08-04-2016, 10:22 AM
User Info
About 15 months ago I picked up a jar of Cella and a jar of Valobra (Fougere). Both have tallow, which I like, and both highly recommended.

Tried them both, and, for some strange reason, I didn't like either. Put them in the back of the drawer, and there they sat, until this summer.

Started using them again, and now they're in my regular rotation. Use them every week. Love 'em. Strange.

Do you ever change your mind about a soap? Like it, then dislike it...or dislike it, then like it?

1 397
 08-04-2016, 10:33 AM
User Info
Yep. All the time. Same experience with a puck of Valobra. 
IMO, water characteristics and skin conditions change from season to season and that might contribute to the confusion.

8 1,126
 08-04-2016, 11:16 AM
User Info
It does happen all the time.  I particularly think it happens when you first start out shaving the non canned goo way.  It takes a bit to learn proper lathering technique and during this learning process I found myself disliking soaps for poor performance of some sort but once I got a good technique down these same items became great performers.  It was hard for me as I started this journey out by learning with creams.  Creams tend to be so much easier to deal with starting out.  Almond size dab, some water and poof it's all good.

I also like to give razors a few attempts before I toss in the towel.  If I don't like something, I pop it on a shelf and come back to it in a few months.

129 6,685
 08-04-2016, 11:34 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Yes, but it's mostly fragrance-based. Many times I have unpacked a soap, decant, etc and after a sniff or two, shelved them. I've since learned - more than once - that I can come back to them in a month or two and my olfactory impression is quite different. It makes me wonder if fragrances 're-wire' the brain over time.

Cheers, Steve

7 523
 08-04-2016, 01:02 PM
User Info
Not with soaps, but with razors. Biggrin

83 21,077
 08-04-2016, 01:42 PM
User Info
(08-04-2016, 11:34 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Yes, but it's mostly fragrance-based. Many times I have unpacked a soap, decant, etc and after a sniff or two, shelved them. I've since learned - more than once - that I can come back to them in a month or two and my olfactory impression is quite different. It makes me wonder if fragrances 're-wire' the brain over time.

Cheers, Steve

My experience is the same as Steve's in that my initial impression of the soap fragrance leaves me uninspired. When I go back and try it a month later it seems to my nose to be a completely different scent.

I have some professional experience with the brain re-wiring itself and there may be something to it with fragrances as well.  Initially when exposed if the fragrance has new notes the brain does not recognize it will seem abnormal.  After exposure over time it becomes familiar and acceptable.  Basically the brain is a bit shocked by the new experience and cannot get past the abnormality of it, with repeated exposure it becomes less abnormal the brain can calm down so to speak and assess the fragrance more rationally.  Still doesn't mean your going to like it later on.

That's a complete wild a** guess.  Professionally I am an ear guy, not a nose guy, but both are wired to the same brain.

6 224
 08-04-2016, 03:35 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I've bought, sold, and repurchased more soaps than I care to admit.

168 1,378
 08-04-2016, 04:12 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Happens to me all the time...with soaps, razors, brushes, and blades. That's why I learned to keep things around and revisit them occasionally -- sometimes it is a pleasant surprise Biggrin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 1,628
 08-04-2016, 04:12 PM
User Info
Disregarding when I initially started wet shaving, my soap preferences for scent and performance have remained consistent. I'm down to one razor (ATT H1) and nearly always a single blade choice (GSB).

27 1,080
 08-05-2016, 02:44 AM
User Info
Did it with Lea Classic hard shaving soap. First bowl gave me a great shave. Then didn't use it for 1-2 years. Repurchased a puck and bowl and got awful dry flaky performance. Tried it 3 times to be sure. Yes, awful soap. Now use it to dial in my new boars, will never use it for an actual shave again.

24 5,965
 08-05-2016, 04:20 AM
User Info
For me it was Cella. in the beginning I had the small red tub and the fragrance alone triggered an involuntary gagging impulse. I bought it 3 separate times and finally gave up. A couple of years later my son had a tub of it and I smelled it and to my amazement, it was heavenly, and I literally couldn't get enough of it. Almost like an obsession. Four shaves with it, and it became almost neutral, and I lost interest. Then I finally bought one of the 1K bricks and found the almond fragrance to be a beautiful thing. It's a mystery, but Cella is a wonderful soap even in spite of the weirdness. I've used up about 250g of the brick and will eventually finish it off no matter how long it might take considering there are tons of other stuff in my closet. Gotta have Cella!

24 1,226
 08-05-2016, 05:02 AM
User Info
Not with soaps but with razors.  Tried open comb razors and did not like them.  They sat for awhile then I tried them again and things clicked and they are back in the rotation.

4 465
 08-05-2016, 06:10 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(08-05-2016, 04:20 AM)brothers Wrote: For me it was Cella. in the beginning I had the small red tub and the fragrance alone triggered an involuntary gagging impulse. I bought it 3 separate times and finally gave up. A couple of years later my son had a tub of it and I smelled it and to my amazement, it was heavenly, and I literally couldn't get enough of it. Almost like an obsession. Four shaves with it, and it became almost neutral, and I lost interest. Then I finally bought one of the 1K bricks and found the almond fragrance to be a beautiful thing. It's a mystery, but Cella is a wonderful soap even in spite of the weirdness. I've used up about 250g of the brick and will eventually finish it off no matter how long it might take considering there are tons of other stuff in my closet. Gotta have Cella!

I've had a similar experience.  Was initially turned off years back by the small red tub croap.  Didn't think about Cella again until they relaunched "Cella Milano" last month.  I thought I'd give it a try again...seeing that it is so loved by many...and like you I bought the brick, not the tub.  COMPLETE 180 degree turn!  Now I love the Cella brick and accompanying aftershave lotion.

168 1,378
 08-05-2016, 06:13 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-04-2016, 03:35 PM)Steelman Wrote: I've bought, sold, and repurchased more soaps than I care to admit.

Smile uhhhhhm yeeeeahhhh, same here with one particular product. Lots of one particular product.

59 2,808
 08-05-2016, 11:06 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Pre de Provence was on my bucket list of soaps to try and somehow kept getting bumped from my infrequent orders. I loved the bath soap Phil had to discontinue because  the multiple and often changing scents made stocking a PITA. So, when Celestino PIF a tin I was really excited; lovely scent and predictable performance from this established company. It lathered almost to quickly and I found myself rinsing as quick with a violent
reaction to the essential oils. I tucked it away and there it sat for a month. I kept thinking about what went wrong and on impulse tried it again.
It was night and day and it is now in my short list of must haves. My only theory is it must be very prepotent until initial use and perhaps a little
aging is helpfull. I plan to buy a stash soon and test this. Product is like any other first impression; You never get a second chance. I am usually right in mine ( neckties, women, friendly dogs, politicians) but once in awhile second imprssions win out.

2 3,171
 08-05-2016, 01:31 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It happens all the time to me with the scents of the soaps and creams I have. I get bored easily. I can't say the same with the performance of a product. If I don't like the way it performs after 5-6 tries, that won't change in the future.

49 1,996
 08-07-2016, 05:07 PM
User Info
Did you ever have to make up your mind?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

1 397
 08-07-2016, 06:13 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
i thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

2 3,171
 08-07-2016, 06:36 PM
User Info
Happened with MLS Bodhisattva. Off the puck, I didn't really like Bodhisattva but after a couple uses, it grew on me and it's great.

0 79