08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
I'm going to start by saying that I'm not looking to get a new 2-band, but I'll leave it up to y'all for some world class enabling!

I'm loving my SOC 2-band brush. It has almost completely taken over my natural brush rotation. I find that I love the backbone it has which is what drew me into using boars a ton in the first place. My boars aren't seeing as much use lately as I just don't seem to have the time to allow them to soak in the mornings like I need to. So, my synthetics & badgers are seeing the most use (primarily SOC & Muhle Black Fibre).

Finally, here's my question. If I love the backbone of the SOC but would like the tips to be just a hair softer, then what would you recommend? Other 2-bands? Super dense best? I face lather exclusively; the SOC handle is superb; more traditional handles I like a thicker handle that's easy & comfortable to hold. As I'm not planning on buying anything at the moment feel free to make any price range recommendations, with 1 exception... I doubt I'll ever afford a Manchurian from Simpson while remaining married (& yes I'd like to stay married Tongue).

Thanks in advance!

And...

GO!

31 7,912
 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I'm actually planning on ordering one of these on Friday with the LE. I've read great stuff about it. It should be interesting to see what those who already have one advise you to get.

5 270
 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
User Info
Shavemac D01 3-band fan or M&F Blonde is what you need to complement your SOC.

2 180
 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I sometimes wonder whats on my mind when I answer a post....

Vie Long could be one of the best options out there.Vie Long European white two band badger hair is very different than many of the current 2 band badger brushes offered right now.More flow than the SOC,and the tips,with time,get very soft,but not silvertip soft.

86 7,123
 08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
Lots of backbone, but softer tips eh?

You can try to find a silvertip brush with a really short loft.

But Simpsons Manchurian does come to the forefront of my recommendations of other manufacturers brushes. Rooney finest maybe.

9 2,988
 08-01-2012, 11:47 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I'm very interested in this thread as well as I am on the search for a similar brush. However, I think the SOC 2-band is maybe too dense.

Brian, my sights have been on either the Bullgoose LE Vie Long Silvertips, a Thater 3-band, a Shavemac D01, or a Kim Son Vu Silvertip, with preference currently going towards the Bullgoose.

35 1,732
 08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-01-2012, 11:47 PM)Tonality Wrote: I'm very interested in this thread as well as I am on the search for a similar brush. However, I think the SOC 2-band is maybe too dense.

Brian, my sights have been on either the Bullgoose LE Vie Long Silvertips, a Thater 3-band, a Shavemac D01, or a Kim Son Vu Silvertip, with preference currently going towards the Bullgoose.

The Kim Son Vu,unless you ask it for a specific loft,its very dense of badger hair,but of the soft side,not being floppy as a mop,but with a very soft natural hair firmness.

86 7,123
 08-02-2012, 01:53 AM
User Info
I do not have a Vie-Long Silvertip or a Shavemac D01, so I cannot comment on those.

However, I have 2 Kimsons and a Thäter in 3-band, and they are very good brushes, very well balanced. The Thäter has a perfect balance between soft tips and a good amount of backbone. The Kimsons have a little less backbone, but still a very versatile brush. Both are very dense, and extremely soft at the tips, softer than the Rooney Silvertips, for example.

If you go for the Kimson, you may want to ask for a slightly lower loft, around ~50mm.

2 5,527
 08-02-2012, 04:13 AM
User Info
(08-01-2012, 08:41 PM)Teiste Wrote: I sometimes wonder whats on my mind when I answer a post....

Vie Long could be one of the best options out there.Vie Long European white two band badger hair is very different than many of the current 2 band badger brushes offered right now.More flow than the SOC,and the tips,with time,get very soft,but not silvertip soft.

Teiste, I might be asking an impossible question, but ignoring the density difference between the two brushes (SOC 2 band and Vie Long 2 band), how does the backbone of the hairs compare to one another?

0 241
 08-02-2012, 04:29 AM
User Info
I was expecting the Shavemac D01 recommendation. The Vie-Long silvertip is a bit surprising. Do you think their 3-band has enough backbone or are y'all referring to their 2-band? I think all of the Bullgoose Vie-Long badgers are 3-band silvertip.

What does surprise me the most is what's missing so far which I thought would be prevalent, the Simpsons 2-band super. Keep the recs coming guys. Thanks!

31 7,912
 08-02-2012, 04:56 AM
User Info
The 3 band VL doesn't have the backbone and behavior of the SOC. It relies on the density to support the knot, and it's much much softer than SOC. I have the E16510 2 band VL which has the great backbone and the flow through of the SOC, slightly less dense, but the tips a more scritchy than the SOC.

2 180
 08-02-2012, 07:54 AM
User Info
(08-02-2012, 04:29 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I was expecting the Shavemac D01 recommendation. The Vie-Long silvertip is a bit surprising. Do you think their 3-band has enough backbone or are y'all referring to their 2-band? I think all of the Bullgoose Vie-Long badgers are 3-band silvertip.

What does surprise me the most is what's missing so far which I thought would be prevalent, the Simpsons 2-band super. Keep the recs coming guys. Thanks!

Unsure about the D01. Don't have one, but I cannot see them being stiffer than other options. They aren't constructed any differently than their regular line. They have more hair though.

The Simpsons 2 band that I have performs about the same as my Chubby which is why I didn't recommend it. Honestly, it really looks and feels like a darker version of a Chubby knot in super. Seriously, it does not look like regular 2 band hair. It's very thin in comparison to what I was expecting to see. Neither of which has any backbone compared to the brushes I sell. However, that's because there's a bump in the middle of the knot making the effective loft shorter than advertised.

9 2,988
 08-02-2012, 08:02 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-02-2012, 04:13 AM)Ecosse Wrote:
(08-01-2012, 08:41 PM)Teiste Wrote: I sometimes wonder whats on my mind when I answer a post....

Teiste, I might be asking an impossible question, but ignoring the density difference between the two brushes (SOC 2 band and Vie Long 2 band), how does the backbone of the hairs compare to one another?

The Vie long European White two band has more natural flexibility than the SOC two band hair.Much more?No,but enough noticeable and a better flow,I would say.But again,not by much,at least compared to my SOC two band,which was one of the first batches of the SOC.

I find both Vie Long two band and silvertip hair to be exceptional.

86 7,123
 08-02-2012, 08:30 AM
User Info
(08-02-2012, 07:54 AM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(08-02-2012, 04:29 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I was expecting the Shavemac D01 recommendation. The Vie-Long silvertip is a bit surprising. Do you think their 3-band has enough backbone or are y'all referring to their 2-band? I think all of the Bullgoose Vie-Long badgers are 3-band silvertip.

Unsure about the D01. Don't have one, but I cannot see them being stiffer than other options. They aren't constructed any differently than their regular line. They have more hair though.

The Simpsons 2 band that I have performs about the same as my Chubby which is why I didn't recommend it. Honestly, it really looks and feels like a darker version of a Chubby knot in super. Seriously, it does not look like regular 2 band hair. It's very thin in comparison to what I was expecting to see. Neither of which has any backbone compared to the brushes I sell. However, that's because there's a bump in the middle of the knot making the effective loft shorter than advertised.

There's no room for comparison between Shavemac's Silvertip and their D01 - different stiffness, density, and softness.

2 180
 08-02-2012, 08:46 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brian

Without breaking the bank, maybe look at New Forest Two Band Brush, I know I was pretty impressed with the couple of New Forest brushes I got to try in the recent pass around, see here...

New Forest Tubby 1 might make an excellent choice...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM
User Info
(08-02-2012, 08:46 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Brian

Without breaking the bank, maybe look at New Forest Two Band Brush, I know I was pretty impressed with the couple of New Forest brushes I got to try in the recent pass around, see here...

New Forest Tubby 1 might make an excellent choice...

Take care, Mike

Thanks Mike. I kick myself each time someone mentions New Forest because I'm sorry to say that I forget about this brand. Can you make a direct comparison between the Tubby 1 or 2 and the SOC with regards to softness of tips?

Cheers and thanks,
Brian

31 7,912
 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
That tubby looks great! Another one in my "must try" list. Shave my life! Angry

88 4,233
 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(08-02-2012, 09:19 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Thanks Mike. I kick myself each time someone mentions New Forest because I'm sorry to say that I forget about this brand. Can you make a direct comparison between the Tubby 1 or 2 and the SOC with regards to softness of tips?

Hi Brian

I'm sorry to say, I am going to be next to useless for you on that subject...

I've never owned or used a SOC shaving brush, and my only experience with New Forest shaving brushes occurred during the recent pass around: I honestly wish I could be more help here, but alas I'm pretty much useless...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-02-2012, 10:34 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(08-02-2012, 09:19 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Thanks Mike. I kick myself each time someone mentions New Forest because I'm sorry to say that I forget about this brand. Can you make a direct comparison between the Tubby 1 or 2 and the SOC with regards to softness of tips?

Hi Brian

I'm sorry to say, I am going to be next to useless for you on that subject...

I've never owned or used a SOC shaving brush, and my only experience with New Forest shaving brushes occurred during the recent pass around: I honestly wish I could be more help here, but alas I'm pretty much useless...

Take care, Mike

Are you serious,Mike?Those post are full of good info!You are pretty far from being useless,my friend.Thanks a lot!!!

86 7,123
 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(08-02-2012, 12:15 PM)Teiste Wrote: Are you serious,Mike?Those post are full of good info!You are pretty far from being useless,my friend.Thanks a lot!!!

Hi Teiste

Thank you for the kind (but undeserving) words Blush but I'm totally serious, seeing as I'm unable to directly answer Brian's question, "Can you make a direct comparison between the Tubby 1 or 2 and the SOC with regards to softness of tips?"

Take care, Mike

23 1,872