08-02-2016, 07:43 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Presently and historically, we always seem to evaluate the performance a soap or cream on:
1. Slickness
2. Cushion
3. Post-shave feel
4. Latherability (sometimes implying "ease of proto-lathering off the soap", other times implying "ease of achieving soap's/cream's optimal lather"...those are two very different meanings.)
Maybe there is one or two other things I am forgetting in the list above.

But what we don't see often (and I really don't understand because it is very much the END RESULT that OTHER people NOTICE):

* COMPLEXION - how your skin LOOKS after shaving. If it is red or has raised bumps or blotchy skin (has differing tints of color (inconsistent color as result of the soap/shave)) then IMO the shave was terrible no matter how good the soap/cream performed in all other criteria. So, why do we never talk about COMPLEXION.

I bring it up every few months hoping it will catch on because I can't think of anything more important, since so few products actually give me a good (better) complexion. Now, maybe I do just have sensitive skin, is that it?

Or- Have you not found soaps that give you good complexion (I honestly wouldn't be surprised, there are so few for me...this is kinda where I'm going with this convo btw, but later) and is that why we don't talk about it? And this is why we keep buying a million products?

Or, does your skin not get reddened, blotchy, bumpy from anything...and that's why it's not even a concern?? Your skin couldn't care which soap you use bc your skin just doesn't get bothered by anything?

62 3,008
 08-02-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
Not really sure what you're getting at. When I have a red, irritated face after shaving it's due to too much blade (poor cushion or poor technique) or an irritant in the soap like almond oil.

This "complexion" category then seems to be a combo of cushion and irritants. I can't recall a soap I felt was cushioning but uncomfortable, and struggle to even imagine how such a thing might feel.

16 1,027
 08-02-2016, 07:57 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
What I'm saying is that there are a handful of products that make my skin look clear and healthy.
Most do not.

62 3,008
 08-02-2016, 08:15 AM
User Info
Matt, I haven't encountered many soaps that would cause the results that you are describing during, or post-shave. With the majority of the soaps I have tried, I have been able to get a decent to excellent shave without any significant issues except for mild irritation on my neck, at times with some of them.
I do know that my main soap provides great post-shave/skin care, but I think the unrefined shea butter that I use every day contributes more significantly to my healthy-looking skin. Shy

It could be that your skin is more sensitive  than most, possibly.

83 21,111
 08-02-2016, 09:23 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks Celestino, I agree, I have no doubt my skin is, at least in part, one of the culprits.
I do think there is a bit more though. Because - Why would I only be able to use a few products with NO complexion issues whatsoever... What is different about them?

62 3,008
 08-02-2016, 09:29 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-02-2016, 07:50 AM)crazindndude Wrote: I can't recall a soap I felt was cushioning but uncomfortable, and struggle to even imagine how such a thing might feel.

Yeah I'm going to delete that portion bc I haven't explained it well. I know what I mean, I just can't quite put it into clear words.

62 3,008
 08-02-2016, 10:11 AM
User Info
Matt, maybe you could tell us which products you've tried that make your complexion improve.  I'd be interested in seeing the list, even though "YMMV" always applies.

2 1,552
 08-02-2016, 10:54 AM
User Info
The two, which I have mentioned before that have noticeable impact (immediately after the shave) on my skin's complexion are LPL Traditional and Dolomiti by SV. If acne is present before the shave, I can usually expect it to settle and calm down after a couple of passes using these two soaps. Not sure if Dolomiti uses fragrance oils by I think that the essential oils in the LPL soap are going to work the second they touch my skin. Smile

Great topic and point. I used to think that performance had nothing to do with the added scent (fragrance) but I have grown to think otherwise.

81 1,368
 08-02-2016, 11:36 AM
User Info
(08-02-2016, 09:23 AM)Ner0 Wrote: I do think there is a bit more though. Because - Why would I only be able to use a few products with NO complexion issues whatsoever... What is different about them?

I understand your curiosity and observations.
Do you use any post-shave products that might contribute to the enhanced complexion that you mention, or do you use just the soap(s)?

83 21,111
 08-02-2016, 11:46 AM
User Info
Matt--

I've actually had your experience on many occasions; the last being just this morning. During and immediately after a shave all feels fine or even quite good, but a few minutes to hours later I can end up with dry skin, which may end up itchy and peeling later in the day, or with raised blotchy red areas. The raised red areas I would get immediately after the shave. Many soaps and creams have given me this "complexion" even when they are touted as giving great "post-shave feel" or labeled "for those with sensitive skin."  Most of the soaps and creams I have bought, sad to say, have given me this type of "complexion." Many of these soaps and creams give me a cushioned and slick shave, but poor to horrible "complexion" after the shave. 

I have also found it does not make a difference whether a product is all natural artisan or mass produced; I've had bad and good reactions to both. I presume I have some sort of allergic reaction to certain ingredients or the percentage of such ingredients contained in the product, which ones I don't know; except, I suspect, I have an allergy to products with some sort of woodsy element--such as cedar, and may be pine.

1 92
 08-02-2016, 12:11 PM
User Info
(08-02-2016, 11:46 AM)Mon Wrote: Matt--

I've actually had your experience on many occasions; the last being just this morning. During and immediately after a shave all feels fine or even quite good, but a few minutes to hours later I can end up with dry skin, which may end up itchy and peeling later in the day, or with raised blotchy red areas. The raised red areas I would get immediately after the shave. Many soaps and creams have given me this "complexion" even when they are touted as giving great "post-shave feel" or labeled "for those with sensitive skin."  Most of the soaps and creams I have bought, sad to say, have given me this type of "complexion." Many of these soaps and creams give me a cushioned and slick shave, but poor to horrible "complexion" after the shave.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your description and I am not attempting to diminish your observation, but this is what I would call razor burn. I would attribute this to many factors, possibly a poor performing soap, but most likely the razor, the blade and how the combination of the two was used. When I experience what you describing it is usually because I went over a particular area too many times.  I think this is particularly true given that you have experienced this with multiple soaps. Just my observations.

75 2,320
 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
With so many tangible and often intangible variables I now make recommendations with the caveat  'different strokes for different folks'. I have a
unproven hypothesis variety is indeed the spice of life. I use even a much loved product and after awhile my face tells me to mix things up. Some
of our soaps; and again, this is  anecdotal, literally throw everything at you in a shotgun effort to please. My face responds to simple or single element formulas. MWF with lanolin, Savonerrie du Moulin with Donkey Milk, Pre de Provence with Shea. Then there are a few that defy
expectations in their elemental simplicity; Brutalt Bra and my most recent; a VERY treasured bar of Dusy Kabinette. I had showered with a PdP soap bar of rose and then had my second, and more studied shave with the Dusy finished with Bulgarian rose water. I almost read a few rare Gertrude Stein short stories but  defered to moderation. It was quite simply magical and this puck will be curated for many years of special shaves. There are no more suprises like the EBAY artisan soap with nag champa that sent me half dressed into a COLD shower and three days of a red and badly irritated face. I EXPECT to finish a shave bereft of whiskers. With such a stable and varied rotation I DON'T HAVE TO worry about flaying myself chemically. I am still
open to try new soaps. But my EXPECTATIONS have seen 'the bar' raised. Captain Eddie Rickenbacker  coined "better dead than red" while President of Eastern Airlines. I prefer that other great American, Alfred E. Newman's "What me worry"?

2 3,171
 08-02-2016, 12:20 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
P.S. I never use preshaves, skin conditioners or sunscreen ( hats last longer) and I finish my shaves with the counterintuitive manly man ritual of an alcohol based facial slap.

2 3,171
 08-02-2016, 03:14 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-02-2016, 10:11 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Matt, maybe you could tell us which products you've tried that make your complexion improve.  I'd be interested in seeing the list, even though "YMMV" always applies.

Sure thing.
Ones that immediately come to mind without any hesitation afterward are:
AoS tallow
AdP new jar

62 3,008
 08-02-2016, 03:19 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-02-2016, 10:54 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I used to think that performance had nothing to do with the added scent (fragrance) but I have grown to think otherwise.

Absolutely! The fragrance can definitely affect how your skin reacts to the (otherwise same) soap base.
Thanks for bringing it up.

62 3,008
 08-02-2016, 03:23 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-02-2016, 11:36 AM)celestino Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 09:23 AM)Ner0 Wrote: I do think there is a bit more though. Because - Why would I only be able to use a few products with NO complexion issues whatsoever... What is different about them?

I understand your curiosity and observations.
Do you use any post-shave products that might contribute to the enhanced complexion that you mention, or do you use just the soap(s)?

I use no post-shave products whatsoever. I was going to bring that up in the OP.
Because I can definitely say that no post-shave product has ever made a bad shave feel better, rather, for me, always makes it feel worse. That's the truth.
And if I have a good shave with the right product then I definitely don't need a post-shave anyway.

62 3,008
 08-02-2016, 03:47 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Pre shaves are like promise rings, near beer  and egg white omeletts.

2 3,171
 08-02-2016, 03:59 PM
User Info
(08-02-2016, 03:47 PM)kav Wrote: Pre shaves are like promise rings, near beer  and egg white omeletts.

Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,320
 08-02-2016, 05:29 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have experienced plenty of soaps that gave me bad complexion--those that contain an ingredient my skin reacts to.  After the shave, in some cases (like Cella for example), my face has bright red blotches.  However, I also recount experiences where you could say my complexion suffered due to the razor and/or blade.  

That being said, those symptoms are temporary, so I'm not sure if i would call it complexion.  On the other hand, I honestly can't say any of the shaving soaps I use show an immediate improvement to my complexion--some definitely make my skin soft after the shave, but that's good old "post-shave feel."  

One note I will make of which I an thoroughly convinced:  Shaving daily definitely improves my general facial complexion.  When I don't shave daily, I am likely to experience minor skin "imperfections" (aka acne or whatever you want to call it).  However, with a daily shave those skin issues are significantly less likely to occur--not sure if it is the deep cleansing nature of the blade against the skin or what, but this is what happens with me, so my complexion is definitely much better due to daily shaving  Biggrin

34 1,627
 08-02-2016, 05:36 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(08-02-2016, 03:19 PM)Nero Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 10:54 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I used to think that performance had nothing to do with the added scent (fragrance) but I have grown to think otherwise.

Absolutely! The fragrance can definitely affect how your skin reacts to the (otherwise same) soap base.
Thanks for bringing it up.

I agree. B&M original Latha and Oceana are wonderful performers for me. Otoh Latha Lavanda made my skin burn and breakout.

7 2,358