08-09-2016, 06:21 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I used Cryogen tallow shave soap for the first time today. 

They describe it as:

Quote:This is not your average soap. This is Cryogen.  We put a ridiculous amount of menthol in here.  So much menthol, that no other scent could be added – the soap recipe just couldn’t take any more additives without breaking down. This will sting and make your eyes water.  It might even make your lips go numb. Some may say it is not even usable, but we like it. We believe this is the coldest soap on the market, but if it isn’t – someone out there is crazy…

At first, I didn't see what the big deal was.  It had a strong menthol scent and the lather was just average.  It had a tendency to aerate quickly.  But then the menthol kicked in and just kept building and building.  It got ridiculously strong.  I found myself speed shaving with a King Cobra and Feather Pro blade to get the stuff off.  LoL  But after rinsing, it produced such a nice cooling effect, I decided to relather for a second pass.  A bit more relaxed this time, it felt wonderful.  The cooling continued for about a half hour after the shave, then ended.  This is not the greatest soap performance wise, but was a fun roller-coaster ride! 

Definitely worth buying a sample and trying.

Cheers,
Eric

[Image: Chiseled-Face-Cryogen-Artisan-Shaving-Soap-1.jpg]

46 928
 08-12-2016, 07:14 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
A face-freezer indeed. However, I find that the Stirling Glacial soaps are now just as potently-mentholated, they lather easier, the skincare is superior, and they have nice scents whereas all you can smell from the Cryogen is menthol.

3 2,626
 08-12-2016, 08:08 AM
User Info
Did you follow it up with the Cryogen aftershave splash?

31 8,054
 08-12-2016, 12:30 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I used Cryogen the very next day and really liked it (the strength of the menthol, especially), although the performance was lackluster compared to their other soaps (I used "Sherlock" yesterday, which is more of a leathery scent and lathered much better).

I didn't use Cryogen aftershave.  Didn't know they had it!

I'm on a menthol kick and today tried Dr. Jon's Arctic Hydra.  Very mild menthol, but the scent was great as well as the soap performance.  I bought a full size tub and will use it more next week.

Eric

46 928
 08-13-2016, 04:58 AM
User Info
Try the Fine Snake Bite soap, very cold and  the performance of triple milled soap. The AS is also very nice no fragrance just super cold

0 80
 08-13-2016, 06:53 PM
User Info
Queen Charlotte soaps- Vostok is a very good menthol soap. It's strong but not so overly strong, just right... I actually paired it with Snake Bite menthol+alcohol AS and my face was on fire. I would like to try Cryogen just to see how cold it is.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

0 33
 08-13-2016, 08:00 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I used the last of my Cryogen today.  I got a better lather than before so I think the soap performamce will improve.  I had a real great shave.  I might spring for a full tub.

Eric

46 928
 08-13-2016, 10:24 PM
User Info
I loved that soap and the scent... but I just have a very difficult time shaving with my eyes closing on me. Had to sell it. Kept the aftershave though!

2 52
 08-18-2016, 07:31 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Guys, I broke down and bought a full tub of Cryogen as well as the Cryogen aftershave.  I used it this morning.  What an invigorating way to start the day!  Biggrin
Eric

46 928
 08-25-2016, 09:39 AM
User Info
I love Cryogen and every other Chiseled Face Groomatorium product I have used.  A shave with Cryogen soap followed up with the aftershave is refreshingly welcome at the end of a hot day.  Periodically, I like to mix Cryogen with other soaps to change things up a bit.  Last weekend, I mixed the Cryogen with Italian Barber Amici soap (a nice citrus fragrance) and thoroughly enjoyed the shave; with each successive pass the lather became colder.  I added the Amici aftershave atop the freezing cold Cryogen aftershave, and I finally understood folk's attraction to and enjoyment of citrus soaps and aftershaves with a lot of menthol.

Cryogen is medicinal, too!  Last weekend, my son was a bit under the weather with a stuffed up nose and an annoyingly incessant - for him and everyone else - cough.  After that Cryogen / Amici shave, I walked into the room where he was playing one of his favorite games and told him to lift his shirt.  No sooner than I hit him with about 3 sprays of Cryogen he recoiled and gasped like the Hammer of Thor hit him in the chest.  However, there was a hiatus in coughing and he said it did open up his nose.

0 55
 08-25-2016, 11:15 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Dabblin, that's funny.  I let my 4 and 6 year old kids smell my soaps and tell me which is their favorite.  They both like Cryogen the best!  LoL  They love mint and now I think menthol.  LoL.

I haven't tried mixing it with other soaps.  I'll have to try it out.  I wonder what Cryogen + Castle Forbes Lavender would be like...?!

Eric

46 928
 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Lately I've been boosting Castle Forbes Lavender with Cryogen.  It's AWESOME!!  You get the great performance of CF with the nice cooling effect of Cryogen, without going over the top.  I highly recommend it!

I've also mixed Cryogen with B&M Taiga (like walking through a pine forest in winter.. LoL), and SMN V3 with great results.

Eric

46 928
 12-06-2016, 11:20 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 10:57 AM)EricM Wrote: Lately I've been boosting Castle Forbes Lavender with Cryogen.  It's AWESOME!!  You get the great performance of CF with the nice cooling effect of Cryogen, without going over the top.  I highly recommend it!

I've also mixed Cryogen with B&M Taiga (like walking through a pine forest in winter.. LoL), and SMN V3 with great results.

Eric

How do you boost your mixed lathers?
Do you load the brush with Castle Forbes first, then Cryogen?

24 696
 12-06-2016, 12:28 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Lam, I have a scuttle and just scoop in an appropriate amount of CF and Cryogen, maybe 4/5 to 1/5 ratio respectively, then work into a lather before applying. Easy.

Eric

46 928
 12-06-2016, 03:14 PM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 12:28 PM)EricM Wrote: Lam, I have a scuttle and just scoop in an appropriate amount of CF and Cryogen, maybe 4/5 to 1/5 ratio respectively, then work into a lather before applying.  Easy.  

Eric

I see. Thanks! I might give this a try and mentholate some lathers.

24 696
 12-06-2016, 04:14 PM
User Info
Funny this should come up again at this point in time.  Last night I shaved with Cryogen / Amici blend and very much enjoyed the shave.  The lather and was so rich, creamy and cool I was almost disappointed when I finished with the third pass.  The BBS shave was wonderful.

0 55
 12-06-2016, 04:14 PM
User Info
Cryogen was the first and only soap I bought when I started wet shaving.  I just got off the kick of using Cremo Cooling Creme with my Fusion Cart and liked it so much, I decided to kick it up a notch and leaped to DE's.  Because I was a real green noob at the time, I did not want to spend too much to get started, so I only bought one soap with the rest of the gear.  I only used one foam/creme with my Fusion, so I figured one would be fine for DE shaving and if I loved the cooling sensation of Cremo, I would definitely love the extreme cold of Cryogen!  Well after the first shave I was blown away - by the cold and scent.  I quickly determined I needed some variety.  My water is very soft and good for lathering, so I never noticed any issue loading/lather right from the start.  Because of the good performance, I decided to round out my collection at the time with Sherlock & Ghost Town Barber.  All performed excellent for me.  Thus began my obsession with buying and trying different soaps, and down the rabbit hole I went!

Cryogen is great, but if I was to do it all over again, I would have looked for something with a more friendly scent to me.
Steve

0 438
 12-06-2016, 04:24 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Steve, that's crazy that you started out with Cryogen!!!  Tongue 24

46 928
 12-06-2016, 04:30 PM
User Info
(08-18-2016, 07:31 AM)EricM Wrote: Guys, I broke down and bought a full tub of Cryogen as well as the Cryogen aftershave.  I used it this morning.  What an invigorating way to start the day!  Biggrin
Eric

Eric,

Now you just need to revisit straight shaving to complete the experience.

6 1,248
 12-06-2016, 04:41 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Will, I was reading another thread where one new straight shaver was talking about the great shaves he's getting on his first few shaves.  I wish I had the same experience!  LoL.  I need to try again when I have more time on my hands!  Smile

Eric

46 928