08-01-2012, 08:28 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
As the title says: how do you use your adjustable razor?

Do you dial it to one setting before you begin to shave and leave it there?

Do you always shave with it on the same setting?

Do you dial it up (more aggressive) with subsequent passes?

Or do you dial it down with subsequent passes?

Do you favor the aggressive side or the mild side of the razor?

Vintage or current?

43 1,690
 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
If I use a Slim, I start with 7-9 depends on how fat my beard is, dial it to 5 to finish up. Favor semi-aggressive razors.

88 4,233
 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
My '60 Fatboy is the greatest thing I have found so far. I keep it at a 3 and enjoy the smooth shave.

35 1,732
 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
I've gotten rid of all my adjustables except for a Schick injector razor. But I do the same thing with it that I always did with the others, which is using an aggressive setting for the WTG and XTG passes, and then dialing it down to a low to medium setting for the final ATG pass.

183 12,002
 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM
User Info
When i used to use one, i would usually leave it on the highest setting.

75 20,883
 08-01-2012, 09:35 PM
User Info
I used it initially to explore different razor aggressiveness and see what I liked best. I got to the magical 9 setting on the Slim and decided to just keep it there. Now it changes setting to exercise the mechanism and nothing more. The Fatboy is on 9 as well and stays there. That's it for my adjustables.

My buddy just worked his way up to magical 9 on the Slim I got for him and decided he loves it there as well. IMO, it's a great gateway razor for aggressive razors. Now I have a foot in the door to turn him on to aggressive razors since he discovered how much he likes them (and has the technique).

32 6,308
 08-02-2012, 03:18 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I used to have a Futur, and I eventually worked up to number 6 (the highest setting) where I left it for the whole shave. I don't know that this is what led me to use more aggressive razors, but I feel that it really honed my DE skills, allowing me to comfortably shave with most any razor.

My only adjustable right now is a Fatboy, which I keep dialed to 5 for the whole shave. I get a fantastic, easy, comfortable shave on this setting. But I wonder if I should try changing the setting during the shave?

In a few weeks I'll have a Mergress to play with.

43 1,690
 08-02-2012, 04:55 AM
User Info
I keep mine set to 9. When I first got it I had it at 6, then started playing around with higher numbers for first pass, then going to lower numbers for the 2nd and 3rd pass.

For me keeping it dialed in to 9 just works the best.

5 833
 08-02-2012, 05:24 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
I have both a Gillette Slim and a Super. When I started DE shaving I used my Super and started at 4 - 5 and gradually moved up to 9 and I haven't moved it. When I got my Slim I started at 9 and I'm staying at 9. But I have to say that this is a YMMV from the rest of us.
Biggrin

0 539
 08-02-2012, 06:08 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
On a Futur or Progress I start on a higher setting. The third pass I knock them down to a lower setting.

100 12,438
 08-02-2012, 06:27 AM
User Info
I find a setting that works for me and I leave it there. On rare occasions, I'll change the setting mid-shave, but that's very rare.

37 1,731
 08-02-2012, 08:16 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I picked up a fatboy recently, its my first adjustable and I am really enjoying it. I perfer mild razors in general and I set it to 4-5 and then leave it there for the shave. I would probably dial it down midshave if it turned out rough or something but it hasn't happened yet.

2 501
 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
User Info
i use my slim and BRW progress the same way.

1st 2 passes on a higher setting (6 for the slim)...WTG, XTG.

3rd pass i finish by dialing it down (5 for the slim)...ATG.

no touch ups needed, BBS every time.

works for me. when i go higher, i get too much redness and weepers.

8 2,718
 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM
User Info
I'm a set and forget guy.

Keeping things simple leads to a good shave everytime Smile

7 1,179
 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(08-01-2012, 08:28 PM)Andrew Wrote: how do you use your adjustable razor?
Hey Andrew, great question!, I use a Merkur Progress LH

Do you dial it to one setting before you begin to shave and leave it there?
- still new to the razor, so I have started on setting and left it there the whole (3-pass) shave, and other times I have changed it during the shave

Do you always shave with it on the same setting?
no

Do you dial it up (more aggressive) with subsequent passes?
- No, I have not tried this technique

Or do you dial it down with subsequent passes?
- Yes, I have used this technique (3-3-1, 3-2-1, 4-4-4, 5-5-5)

Do you favor the aggressive side or the mild side of the razor?
- undecided, my Progress LH seems to not only be a 5-4-3-2-1 (5 most aggressive) razor, but also has a *milder* side to shave with, but the blade doesn't look *off* while sitting in the head with the cap on... I need to check it a bit more, because it feels very noticeable when I am shaving. However, the bonus to me finding this out- I can flip my razor to which ever side I may need, like a *milder* touch on my upper-lip and lower-neck areas Biggrin

9 1,684
 08-02-2012, 01:32 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I've got a Super-Adjustable and 3 seems to be my magic number. Surprising, because I generally prefer more aggressive razors like GEM Micromatics and E-model Schick injectors... I've tried 4 and 5 and it just wasn't as comfortable.

0 911
 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM
User Info
Set and forget. Don't forget to adjust only with the silo doors open.

47 1,270
 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(08-02-2012, 06:27 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: I find a setting that works for me and I leave it there. On rare occasions, I'll change the setting mid-shave, but that's very rare.

If you change the setting, Yohann, do you dial it up or down?

43 1,690
 08-02-2012, 03:17 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I started using a Merkur Futur and found I want/have to adjust it. The skin on my face is uneven and my neck is even worse (scar tissue). I started DE shaving with a Merkur 34C. I added a Jagger Plaza. I like both razors, but getting a clean shave on my neck is very difficult. The beard on my neck grows in patches each with a different grain. I need three passes and a touch up to get a BBS.

As I said, these two razors are very difficult on my neck so I got the Futur as my first adjustable and I am very impressed with the results. As others have said, on 3 this razor is very similar to the other two. But set at 1 or 2 I can get my neck very clean w/o any nicks (or bad cuts on some days). I use a Feather blade with it which cuts just fine on the low settings. If you are not blessed with smooth skin or you need a very mild angel at times, I would highly recommend this razor to anyone new or a veteran of DE shaving.

I understand that, as expressed here and elsewhere, aggressive razors are more popular than very mild ones, but can anyone tell me what other non-adjustable DE razors are this mild?

16 542
 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(08-02-2012, 03:17 PM)matloffm Wrote: I understand that, as expressed here and elsewhere, aggressive razors are more popular than very mild ones, but can anyone tell me what other non-adjustable DE razors are this mild?

The Feather AS, Gillette Tech, and Wilkinson Sticky come to my mind.

43 1,690