08-03-2016, 05:01 PM
User Info
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me with choosing the appropriate blade gap for me. My favorite DE razor, as I've mentioned a few times now, is the Canadian Gillette Tech with a 0.67mm blade gap. You'd think the standard 0.61mm Wolfman would be up my alley, but I find that it is rather tuggy, especially on longer growth. In this regard it's closer to my BBS-1 with its massive 1.00mm blade gap. Clearly something is off, as the wider-gapped Tech feels more secure and sure-footed than the narrower Wolfman.

Has anyone looked into a reduced gap on their Wolfman? My entirely unscientific suspicion is that the Tech secures a blade better than a Wolfman, due to more contact area, so the "tugging" I feel from blade flex is more prominent on the Wolfman and its larger-gapped cousin the BBS-1. Perhaps by reducing the blade gap it would increase the contact area and secure the blade better?

Or am I completely off my rocker and these are just geometric differences in head design that can't be addressed by blade gap adjustment...

16 1,027
 08-03-2016, 05:09 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
The difference is probably exposure, not blade flex. There is absolutely zero blade flex on my Wolfman. If you have the gap reduced, it will also reduce the exposure, so it might be a good choice for you.

3 561
 08-03-2016, 05:50 PM
User Info
(08-03-2016, 05:09 PM)DayMan Wrote: The difference is probably exposure, not blade flex. There is absolutely zero blade flex on my Wolfman. If you have the gap reduced, it will also reduce the exposure, so it might be a good choice for you.

I considered this as well, but then I read this:

http://wolfmanrazors.com/pages/frontpage

Quote:Weight: 29 grams

Blade Gap: .024"(.61mm)
Blade Exposure: Neutral (less than .004" /.1mm )

Above this he also mentions having a rigid blade with uniform exposure, and yet I'm curious why neutrally-exposed razors (Wolfman and BBS-1) create this tugging sensation for me while the Tech does not. I have half a mind to clean and sterilize my Tech and send it to James to try out. Maybe his expertise in actually making these things will give him a better insight into the difference.

16 1,027
 08-03-2016, 06:23 PM
User Info
I don't experience tugging with any of the 3 razors you mention. The BBS-1 is the smoothest of them all for me. The wolfman isn't as smooth especially going ATG.
It could be your technique, since your muscle memory is so used to the tech.
I would think the Tech and BBS-1 require similar techniques since both have a flatter blade compared to the Wolfman!

13 775
 08-03-2016, 06:23 PM
User Info
It's complicated. I won't claim that I completely understand razor geometry. 

There's a combination of factors that affect the performance of a razor. It's not that what works for one person will be what works best for someone else.

That's why I have been trying different razors and blades for so many years. 

I recently got a new Wolfman with a reduced blade gap. It's been fantastic for me. I have tried different blades and not all of them have been great. Luckily my favorite is.

It's not the gentlest razor I have. It is efficient and effective and extremely smooth. 

The angle absolutely matters. 
It's like butter at the right angle. 
I imagine it could bite though if I let it.

Never once felt any kind of chatter like the blade wasn't nice and rigid. Aside from a single edge razor, the Wolfman is about as good as it gets in the DE world for holding the blade tightly I'd say.

I have a standard gap and it's smooth too. It is not as forgiving as the one I just got. I asked for something between the standard gap and the Feather AS-D2. James told me that I have a 0.54 now. It's exactly what I was looking for.

It's not a super gentle razor. It will shave at a less than ideal angle. A Feather, and to a certain extent a Tech, won't. It's clearly not as aggressive as the standard gap. It's still not what I'd call a beginner razor.

I love it. No tugging or irritation for me so far. I did notice when I tried a Kai blade in it that I needed to take it easy. The feedback was telling me that I needed to use a different blade.

I normally use Spoilers. Haven't had a less than great shave with it using one yet. I just got it this past weekend so I am still working on dialing in the shaves. So far I am thrilled with it. 

The standard gap was smooth for me too but it took a few shaves with it to get into the groove. I never got to the point where I was thinking I could just use the standard gap without paying close attention though like I can with a Feather. 

I guess I just have sensitive skin. I have to shave every day and I have a pretty dense and dark beard that shows if I don't get a close shave in the morning. A tricky situation. Plenty of razors will give me the closeness but not many also deliver the comfort too.

For me, the angle and of my technique is very important to avoiding irritation. Usually I have the worst irritation later in the day or the next morning if something goes wrong. So far after a few days with the 0.54 gap it's been smooth sailing and close, long lasting shaves. I don't think I'd want to go to a lesser gap here personally. Seems to be just the step down I was hoping for.

I think what you're experiencing is the wider effective range from the Wolfman. The only thing that I can suggest is using a different angle or just sticking to your Tech if you have a good rapport with it. Not every face works with every razor. Maybe a Wolfman isn't meant to be for you? I will be the first one to say that some razors that others love just don't work for me. Lord knows I've tried my fair share in the search of the best for me.

Seems like you're looking for the Wolfman to be a Tech. Why not just embrace the Tech?

9 1,407
 08-03-2016, 06:34 PM
User Info
I have, also, never experienced any issues with blades feeling less secure in any of the Wolfmans that I had.
I used to have a reduced-gap one, .41mm, and I have the standard-gap one and both hold the blades very tightly.
I also used to have a BBS-1 and, again, had no issues with the blades being held securely.

I just found the BBS-1 to be a tad more aggressive than the standard-gap Wolfman. I also eventually found the .41mm Wolfman to be a tad mild.
The standard-gap Wolfman seems to be working out fairly well, now.

I am not sure how long you have had your Wolfman, but it may just not be a razor that is compatible with your skin as not all razors function similarly.
Have you tried your favourite blades in it and have you used it consistently and tried different angles to see if there is any change?

In the end, if your Tech is your favourite razor, I would highly recommend selling the Wolfman and purchasing a few more Canadian Techs so that you can enjoy your shaves! Shy 
Good luck.

82 21,077
 08-03-2016, 07:23 PM
User Info
Not much to really add but I think there are times where I could agree the BBS-1 could be holding the blade tighter. Now the controversial statement. I have had more mediocre shaves when using the BBS-1 for 1-2 days growth. It really shines with 3 days growth and with a Voshkod.

79 1,338
 08-04-2016, 12:32 AM
User Info
OP, I am asking this question respectfully.  If you've found a razor that works for you, the Canadian Gillette Tech, why is it important to make a Wolfman work also?  I have had many shave products over the years touted as godlike by others, but in my case they were just average.  Sell those products, or gift them to deserving souls and move on.

6 199
 08-04-2016, 01:21 AM
User Info
(08-04-2016, 12:32 AM)Never2Close Wrote: OP, I am asking this question respectfully.  If you've found a razor that works for you, the Canadian Gillette Tech, why is it important to make a Wolfman work also?  I have had many shave products over the years touted as godlike by others, but in my case they were just average.  Sell those products, or gift them to deserving souls and move on.

Ehem.. ehem..  Biggrin

11 1,169
 08-04-2016, 03:25 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(08-03-2016, 05:50 PM)crazindndude Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 05:09 PM)DayMan Wrote: The difference is probably exposure, not blade flex. There is absolutely zero blade flex on my Wolfman. If you have the gap reduced, it will also reduce the exposure, so it might be a good choice for you.

I considered this as well, but then I read this:

http://wolfmanrazors.com/pages/frontpage

Quote:Weight: 29 grams

Blade Gap: .024"(.61mm)
Blade Exposure: Neutral (less than .004" /.1mm )

Above this he also mentions having a rigid blade with uniform exposure, and yet I'm curious why neutrally-exposed razors (Wolfman and BBS-1) create this tugging sensation for me while the Tech does not. I have half a mind to clean and sterilize my Tech and send it to James to try out. Maybe his expertise in actually making these things will give him a better insight into the difference.

I have a tech with the triangle slots and I notice tugging when I shave with it.  I guess that's why there are so many razors.  Different things work for different people.  I would suggest only shaving with the Wolfman for a couple of weeks. You'll probably figure out the angle that works best for you.  You could also try putting a shim on the top cap before you put your blade in.  That should reduce the gap and give you and idea of whether or not you would like a reduced gap.

3 561
 08-04-2016, 05:41 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I am thinking that tugging can sometimes be from not having the right angle on the razor.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-04-2016, 02:17 PM
User Info
Thank you all for your responses! I think "blade flex" isn't the right word, since you guys are absolutely right that the precisely machined Wolfman/BBS-1 heads have no actual blade flex. More likely it's what was mentioned as wide effective angle.

Perhaps the most effective cure then would be rededication to capturing the right cutting angle with what I have. However, if reducing the blade gap would also reduce the effective angle that might aid me as well. I have no problems with my Canadian Tech - indeed, in a world without CNC-machined custom titanium razors I would do quite well with that Tech for the rest of my days - but we do live in a world with such beautiful metalwork available to us. If I can get a Ti Wolfman to behave as excellently as my Tech has been, that would be the end of my RAD almost without question.

Again, thank you all and I look forward to hearing from others' experiences.

16 1,027
 11-01-2016, 05:30 AM
User Info
Did you end up getting the gap reduced? im curious as it has crossed my mind to do this now.

2 107
 11-01-2016, 07:18 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I have a BBS-1, a Wolfman OC standard gap and a Wolfman OC reduced gap (.54).  They're all great.  The BBS-1 is my favorite, hands down, but the OCs are also excellent.  The reduced gap shaves smoother than the standard gap, sacrificing a little closeness.  It's great for the days when I want to back off the aggressiveness and give my skin a break while also getting a solid shave.

Eric

48 976
 11-01-2016, 07:24 AM
User Info
(11-01-2016, 07:18 AM)EricM Wrote: I have a BBS-1, a Wolfman OC standard gap and a Wolfman OC reduced gap (.54).  They're all great.  The BBS-1 is my favorite, hands down, but the OCs are also excellent.  The reduced gap shaves smoother than the standard gap, sacrificing a little closeness.  It's great for the days when I want to back off the aggressiveness and give my skin a break while also getting a solid shave.

Eric
Thats great info Eric, sounds like i may need to look into a blade gap reduction. Is there less blade feel with reduced gap aswell?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

2 107
 11-01-2016, 08:11 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(11-01-2016, 07:24 AM)barber bear Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 07:18 AM)EricM Wrote: I have a BBS-1, a Wolfman OC standard gap and a Wolfman OC reduced gap (.54).  They're all great.  The BBS-1 is my favorite, hands down, but the OCs are also excellent.  The reduced gap shaves smoother than the standard gap, sacrificing a little closeness.  It's great for the days when I want to back off the aggressiveness and give my skin a break while also getting a solid shave.

Eric
Thats great info Eric, sounds like i may need to look into a blade gap reduction. Is there less blade feel with reduced gap aswell?

No problem!  Yes, less blade feel with the reduced gap.  I have an area under my chin that the reduced gap will fly over with ease ATG, whereas the standard gap will "catch" if I'm not careful.  It's good to have options and I like being able to dial it up or down with my razors.

Eric

48 976
 11-01-2016, 08:17 AM
User Info
(11-01-2016, 08:11 AM)EricM Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 07:24 AM)barber bear Wrote:

Eric

No problem!  Yes, less blade feel with the reduced gap.  I have an area under my chin that the reduced gap will fly over with ease ATG, whereas the standard gap will "catch" if I'm not careful.  It's good to have options and I like being able to dial it up or down with my razors.

Eric
Im so jealous, i think i may have to send one of mine back to James for a tweaking. Iv now tried increased and regular gap, now i feel i need this aswell! Cheers again for the info Smile

2 107
 11-01-2016, 08:31 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(11-01-2016, 08:17 AM)barber bear Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 08:11 AM)EricM Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 07:24 AM)barber bear Wrote: Thats great info Eric, sounds like i may need to look into a blade gap reduction. Is there less blade feel with reduced gap aswell?

Eric
Im so jealous, i think i may have to send one of mine back to James for a tweaking. Iv now tried increased and regular gap, now i feel i need this aswell! Cheers again for the info Smile

Glad to help!  I've also used the increased gap, .74, which was very nice.  You could do 1 pass and call it good with that razor, with just a few touch ups.  I think an ideal den would have a .54, a std gap, and a .74.  Smile

Eric

48 976
 11-01-2016, 08:43 AM
User Info
(11-01-2016, 08:31 AM)EricM Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 08:17 AM)barber bear Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 08:11 AM)EricM Wrote: No problem!  Yes, less blade feel with the reduced gap.  I have an area under my chin that the reduced gap will fly over with ease ATG, whereas the standard gap will "catch" if I'm not careful.  It's good to have options and I like being able to dial it up or down with my razors.

Eric

Glad to help!  I've also used the increased gap, .74, which was very nice.  You could do 1 pass and call it good with that razor, with just a few touch ups.  I think an ideal den would have a .54, a std gap, and a .74.  Smile

Eric
Ah for me the increased gap didnt do me too many favours. I always need to go ATG (wtg, atg and touch ups) to get a decent enough shave and for me i didnt need any less passes with the increased gap. It just got me slightly closer with the touch ups. Iv just recently found myself liking Techs again so am thinking i prefer the more easy going shaves. I have a DC Wolfman also so thought about even getting just one side (SB side) a decreased gap but maybe that will become annoying.

2 107
 11-01-2016, 12:45 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I just started using aluminum handle again and I'm getting closer shaves and it's less aggressive. It gives it a head heavy balance and for some reason, that just works better with my technique.

3 561