08-05-2016, 08:46 PM
User Info
Story time again.

Last year a neighbor of mine was over and asked to use the bathroom. When he came out his jaw was dropped and his face was agog. I had over 40 different pristine safety razors of various types in racks on display in my bathroom. He wanted to know everything about wetshaving and I told him all I knew. Two weeks later he knocked on my door and thrust a fist full of hundred dollar bills at me wanting to know if I'd sell my entire collection. Long story short I sold everything but 2 razors. I kept my Gillette short comb NEW, and my Gem Damaskene.

The NEW was my 2nd favorite razor and my neighbor really wanted my Superspeed and offered me more money than I could say no to, so it was gone. It really did give me the perfect shave every time. In all my search, there was never an Edwin Jagger or Muhle or SABI or anything else that was quite as right for me in every way. There was always some sort of compromise and I regretted selling it.

Well, gents, today I got in the mail another cased 1940's Superspeed I bought from Ebay. I inserted a fresh Astra SP in it, lathered up with some Stirling Barbershop using my Omega boar brush and had the shave of my life. It was even better than I remember. It was like coming home. THIS is how wet-shaving is supposed to be!

Now, I know you guys like your $150 and higher all stainless modern wonder razors with handles a foot long and as wide as a baseball bat. I mean, I get it. I really do.  The wet-shaving resurgence of late makes it an exciting market now with lots of new manufacturers. It just seems odd to be there hasn't been a mention of a vintage Gillette on the front page for a while.  

I've tried a LOT of razors, but for pure shaving quality, comfort, ease and style, it never got any better than the plain old vintage 1940's Gillette Superspeed. No nicks, no cuts, no errors. 

You fellas keep on chasing those sexy new young razors that have all that flash and allure. I don't fault you for it. More power to you, in fact. Me, however, I've found my perfect instrument which, in my eyes, needs no improvement. She's older, sure, and she's not as flashy but she takes care of me in a way that suits me right down to my toes. "I'll never let you go again, baby!"

Have you fellas ever found your perfect razor? Tell me about it.

1 283
 08-05-2016, 10:01 PM
User Info
Nice, congrats man. I have one from Delta Echo. 

My favorite vintage right now is the English flat bottomed tech. Heck of a shaver that one. 

I paired it with iKon's bulldog handle and it looked gorgeous.

11 1,169
 08-06-2016, 04:26 AM
User Info
I think after reading this I need to revisit the small DE/SE collection I have, maybe use one on Sundays with my vintage Old Spice, better that then sit in a drawer and go unused.

6 1,335
 08-06-2016, 04:54 AM
User Info
My 48-49 Milord is my second favorite shaver after my birth quarter Aristocrat Adjustable. (Though I'd be curious to try a short-handle SA.)

0 25
 08-06-2016, 08:18 AM
User Info
Yes, I too have the perfect razor that is matched by no other. For me, it too is the 1948-49 NDC Superspeed.

I keep trying different razors, including the new stainless stuff, but nothing compares. Every time I go back to my baby, I wonder why I strayed for so long. 

I guess I keep thinking I would like something just a hair more aggressive, but I have never found anything better in my roughly 13 years wet shaving.

20 162
 08-06-2016, 09:03 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Go back several years and SOP advise to new shavers was a Merkur HD or early Superspeed. Everyone would dutifully make their Haj to EBAY and wade through pages of Gillette. I went Merkur. I didn't feel like a 17 year old with my summer savings talking to square deal Johnny at the used car lot looking at Chryslers because dad and older brother drove Chryslers. Enterprising shavers began cleaning up and even replating less than stellar examples. Prices began their inevitable rise. I imagine no few buyers sat UNSHAVEN at their computers, yelling at the delivery guy to come on in with pizza and pepsi
less some trophy escape; chanting mantras about notch-no notch, date code and a vintage razor wrapper with king Gillette taped to the the monitor for luck. Today it's Wolfmans. I've observed this in other pursuits from firearms, equestrian,formal tea services. I just watched two EBAYER'S in a bidding war for a MOTE SPOON. Two weeks ago I didn't have a clue they even existed. I was lucky.
A reference made it clear I have the impedimentia that supplanted it's need. Those two ladies epic conflict would make WWE divas flee the arena. One man's Superspeed is another Man's Merkur. Just enjoy your shave.

2 3,171
 08-06-2016, 01:01 PM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
My 48-49 SS is my favorite as well, followed closely by a 47 Aristocrat. I also use an EJ DE 89 fairly regularly, and have shaved with almost every model Gillette out there. I still find the SS to be consistently comfortable while providing a very, very close shave. I understand that everyone has their own favorites, and I'm certainly not saying that it is the best DE razor that there is. There is no "best" DE. kav stated it well, "One man's Superspeed is another Man's Merkur. Just enjoy your shave."

Matt

0 62
 08-06-2016, 02:11 PM
User Info
The 1940's superspeed is my only razor also...  I have a fatboy, but I seem to do better with my superspeed.  I am going to get my fatboy replated and give it to my son...

Steve

0 3
 08-06-2016, 02:36 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
....love love love the gold black beauty...................wish i had one..........

45 1,066
 08-06-2016, 07:41 PM
User Info
My favorite razor by far is my f2 fatboy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Paul Bryan

0 748
 08-07-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
(08-05-2016, 10:01 PM)1Geralt Wrote: Nice, congrats man. I have one from Delta Echo. 

My favorite vintage right now is the English flat bottomed tech. Heck of a shaver that one. 

I paired it with iKon's bulldog handle and it looked gorgeous.

English flat bottom techs is great isn't it? Tongue 

I was going to get the 40s style ss but bought a rocket HD instead

0 79
 08-09-2016, 04:53 PM
User Info
I really enjoy my fatboy and my super speeds. I have a couple of lower cost modern razors like Maggard's but always go back to the Gillettes.

I switched to straight razors but when I am in a hurry I got to the fatboy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4 465
 08-11-2016, 01:37 AM
User Info
Currently using the Gillette Steel Black Tip, you can hear it cutting the whiskers, but it is really is smooth. I'd say near on impossible to cut yourself with it.

Also use a Gillette Junior Aristocrat 1949, this razor is slightly more aggressive, but still really smooth. With a sharper blade (bic or feather) this razor is in a league of it's on, becoming aggressive and giving an unforgettable close shave.

In my experience it's a lot too do with what Blade is paired with the Razor.

0 42
 08-11-2016, 05:51 AM
User Info
When I first got into wet shaving, I fell victim to the lure of the new, varied Merkurs, EJs, et al. It was an interesting journey, but then I discovered the shave wiki and the date tables. Oh, my. On something more involved than a whim, I started looking for a birth razor and found that 1947 is one of the NDC years. However, the 40s SS has a single year identifier in '47 with the no notch blade mount. So I could have a birth year razor, but couldn't get it any closer than 1 year. That was good enough for me, so I haunted the 'bay and the BST on B&B (no ShaveNook then). I got one on the BST, and I've been hooked ever since. I found that the 40s SS paired with Gillette Platinums is a really good combination for me. I still use it quite often, and now have 2 of them, 1 in fine but not mint original condition and a minty replate. If I hadn't left them both in Florida when we got out of the heat for the summer, I'd be shaving with one a couple of times a week. I also found that the old Iridiums work really well in a '47 for me, and I've got a pretty good stash of those blades. 

I haven't tried a Tech, which I see in discussions here is in the same ballpark as the SS as far as comfort level and aggression go. I'll probably get one somewhere along the way and do have a Feather, which I think falls into the same area. But try as I might, I haven't found anything I enjoy using or feel more confidence in, than those 40s Super Speeds. I'll probably have to get 2 more along the way so I can leave one each behind for my son and 2 grandsons and 1 great grandson.

8 103
 09-16-2016, 01:24 PM
User Info
Sorry to dig up old subject mine is a 59 Fat boy and close second is Flare Super speed. A non-gillette that's an easy shave is a German Cosmo travel razor. Recently bought a 41 Ranger Tech and a 53 Super Speed and will have to put them through their paces.

0 596
 09-16-2016, 01:58 PM
User Info
Ball end OLD type, best razor ever made!

0 263
 09-16-2016, 02:04 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(09-16-2016, 01:58 PM)TobyC Wrote: Ball end OLD type, best razor ever made!

Toby, you can use it with the usual DE blades we all know? I found one in good condition, no crack in the handle etc. Should I buy it?

49 1,996
 09-16-2016, 05:37 PM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 02:04 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 01:58 PM)TobyC Wrote: Ball end OLD type, best razor ever made!

Toby, you can use it with the usual DE blades we all know? I found one in good condition, no crack in the handle etc. Should I buy it?

Jump on it!!! Yes, regular DE blades, I use Feathers, Astra Superior Stainless, Kai,... etc.  Thumbsup

0 263
 09-16-2016, 06:51 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Regularfella, I want to thank you (or blame you) for introducing me to vintage Gillettes. You and another poster peaked my interest a while back. Since the I have acquired New Types, Super Speeds, Aristocrats (Juniors, British, American), Fat Boys, Slim Adjustables, Pre War Techs, Post War techs and more.

I'm like a kid in a candy store. I've shaved with them all.

Thanks.

61 507
 09-16-2016, 07:50 PM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 06:51 PM)gp569900 Wrote: Regularfella, I want to thank you (or blame you) for introducing me to vintage Gillettes. You and another poster peaked my interest a while back. Since the I have acquired New Types, Super Speeds, Aristocrats (Juniors, British, American), Fat Boys, Slim Adjustables, Pre War Techs, Post War techs and more.

I'm like a kid in a candy store. I've shaved with them all.

Thanks.

Just wait until you try a Shovelhead SE! You'll wonder why you bothered with all those DE razors!

0 263