08-01-2016, 01:05 PM
User Info
Saw this at Walmart today and on the package it clearly says equal to Fusion razor. Besides selling the razor they also carry replacement cartridge blades in different amounts. The price is about 1/2 that of the Gillette Fusion. Along side the Equate brand is Gillette Fusion razors and cartridges. If Gillette had a patent I guess it ran out.

[Image: zbi11FT.jpg]

108 12,667
 08-01-2016, 02:09 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
When I toss out  my wetshaving  kit and persona l ethics I'll be sure to buy several.

2 3,171
 08-02-2016, 01:50 AM
User Info
Somehow I think you'll toss out your kit a long time before you get rid of your personal ethics Kav... and pigs are likely to be airborne before you ditch your kit Tongue

On topic, AFAIK you can only keep a patent for 20 years (if it's a "utility patent") or 14 years (if it's a "design patent"). The Fusion was released in 2006, which means that either the patents for it predates it by several years, or "equal to" does not imply "interchangeable with". One way to check the later is to pick one up and see if the carts from the Equate works in the Fusion and vise versa.

3 3,863
 08-02-2016, 04:13 AM
User Info
(08-02-2016, 01:50 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Somehow I think you'll toss out your kit a long time before you get rid of your personal ethics Kav... and pigs are likely to be airborne before you ditch your kit Tongue

On topic, AFAIK you can only keep a patent for 20 years (if it's a "utility patent") or 14 years (if it's a "design patent"). The Fusion was released in 2006, which means that either the patents for it predates it by several years, or "equal to" does not imply "interchangeable with". One way to check the later is to pick one up and see if the carts from the Equate works in the Fusion and vise versa.

Good points Hans. It is the blades that have a special coating that has a patent not the handle itself. Walmart probably left the coating out and used something else. Interesting if the Equate cartridge fits the Fusion handle.  Equate says "similar to Fusion" but not exactly.

108 12,667
 08-02-2016, 08:53 AM
User Info
According to the Walmart website (I need to clean my cache now), the answer is "no".
So I guess is similar in the number of blades, but little else.

Sent fra min SM-T710 via Tapatalk

3 3,863
 08-03-2016, 10:30 AM
User Info
In your original post slantman, you included an image. In the picture, the copy reads:

Compare to Fusion[Image: Registered.svg]

I admit it would be easy to infer from this a high degree of similarity in the two different shaving devices. I think they really mean to imply that their offering will win in comparison. If you are considering price alone, they are likely correct. I mean no disrespect to the Equate brand, not having tried these razors. For all I know, they could be superior to the Gillette. I strongly suspect that Malwart shelved them next to each other deliberately.

~~ evil giggle ~~

5 395
 08-04-2016, 08:10 AM
User Info
(08-03-2016, 10:30 AM)opsimath Wrote: In your original post slantman, you included an image. In the picture, the copy reads:

I admit it would be easy to infer from this a high degree of similarity in the two different shaving devices. I think they really mean to imply that their offering will win in comparison. If you are considering price alone, they are likely correct. I mean no disrespect to the Equate brand, not having tried these razors. For all I know, they could be superior to the Gillette. I strongly suspect that Malwart shelved them next to each other deliberately.

~~ evil giggle ~~

All shaving products are side by side including the Equate brand next to the Gillette Fusion. All retail companies do this.

108 12,667
 08-21-2016, 01:12 PM
User Info
(08-03-2016, 10:30 AM)opsimath Wrote: In your original post slantman, you included an image. In the picture, the copy reads:

~~ evil giggle ~~

And contributing to the implication is the fact that with Equate medications, they have the same active ingredient which does make them comparable. But I suspect in this case the only thing in similar is the # of blades, not sharpness, smoothness, etc. But let's face it - most guys are just shopping by brand or blade count anyway. They don't set up blade comparisons like we do!

I will pass, as just today I added 100 Personna Platinum Chromes (Israel Reds) to a Connaught order for £8, or about $10.50. I love these blades and a dime a piece is awesome.

4 564
 08-21-2016, 01:17 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
NO, I trust niether the product or the retailer

2 3,171
 08-21-2016, 02:45 PM
User Info
Back in my Gillette Sensor days, there were (and probably still are) store-brand cartridges that actually would fit on the Gillette Sensor handles. Unlike the Sensor blades, these didn't have blade "suspension" parts.  The blades supposedly flexed instead.  I'd imagine they had similar "compare to" language on them.  If I recall correctly, they were made by Personna. I tried them, but didn't really care for them.  I think nowadays, a lot of the private-label shaving stuff is made by Dorco.  I'd imagine what we have here is a Dorco-made cartridge razor that comes as close to a Fusion as it can without infringing on any patents.

Given my experience with Dorco DE blades, I'd imagine it shaves OK (not great). For half the price, maybe people don't care.

0 995