08-05-2016, 08:06 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My computer is having issues again or I would find a way to post photos. This will be, I hope a heeded caveat about the highly regarded 
Savonerrie du Moulin assmilk soap. In my possession is a Tempete in it's original ashwood container with drain hole and Loufa pad. The
second is a regular puck installed in a non draining bowl with lid. Both saw enough repeat use to reduce their height a good 1/4".
Sadly, the transferred puck  has degraded. Gone is the beehive pattern from the extruding process to a putty consistency with a darker
grey-tan color and considerable felt moisture content. It lathered, but nothing like it's still crisp Tempete  stablemate and post shave benefits
were zip,nada,nil.
I know a lot of folks transferred their pucks as this one. My conditions may have been extreme, but deviating from SdMs instructions was a
disaster. This is truly a remarkable product line and I hope my mistake will serve as reminder and warning.

2 3,171
 08-05-2016, 08:51 PM
User Info
I wonder if the lid was the culprit. I put mine, regular and tempete in a ceramic bowl. I didn't mold it or grate it just wet the bottom of the puck and stuck it to the bottom of the bowl. No lid... Still looks the same and performs the same.. The wood container it came in fell apart so the aforementioned option is what I went with. All is right in the ass milk world Biggrin

17 1,297
 08-07-2016, 01:20 AM
User Info
Interesting. My transferred puck doesn't see very frequent use but thankfully still looks normal. I just grated it up and pressed it into an AoS wooden bowl. How often have you been using the transferred soap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,196
 08-07-2016, 02:05 AM
User Info
I actually had a similar experience with Tempete when I transferred it. It didn't degrade, but the performance declined substantially. I couldn't figure out what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 279
 08-07-2016, 10:01 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
When I am introduced to a new soap I like to use it exclusively until exausted ( the soap , not me). This lets me know @ how many shaves I get, not that I care about cost per shave spreadsheets and any issues with aging, a very rare occurance with hard soaps. I've found at worse MWF seems to fade both in scent ( minimal to start anyway and a slight drop off in lathering close to the end of a puck). With normal care SDM was just as good from day one to day one hundred and fifty. My Tempete #2 and regular #3 are the two in question. Tempete remained in it's dedicated ash wood container and loufa. #3 regular scent went into a bowl with lid and with a combined shaves of @ fifty each. The Tempete is as lovely as day one. #3 was a mess. excess moisture retention seems the culprit. I plan on another Tempete, only will seal the ashwood container for duarability.

2 3,171