08-04-2016, 03:37 AM
User Info
Yet another article on why carts costs money.

If you stick to SE and DE you'll keep your wallet happier is my key take away - offer not valid if you catch RAD or BAD or SAD (or any other Acquisition Disorder).

3 4,373
 08-04-2016, 04:27 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Yep, RAD & BAD will definitely throw a monkey wrench into one's plan to actually save money.

4 1,934
 08-04-2016, 06:21 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Nonsense! According to my careful calculations on DE vs cartridge shaving, starting April 17, 2187, I will be saving money on DE shaving. That is, assuming I never buy anything else, ever again.

22 824
 08-04-2016, 07:14 AM
User Info
I am saving money per shave, if we only consider the actual cutting surface  Angel

Once you factor in the devices for holding said cutting surface, and the hardware and software needed to prepare the stubble... I'm not spending any more money than I would on carts and canned goo - but I don't think I'm saving much.

Having a blast shaving though  Biggrin

3 4,373
 08-07-2016, 11:16 AM
User Info
In the article it said that Unilever just bought Dollar Shave Club for a BILLION DOLLARS!  Shok

1 283
 08-07-2016, 12:14 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The last time I bought cat'ridges ( John Wayne speak) was for a Lahti handgun from Finland with a cold weather forward assist chambering lever. The way I figure; this globalised hobby helps
greater world peace via economic ties ( any hostilities generated toward Minnesota drivers on L.A. freeways with snowchains still on Forgiven with Brutalt Bra) more than that old 9MM. Why,
I deserve a stipend for my efforts.

2 3,171
 08-07-2016, 11:50 PM
User Info
(08-04-2016, 03:37 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Yet another article on why carts costs money.

If you stick to SE and DE you'll keep your wallet happier is my key take away - offer not valid if you catch RAD or BAD or SAD (or any other Acquisition Disorder).

A PR campaign for Harry's disguised as a news story. The truth is that Gillette et.al. need people to think that there's a reason the cartridges cost $4 and $5. And this article keeps mentioning the competition that is half that price.

From the story: "It actually starts with buying really fine razor steel. You have to grind steel so that it’s very sharp at its tip and very strong at its base. That gives it both stability and a really crisp cutting surface.”

Derby can made blades for $0.08 each, and Feather (which we'll mostly agree is the sharpest out there) is $0.30 each.  I am being a little obtuse since the grinding wheel is going to be complicated for a multi-blade cartridge, plus the complexity of mounting it in the plastic, packaging, etc. But I don't buy the explanation, especially considering the source of the interview.

6 682
 08-08-2016, 02:02 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Margins. Make something that costs twice as much, looks complicated enough so that public thinks it must cost thrice, and charge five times more using the old R&D excuse.

7 2,281
 08-08-2016, 03:57 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-07-2016, 11:50 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 03:37 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Yet another article on why carts costs money.

Derby can made blades for $0.08 each, and Feather (which we'll mostly agree is the sharpest out there) is $0.30 each.  I am being a little obtuse since the grinding wheel is going to be complicated for a multi-blade cartridge, plus the complexity of mounting it in the plastic, packaging, etc. But I don't buy the explanation, especially considering the source of the interview.

The price contrasts are always skewed to bolster the writer’s point.  In this thread, there have been mentions of $4 and $5 cartridges and $0.08 DE blades, implying that cartridges regularly cost 50 to 60 times as much as DE blades.

For 40 years, I shaved primarily with Gillette, then Schick, cartridge razors (NB:  I was wet shaving:  using a brush to make lather for shave prep that entire time).  During that period, the cost of bread and the cost of milk and the cost of newspapers and the cost of most other things escalated by orders of magnitude, and so did the price of the cartridges I purchased.  The last time (June 2014) that I purchased a pack of cartridges at the grocery store, the price was $9.99 for five cartridges; that is $2.00 per cartridge — and the Schick Hydro3 cartridges were much better than the WIlkinson Bonded Blade cartridges I purchased in the early 1970s or the Gillette Trac II cartridges that were the first Gillettes that I purchased; they were also much better than the last top-of the-line Gillette Mach3 cartridges that I purchased some years into the 21st century.   So I take the $4 or $5 per cartridge malarkey with a fistful of salt.  

Except under a microscope, all DE razor blades look pretty much alike; unless they are rusted, the only way to tell them apart with the naked eye is by the brand name (or lack thereof) printed on the blade.  But I think that most of the participants in this forum believe, or acknowledge, that there really are differences among DE blades, and that the fivefold price differential between low-price DE blades and high-price DE blades is somewhat, perhaps even fully, justified, certainly as pertains to value, and, at least partially, as pertains to cost of manufacture and distribution.  Different grades of steel have differential costs; coating blade edges with Platinum or Teflon or whatever is not cost-free, etc.  Aside:  yr obdnt srvnt does not concur with the statement that “we'll mostly agree” that Feather blades are “the sharpest out there" or with the unstated premise-in-context of that statement that sharpness is the only criterion to assess the value of a blade.

When I take into account that I regularly got a dozen to 15 shaves with each $2 Schick Hydro3 cartridge and that I get five to eight good shaves with each $0.40 Japanese DE blade, I cannot help but be dismissive of comparisons that imply that the cost per shave using disposable cartridges is 50 to 60 times the cost per shave of using disposable DE blades.  The arithmetic simply does not work out that way.

0 1,049
 08-08-2016, 04:21 AM
User Info
Gillette Fusion carts costs about 6.40USD per cart over here... YMMV I guess Smile

3 4,373
 08-08-2016, 05:17 AM
User Info
(08-04-2016, 06:21 AM)chamm Wrote: Nonsense! According to my careful calculations on DE vs cartridge shaving, starting April 17, 2187, I will be saving money on DE shaving. That is, assuming I never buy anything else, ever again.

Really - that soon?  Haven't been buying anything lately?   Tongue

4 465
 08-09-2016, 06:02 PM
User Info
I have a fairly coarse beard, but here's the simple math for my experience - taking blade cost & 5 shaves per week into account:

1 8-pack of Gillette fusion power carts = $26.50, @5 shaves per cart = 40 shaves, or .66cents per shave. 2 months worth of shaves.
1 100-pack of GSBs = around $20, @4 shaves per blade = 400 shaves, or .05cents per shave. 14-ish months worth of shaves. 

DISCLAIMERS: locally sourced Gillette fusion 8-packs routinely go for $34.99; I quoted the lowest price I could find online. I can routinely push a GSB to 5 or 6 shaves, but I wanted to present the results of a more common case. Gillette fusion power were the last carts I regularly purchased, prior to DE. I realize that many folks can get 10-15 shaves from a cart, but I can't - which was one of my primary reasons for switching. 

For someone with a coarse beard who changes the blade often, wet shaving quickly skews in favor of DE blades. Not as dramatic as some examples:
  cost per shave (.66c cart, .05c DE)
  yearly cost ($159 cart, $20 DE)

26 986
 08-10-2016, 02:38 PM
User Info
(08-09-2016, 06:02 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I have a fairly coarse beard, but here's the simple math for my experience - taking blade cost & 5 shaves per week into account:

1 8-pack of Gillette fusion power carts = $26.50, @5 shaves per cart = 40 shaves, or .66cents per shave. 2 months worth of shaves.
1 100-pack of GSBs = around $20, @4 shaves per blade = 400 shaves, or .05cents per shave. 14-ish months worth of shaves. 

DISCLAIMERS: locally sourced Gillette fusion 8-packs routinely go for $34.99; I quoted the lowest price I could find online. I can routinely push a GSB to 5 or 6 shaves, but I wanted to present the results of a more common case. Gillette fusion power were the last carts I regularly purchased, prior to DE. I realize that many folks can get 10-15 shaves from a cart, but I can't - which was one of my primary reasons for switching. 

For someone with a coarse beard who changes the blade often, wet shaving quickly skews in favor of DE blades. Not as dramatic as some examples:
  cost per shave (.66c cart, .05c DE)
  yearly cost ($159 cart, $20 DE)

Great point.  My beard also seems to dull blades pretty quickly.  I seem to be able to get 5 shaves as well from the carts I've tried.  I should note that 2-bladed carts seemed to be my limit.  When they added a third blade, I seemed to be pulling hair out rather than cutting it.  Maybe the 5-bladed models can give more shaves per cart... I suppose I should try.

0 1,055