01-23-2014, 01:25 PM
User Info
For authentic Bay rum recipes a key ingredient is West Indian Bay leaves (Pimenta racemosa). These are not the regular bay leaves (bay laurel) and are different in both shape and most importantly smell. There are different variants of this tree with variations in scents due to slightly different essential oils in the leaves some have a more cinnamon like smell and some have a more lime/citrus scent naturally. Using the West Indian bay leaves also yields a nice colour as well. These leaves are difficult to find but I know of a place where you can get 'em if you are ever interested in trying them out.

0 1
 04-13-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
(08-03-2012, 09:22 AM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: Don't give this man a sample.

Seriously, this sounds very interesting.

By all means never give him a sample.
One question how drink able is this stuff and is it flammable?

0 129
 06-11-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Fantastic info, going to give it a go

3 71
 06-29-2014, 05:38 AM
User Info
Sounds like a fun experiment!

8 909
 07-06-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
OK, I took the plunge and mixed up a batch yesterday. I increased the volume of liquid by adding 2 OZ. of witch hazel, plus some whole cloves and just a touch of fresh-ground black pepper, then bumped the "solids" by 50% to (hopefully!) compensate for the added volume. Right now it smells strongly of alcohol and orange. I'm anxious to see how it turns out! (Of course, my wife looked me square in the eye and told me I was crazy. I simply responded that if she didn't know that by now...Tongue)

2 597
 01-06-2015, 08:46 PM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
Well I'm gonna have'ta try my hand at this. I'll bet it smells great, and I think a bit of witch hazel and glycerin, like wingdo said, would be good, too.

29 330
 01-09-2015, 02:44 AM
User Info
I will try this thank you. I must buy the rum and oranges but have the vodka Biggrin and spice in my hands now. But I must buy the right bay oil where?

0 155
 01-11-2015, 10:55 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Great idea, I think that I will try to mix a batch. This sounds like good stuff.

28 1,622
 02-02-2015, 07:49 AM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
I have read that a lot of guys don't like the cloves at all, or nearly as strong as many commercial products present it.

29 330
 05-07-2015, 11:24 AM
User Info
Great post. I've been making various bay rums along with perfumes some years now. Any spoilage issues using fresh ingredients? I've had issues with that, and retaining the oils of the botanical s using a fresh materials method. I wish I knew how Shillingford, etc. did there's. Essential oil will dissolve in a 100 alcohol solution, but then when brought to the circa 15 percent recommended, becomes oil separate from the solution again.

Any comments? I saw a mention of essential oil, which is alot less work than mixing botanical bits. Seems industry still has some secrets.

0 13
 08-06-2015, 01:21 PM
User Info
(01-09-2015, 02:44 AM)stephengilley Wrote: I will try this thank you. I must buy the rum and oranges but have the vodka Biggrin and spice in my hands now. But I must buy the right bay oil where?

I got mine here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1W001A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

0 7
 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
(05-07-2015, 11:24 AM)Frodo Baggins Wrote: Great post. I've been making various bay rums along with perfumes some years now. Any spoilage issues using fresh ingredients? I've had issues with that, and retaining the oils of the botanical s using a fresh materials method. I wish I knew how Shillingford, etc. did there's. Essential oil will dissolve in a 100 alcohol solution, but then when brought to the circa 15 percent recommended, becomes oil separate from the solution again.

Any comments? I saw a mention of essential oil, which is alot less work than mixing botanical bits. Seems industry still has some secrets.

Sounds like you need to use some kind of emulsifier but I do not know what a good one would be.

0 7
 01-10-2016, 12:37 PM
User Info
very interesting.  i mix castor oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, tea tree, rosemary, cedarwood essential oils for my aftershave.  very unique but i like it.  keeps the acne down too

0 144
 03-18-2016, 01:45 PM
  • Slawman
  • St. Joseph, Illinois
User Info
I have added some witch hazel to some "Wicked Rascal" Bay Rum my local barber makes. It has no alcohol or witch hazel in it. I got some witch hazel with 15% alcohol & added it to this bay rum & made a big difference to me. He has some nice shave soap & other scents & different products you might want to look into
 Go to wickedrascalgroomingco@gmail.com       Tell them Dave Huffman sent you!

Dave H.

0 17
 03-04-2017, 07:43 PM
User Info
(08-01-2012, 06:28 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: I liked the scents of Captain's Choice, and Dominica Bay Rum aftershaves, but thought that the prices I paid for them were a bit excessive. I decided then to try my hand at making my own bay rum aftershave using a recipe I had stumbled across from The Art of Manliness
The recipe is as follows:
4 Ounces Vodka
2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
2 Dried Bay Leaves
1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
Fresh Zest from a Small Orange

Mix all ingredients, let sit for two weeks out of light in warm environment in a sealed glass container. At the end of two weeks, strain through a coffee filter.

For my ingredients, I began with these:
[Image: 20120718_214548.jpg]
Note: I wasn't sure if there would be a difference between dried bay leaves and fresh bay leaves, so I went ahead and made separate batches, one with dried, one with fresh. It should also be noted that I used ground allspice.

Here is what my two batches looked like after mixing the ingredients. The fresh bay leaf batch is on the right:
[Image: 20120718_220025.jpg]

Initially, both smelled strongly of alcohol, mixed with allspice. Not a day passed over the two weeks where I didn't pick up the two bottles and agitate them. I was extremely eager for them to be done. At the end of the two weeks, both batches looked like this:
[Image: 20120801_190019.jpg]

Here are both batches being filtered through plain coffee filters into glasses. I required only one straining to remove all sediment. YMMV:
[Image: 20120801_190618.jpg]

Here are the two batches, back in their original jars. As you can see, the batch with fresh bay leaves turned out to be slightly darker. I suspect this is because more oil was extracted from the fresh leaves, compared to the dried. However, in regards to smell, both batches smelled completely the same:
[Image: 20120801_205540.jpg]

Each batch produced just over 100mL. I'm not very good at describing smells, but the orange definitely over-powers this scent, with the spiciness as an afterthought. Pictured below is the fresh leaf batch, which I will be trying out tomorrow after I shave. I plan on trying both batches as they are, and both batches with glycerine in them, comparing differences between the two and will update this post when complete.
[Image: 20120801_210348.jpg]

For future batches, I would like to substitute lime for the orange, make a batch with no fruit, and make a batch with a pinch of pipe tobacco, at the suggestion of others.

Enjoy!

-Grant

One thing to look for in making this is that the rum you choose has real cane sugar and not some chemical stuff.

0 38