08-01-2016, 07:43 AM
User Info
Sorry if this has been discussed many times, but I seem to have a reoccurring problem around my chin area with ingrown hairs developing a few days after I shave. They are painful blemishes. I believe it might be caused by a dull blade (which I change 2-3) shaves. I don't have heavy growth and don't get it anywhere other than my chin. Any suggestions. Thanks. [Image: d84cfd63e0213113fce8e13c75a676e9.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 7
 08-01-2016, 09:11 AM
User Info
I get recurring ingrowns on the right side of my neck. Here's what's helped me (YMMV, of course).

I mapped my beard, and have actually stopped doing an ATG pass in my problem area. I do another XTG in the opposite direction of my earlier XTG pass. I also have to take it slow and really focus on my angle.

I've gravitated to sharp blades (e.g., Feathers) in a mild razor (e.g., Tech).

Lastly, I prefer an alcohol-based splash, as it can prevent infections, which can look like ingrown hairs. An alternative could be to use an alum block. I've not used one but it can also prevent infections, or so I am told.

0 1,071
 08-01-2016, 09:59 AM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 09:11 AM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: I get recurring ingrowns on the right side of my neck. Here's what's helped me (YMMV, of course).

I mapped my beard, and have actually stopped doing an ATG pass in my problem area. I do another XTG in the opposite direction of my earlier XTG pass. I also have to take it slow and really focus on my angle.

Lastly, I prefer an alcohol-based splash, as it can prevent infections, which can look like ingrown hairs. An alternative could be to use an alum block. I've not used one but it can also prevent infections, or so I am told.

Thank you so much. I do an ATG pass only to get a closer shave. Do not always use alcohol based aftershaves and sometimes I use alum block (however it is great for nicks it leaves your skin sticky after you rinse it off) I will work on XTG pass as well as map out direction of growth. Thanks again.

0 7
 08-01-2016, 10:40 AM
User Info
Since an ingrown hair is a hair that is cut below the surface of the skin and it curls around getting trapped under the skin there really is only one solution. Alcohol AS can help prevent infection for a short time, but that hair growing under the skin will eventually get infected. After a time, a week or so, it can be plucked out to the surface and the entire length of the hair is seen.

The only way to prevent them is to do as Shannons husband does and not shave so close. Many folks find that just switching to a single edge or double edge razor eliminates them. I threw that in there because you didn't say how you shave. Cartridge razors are especially noted for producing ingrowns in lots of gents.

A balm type of finish to the shave can help in some cases as it helps to lubricate the hair to allow it to find it's way out of the skin.

32 6,459
 08-01-2016, 10:46 AM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 10:40 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Since an ingrown hair is a hair that is cut below the surface of the skin and it curls around getting trapped under the skin there really is only one solution. Alcohol AS can help prevent infection for a short time, but that hair growing under the skin will eventually get infected. After a time, a week or so, it can be plucked out to the surface and the entire length of the hair is seen.

The only way to prevent them is to do as Shannons husband does and not shave so close. Many folks find that just switching to a single edge or double edge razor eliminates them. I threw that in there because you didn't say how you shave. Cartridge razors are especially noted for producing ingrowns in lots of gents.

A balm type of finish to the shave can help in some cases as it helps to lubricate the hair to allow it to find it's way out of the skin.

Thank you for the reply. I have been using a DE exclusively for about 6 months now. Change my blades every 3-4 shaves. I have been using a verity of different blades but none of the "very sharp" blades. I will try not to shave so close and see. Since it is the summer I also don't shave as often either. Thanks again.

0 7
 08-01-2016, 01:39 PM
User Info
I used to get quite a few ingrown hairs before wet shaving. Very rare now.  

I'd certainly agree that a blade that is not sharp enough would contribute to ingrowns  because too much pulling.  

Also ultra close shave could create problems as well. 

Less than spectacular lather won't help either. 

I'd be hard pressed to believe that once you got the right setup and lathering technique that most in growns wouldnt go away.  

I'd be cautious of super sharp blades like feathers or polsilvers. I'd try GSBs, or even better, white box platinum Gillettes.

20 162
 08-01-2016, 03:32 PM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 01:39 PM)Smoothie Wrote: I used to get quite a few ingrown hairs before wet shaving. Very rare now.  

I'd certainly agree that a blade that is not sharp enough would contribute to ingrowns  because too much pulling.  

I'd be hard pressed to believe that once you got the right setup and lathering technique that most in growns wouldnt go away.  

I'd be cautious of super sharp blades like feathers or polsilvers. I'd try GSBs, or even better, white box platinum Gillettes.

Thanks for the info and support.

0 7
 08-01-2016, 04:36 PM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 09:11 AM)Shannon Wrote: I get recurring ingrowns on the right side of my neck. Here's what's helped me (YMMV, of course).

Signs011

28 1,087
 08-03-2016, 06:39 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have trouble with ingrown hairs as well.  I used to get them a lot more.  It is rare that I get them now.  One of the things that really helped me was cold water shaving.  I also only shave with the grain.  AfterI shave, I apply alum and rinse it rather than let it sit it doesn't dry out my skin.  After I rinse the alum, I apply Bump Patrol.

3 561
 08-03-2016, 07:10 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
When I stretch my neck skin too taut I am more prone to developing in-grown hairs. Granted it's a different location than where you're having difficulty, but it may be something to consider. Also fwiw, try less pressure. May work Smile

7 2,148
 08-03-2016, 07:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Oh yeah, and try to limit your passes to two.

7 2,148
 08-05-2016, 10:06 AM
User Info
I used to suffer ingrown hair around my neck in my teens with carts. I moved on to using straights and had no ingrown hair for years. After my daughter was born, I stopped using straight razors due to safety concerns and moved to DE's...haven't seen an ingrown yet. I did get one a few years ago and attributed it to over-stretching around the neck region, since then I rely more on moving my head around to flatten skin. I have copper wire like beard, sensitive skin and prefer sharp blades (Feathers, KAI, SI). I do a 3pass shave every day, even on weekends.

0 650
 08-05-2016, 10:16 AM
  • Urolex
  • Phoenix, AZ
User Info
Use either Tend Skin or PFB vanish.  Apply before bedtime

50 421
 08-05-2016, 10:25 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Look for products that contain tea tree oil. This miraculous ingredient prevents such skin conditions. There are some after shave tonics like Shea Moisture Shave Tea Tree After Shave. I have it and it does an excellent job. But I'm sure there are plenty of products that contain it. It is highly recommended to those that have acne problem as well.

Also, change the blade after every shave for a while.

Another explanation would be that you have a skin reaction to a specific ingredient of the products you use. My brother has a similar skin reaction to products that contain almond oil.

49 1,999
 08-12-2016, 03:13 PM
User Info
FWIW, I had issues with ingrowns too. What helped the most was improving technique. Wrong angle and too much pressure were the main cause. Just something to keep in mind

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

0 10
 08-12-2016, 06:10 PM
User Info
I try to prep my face better.

Spend more time massaging the pre shave cream into my stubbles.
Face lathering works better for me, than bowl lathering, because I feel I massage my stubbles better and lift them a bit up from the skin. This is why I prefer badgers over synthetic still, the bagders with backbone and soft tips seems to be able to get the stubbles more lifted from the skin, than when I use a synthetic, that either is pointy or splayed open. I don't get the same quality facial hair massage with a synthetic as a prime badger brush gives me.

I focus on the chin and lip area, when I face lather, and it seems to help avoid the ingrown hair developing (and I am back to using a Fusion for first pass and  Mach 3 for second pass after 5-6 years using DE's and SE's, so this should tell you something)

24 5,969
 08-13-2016, 09:09 AM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 01:39 PM)Smoothie Wrote: I used to get quite a few ingrown hairs before wet shaving. Very rare now.  

+1!
I had them notoriously on my neck until I switched to DE's. Another thing I've found that helps me is to take a hot, wet cloth and kind of scrub your face before you shave, more so going ATG. I find that it helps expose the whiskers better plus removes dry, dead skin. Seems to give me a better shave with no irritation.

147 3,539
 08-13-2016, 07:43 PM
User Info
Exfoliate before shaving. Give your face a good but gentle scrubbing to lift the hairs.

14 10
 08-22-2016, 12:05 AM
User Info
I had issues with what I thought were ingrown hairs but it turned out to be more like acute folliculitis, in my untrained opinion anyhow. I stopped using balms and started using AS splash with alcohol, I also started using a benzoyl peroxide cream applied to my trouble areas after my AS splash dried. That cleared it completely.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

0 14
 08-28-2016, 07:25 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
I used to have this really bad on my neck, it was so bad that after a shave I couldn't shave for almost a week, I went years just using a electric trimmer over shaving cause I didn't want to deal with the burns and bumps. Then I found out about de... the start was rough, using too much pressure going against the grain and soaps and blades that didn't work for me, I then found the right blades and a good soap and the right technique and things improved huge.

I've found better shaving soaps made huge difference, showering before shaving is key, I then use coconut oil then use the water from bloom this adds extra protection, shave with the grain then across, map the hairs on your face/neck is important, for awhile I was shaving against the grain in areas I thought I was shaving with the grain.  I do find a good after shave helps, I've just added unrefined Shea butter and so far that's helped a ton. I've gotten it down to a point where I can shave very comfortably every day now and this also has helped with ingrown hairs, I no longer get ingrown hairs/razor bumps, or razor burns. Keep at it and you'll find your solution.

2 461