
 08-01-2016, 10:40 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I used the "snowman method" this morning.  Very nice shave!!!  Cool
Eric

48 976
 08-01-2016, 01:39 PM
User Info
How strong is the menthol kick?

Thanks

Tam

0 7
 08-01-2016, 10:57 PM
User Info
It says the life expectancy on this is 12 months. Has anyone experienced using it past the expiration date? Only asking because the one I purchased from a fellow member here is very subtle on the eucalyptus. Still an amazing and complex fragrance though. Seems like it gets a little stronger with notes of vanilla as you whip it up. Post shave is what makes it! Definately in my top 3.

22 207