08-01-2016, 09:37 AM
User Info
Ok, story time:

You know how some of us are gluttons for punishment....well, yesterday I went shopping to pick up some Williams to give it another shot since I have more experience under my belt with hard soaps. While out, I stopped by the Dollar Tree to pick up some Yardley and Brut bath soap.

So, I get everything home, and I soak the Williams and have to work it 3x as much as any other soap, but I can now successfully get usable lather from modern Williams. That's good to know in case I'm in a fix. I let the puck sit in hot water for 10 minutes and then loaded my Omega boar for a good full minute straight...and I do mean vigorously. I found I have to bowl lather for at least 2 minutes after that. No face lathering with Williams. It finally worked.

Well, the Brut bar soap I also picked up at the Dollar Tree was right there, so I decided to see if it would lather. I bought it because it is a tallow soap. Guess what? It does. With less than half the effort and time I put into lathering the Williams I had gobs of thick creamy SLICK shave lather that did not dissipate. I couldn't believe it. I actually shaved with it.

Moral of this long winded story is: William works if you want it to bad enough, but Brut bar soap works even better and it's 50 cents per bar. Some of the curious or adventurous of you give the Brut bar soap a shot. Either my lathering skills have gotten way good, or I've found a bar soap that's accidentally a better shave soap than intended.

1 283
 08-01-2016, 10:13 AM
User Info
I think your lathering skills have improved. By the way, how was the shave with the Brut hand-soap? Shy

82 21,056
 08-01-2016, 10:34 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Short of being kidnapped by Gypsys, on the run for mutiny and sedition against a future administration or the anticipated 'big one' in California I avoiding being 'in a fix' by a respectable assembly of proper shaving soaps. I met a hobo shaving with a straight and that pink, Jergens lotion smelling bathroom soap found in gas stations. I tracked him down later in the day with a gift of Dinty Moore Stew, coffee and two pucks of MWF. It was the MWf that brought a smile.

2 3,171
 08-01-2016, 02:06 PM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 10:13 AM)celestino Wrote: I think your lathering skills have improved. By the way, how was the shave with the Brut hand-soap? Shy

I don't have a camera, or I'd show you. Must be seen to be believed. Granted, I put more time loading and working the soap than say Arko, but far less time then any hard soap from GFT. Miles ahead of Williams.

The result was shocking. Thick, rich, creamy lather. Good cushion and protection and super slick. After a good brush load and a couple of minute of bowl work left me with gobs of thick creamy lather. I was so shocked by it I had to tell you guys.

1 283
 08-01-2016, 05:53 PM
User Info
Is the scent of the Brut bath soap the same as the Brut splash on lotion?

48 5,717
 08-01-2016, 05:59 PM
User Info
You know what? I actually heard Cetapyl bars can be used in this way as well.

Williams is fairly easy to lather in my case, just squeeze the water from your brush into the mug with the soap and make start to make lather. Throw away proto lather if it's too thin and then swirl away again. I also do this with MWF.

10 1,129
 08-01-2016, 07:37 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Strictly out of curiosity, do you happen to have a shot of the ingredients (I couldn't find them online)? I know you said it was tallow-based, which would at least partially explain its ability to lather, but I'm wondering if there's some other ingredients in there that are allowing for a greater lathering ability than what you'd normally expect from a bar soap.

10 231
 08-01-2016, 08:57 PM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 02:06 PM)regularfella Wrote: I don't have a camera, or I'd show you. Must be seen to be believed. Granted, I put more time loading and working the soap than say Arko, but far less time then any hard soap from GFT. Miles ahead of Williams.

The result was shocking. Thick, rich, creamy lather. Good cushion and protection and super slick. After a good brush load and a couple of minute of bowl work left me with gobs of thick creamy lather. I was so shocked by it I had to tell you guys.

Great to hear, Lance! No need for a photo if you are enjoying the soap, but a photo is always welcome. Shy

82 21,056
 08-02-2016, 04:15 PM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 07:37 PM)Viking Wrote: Strictly out of curiosity, do you happen to have a shot of the ingredients (I couldn't find them online)? I know you said it was tallow-based, which would at least partially explain its ability to lather, but I'm wondering if there's some other ingredients in there that are allowing for a greater lathering ability than what you'd normally expect from a bar soap.

sodium cocoate,sodium palm kernalate,sodium palmate.sodium tallowate),water,glycerin,peg-8,hydrogenated tallow acid,tallow acid,palm kernal acid,coconut acid,fragrance,sodium chloride,tetrasodium etidronate,petasodium pentenate,green 3

1 283
 08-02-2016, 04:19 PM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 05:53 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Is the scent of the Brut bath soap the same as the Brut splash on lotion?

No, it's not the same, although it's very good. I think it's because the soap I got at the Dollar Tree is actually Brut ...revolution.

1 283
 08-02-2016, 06:23 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(08-02-2016, 04:15 PM)regularfella Wrote:
(08-01-2016, 07:37 PM)Viking Wrote: Strictly out of curiosity, do you happen to have a shot of the ingredients (I couldn't find them online)? I know you said it was tallow-based, which would at least partially explain its ability to lather, but I'm wondering if there's some other ingredients in there that are allowing for a greater lathering ability than what you'd normally expect from a bar soap.

sodium cocoate,sodium palm kernalate,sodium palmate.sodium tallowate),water,glycerin,peg-8,hydrogenated tallow acid,tallow acid,palm kernal acid,coconut acid,fragrance,sodium chloride,tetrasodium etidronate,petasodium pentenate,green 3

looks fairly clean other than a few chelating agents, although I'm unsure of what the PEG-8 is, that usually has something following it (like PEG-8 Laurate) to explain which ester of polyethylene glycol it is... it's a surfactant (synthetic soap) of some kind that may help boost the lather, but there are plenty of good lathering ingredients in there regardless - glad to hear you got stellar lather from it!

10 231
 09-25-2016, 07:26 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
The only bath soap I ever had good lathering results with is Dove. Many times in the past I shaved with it if I was on the road and if I forgot to bring a real shaving soap or cream with me. My brush always worked the Dove up into good lather.

3 2,626
 09-25-2016, 07:43 AM
User Info
I remember when I start shaving I just got a Tabac soap, no matter how hard I lather I can't seems to later... Fast forward, when I got a real Tabac puck... facepalmed.

0 176
 09-25-2016, 07:58 AM
User Info
I haven't tried to actually lather this, but L'OCCITANE makes a milk soap that I frequently use just before I shave. The milk seems to have some slickness to it. In a pinch I would try using that.

1 309
 09-25-2016, 04:47 PM
User Info
Whenever I ran out of canned goo in the past I would just shave with bar soap. Sufficient to get the job done with no issues. Of course i have enough shave soaps now to last about 15 years!

14 97
 09-25-2016, 08:59 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Although “many” may mean dferent things to different people, one is inclined to state that many’s the time that he has used Neutrogena Classic bar soap as a shaving soap, using a wet Vulfix Super Badger brush to generate the “lather” applied to the beard.   While admitting that Neutrogena would be a total failure in the view of those misinformed individuals who hold the pagan belief that there is a correlation between stiff yogurt-like lather that can be sculptured for SOTD photos and actual slick and protective shave prep, in fact, Neutrogena makes a perfectly acceptable functionally good shave lather.  It will not, however, produce a sculpture-ready lather for SOTD photography.

0 1,049
 09-30-2016, 04:33 PM
User Info
hugo's naturals shea soaps make very nice shaving soaps, the scents are great;  you can lather them easily or melt them down and add unscented shaving cream to it for an even better lather.

1 33