08-02-2016, 01:56 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
Hello all,

Does anyone know if Kai blades are coated or not?

0 80
 08-02-2016, 02:01 PM
User Info
I don't know. 

Never thought about it.

I am also interested in this now that you mentioned it. 

I'm actually using one right now this week. Sharp little bugger. Smooth too. I can't tell from looking at it though if it's got a coating.

9 1,411
 08-02-2016, 02:50 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
 08-02-2016, 03:20 PM
User Info
How about the double edge blades?

9 1,411
 08-02-2016, 05:36 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(08-02-2016, 03:20 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: How about the double edge blades?

Yeah that's what I want to know, if the de blades are coated? On the Kai website the de blades are listed under industrial blades and knives. "Not shaving" I've heard they're pretty sharp and smooth though??

0 80
 08-02-2016, 08:34 PM
  • Beau
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
If the Kai DE blades are coated, that seems to be a pretty well-kept secret. I'm looking at a packet of Kai blades now, and there is no mention there of any coating on the stainless steel blades. And I couldn't find anything searching the internet other than the fact that Kai uses a high-quality, medical grade stainless steel in these blades.

0 358
 08-02-2016, 08:56 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
'Surgical Steel' is a old advertising gimmick. There is no such thing. Medical devises merely  stipulate very fine grained, and now stainless alloys to physically eliminate pockets that can provide physical refuge for nasties in use or autoclave sterilisation. Japan is still a industry leader in producing many advanced alloys. The Highly regarded Fallkniven knives are actually made in Japan because nobody else makes the steels in their laminated blades. It's STILL a product of Scandinavian design in form and function. Kais are produced in a famous blade making center going back to a Samurai customer base.I'd guess they aren't coated because they don't need to be. Research how finished swords were tested and graded. Star-wars-smiley-023

2 3,171