08-02-2012, 03:00 AM
User Info
Just wondering, really.......

I've had several current Simpsons brushes, and they've all been great brushes.

I've also had several Somerset Simpsons brushes and here's what I can say about the ones that passed through my hands:

1) The Somerset handles have a glow that the current Simpsons brushes don't have (different rod stock?) - advantage Somerset
2) The modern Best Badger brushes are more densely packed, though the Somerset ones seem softer (probably due to the lower density) - Advantage modern
3) The Somerset 3-band Super brushes were just floppy. I've never tried the modern 3-band, but I love the modern 2-band (not the same thing, I know) - undetermined
4) I like the lamp-blacking on the Somerset ones, but that fades pretty rapidly

Anyway, just going by the Best Badger brushes, which are the only ones where I've compared the modern and Somerset brushes directly (same models) - I'd give the advantage to the modern Simpsons brushes - better density, better feel on the face, and better hair.

I know brushes are a very personal thing, and people are probably going to disagree with me on this, and also the Somerset brushes are now collectible, but for just plain usage, give me a modern Simpsons in Best or 2-band any day.

37 1,731
 08-02-2012, 04:29 AM
User Info
... and that kind of post makes the girls and guys here in the factory VERY happy.

Mark
Cool

(08-02-2012, 03:00 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Just wondering, really.......

I've also had several Somerset Simpsons brushes and here's what I can say about the ones that passed through my hands:

1) The Somerset handles have a glow that the current Simpsons brushes don't have (different rod stock?) - advantage Somerset
2) The modern Best Badger brushes are more densely packed, though the Somerset ones seem softer (probably due to the lower density) - Advantage modern
3) The Somerset 3-band Super brushes were just floppy. I've never tried the modern 3-band, but I love the modern 2-band (not the same thing, I know) - undetermined

Anyway, just going by the Best Badger brushes, which are the only ones where I've compared the modern and Somerset brushes directly (same models) - I'd give the advantage to the modern Simpsons brushes - better density, fetter feel on the face, and better hair.

I know brushes are a very personal thing, and people are probably going to disagree with me on this, and also the Somerset brushes are now collectible, but for just plain usage, give me a modern Simpsons in Best or 2-band any day.

1 630
 08-02-2012, 05:11 AM
User Info
I don't have enough of the current Simpsons to make a comparison. However, I've never had any three-band Super Somerset Simpsons that were floppy, and I've had many. The one that came the closest to being floppy was an Emperor. The length of the hair was too long in proportion to the knot size and density. It rather was too flexible for me, but not floppy.

Dave

(08-02-2012, 03:00 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Just wondering, really.......

Anyway, just going by the Best Badger brushes, which are the only ones where I've compared the modern and Somerset brushes directly (same models) - I'd give the advantage to the modern Simpsons brushes - better density, fetter feel on the face, and better hair.

0 21
 08-02-2012, 05:40 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Each to their own, but the modern Simpsons that I have are so good that I don't think I'd personally get any benefit chasing down a Somerset.

None-the-less, I'm glad that there are enthusiasts out there, making sure the Somersets are used & appreciated.

1 290
 08-02-2012, 06:14 AM
User Info
Dave -

I've only had three 3-band super Somerset Simpsons brushes - a T3, a CH2, and a PJ3. They were all floppy to me (this is a personal thing, of course). I found that they splayed too much on my face, and I generally didn't like them.

They were soft, though.

----------

I forgot to mention in my OP that I do have one butterscotch CH2 (Hoffritz branded) in best, and that one is absolutely amazing. I don't know what era that's from.

37 1,731
 08-02-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
Yohann,

I'd love to see a picture of your butterscotch CH2, unless it would be hijacking this thread or turning it off course.

Dave

(08-02-2012, 06:14 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Dave -

I've only had three 3-band super Somerset Simpsons brushes - a T3, a CH2, and a PJ3. They were all floppy to me (this is a personal thing, of course). I found that they splayed too much on my face, and I generally didn't like them.

They were soft, though.

----------

I forgot to mention in my OP that I do have one butterscotch CH2 (Hoffritz branded) in best, and that one is absolutely amazing. I don't know what era that's from.

0 21
 08-02-2012, 07:09 AM
User Info
Dave -

Here's a link to a thread with pics of the CH2 (Hoffritz): http://shavenook.com/thread-two-chubbies-in-best.

37 1,731
 08-02-2012, 07:39 AM
User Info
We all want what we cannot have.

9 2,988
 08-02-2012, 08:10 AM
User Info
That's a beauty! Thanks, Yohann.

Dave

(08-02-2012, 07:09 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Dave -

Here's a link to a thread with pics of the CH2 (Hoffritz): http://shavenook.com/thread-two-chubbies-in-best.

0 21
 08-02-2012, 08:16 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-02-2012, 07:39 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: We all want what we cannot have.

Yes,thats very true.And thinking that things from the past were better made (in some cases,totally true) and nostalgia.
I only had a Somerset Chubby 2 best badger two band,and it was floppy too...

[Image: P1220427.jpg]

But a Simpson Harvard H3 it was nothing short of a great brush :

[Image: P1230363.jpg]

Simpson current brushes are also superb brushes and this is why I have traded some things for a NIB Duke 3 last week.I couldn't go anymore without that brush!

86 7,123
 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM
User Info
You're absolutely right, the Somersets just don't measure up to the modern Simpsons. So please don't buy any Somersets....

183 12,002
 08-02-2012, 09:31 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Aren't some of the brushes made today from old rod stock? I see them on Jarrod's site. My fantastic KH3 is pinkish.

5 270
 08-02-2012, 09:35 AM
User Info
(08-02-2012, 09:14 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: You're absolutely right, the Somersets just don't measure up to the modern Simpsons. So please don't buy any Somersets....

... and sell all the Somersets you have for low prices, especially butterscotch CH2s with private branding.

Dave

0 21
 08-02-2012, 09:50 AM
User Info
(08-02-2012, 09:14 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: You're absolutely right, the Somersets just don't measure up to the modern Simpsons. So please don't buy any Somersets....

Ha! But seriously, John - why do you collect them so assiduously?

37 1,731
 08-02-2012, 09:54 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(08-02-2012, 05:11 AM)Dave T Wrote: /snip ... However, I've never had any three-band Super Somerset Simpsons that were floppy, and I've had many... /snip

Dave

I currently have a Somerset PJ2. Soft, but not floppy.

I had one previous to it - A full blown floppy mop.

So, my very limited experience is: 50-50.

47 1,378
 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
User Info
(08-02-2012, 09:50 AM)yohannrjm Wrote:

Ha! But seriously, John - why do you collect them so assiduously?

It's primarily because I like the history and tradition. I'm also a fan of Poirot, Churchill, Roger Bannister, and James Bond. But also, in my very limited experience with modern Simpsons, the Somerset era brushes have seemed to have more individual variation and "character." Each Somerset brush "speaks" to me when I use it, more so than the newer ones. In terms of floppiness, my experience with the Somersets has been that about 1 in 3 or 4 is too floppy - usually a butterscotch brush, for some reason.

183 12,002
 08-02-2012, 10:36 AM
User Info
Roger Bannister - one of my childhood heroes.....mostly because I ran the mile through college. I was pretty good, but never broke 4 mins. Biggrin

I do understand about liking history and tradition. And I do agree, the Somerset Simpsons handles look great.

37 1,731
 08-02-2012, 10:38 AM
User Info
Good info.

I have some vintage Simpsons in Pure (a Duke 3 and a 46 Berkeley) and I think they make up for some very good and effective brushes.

Maybe the stiffer pure badger hair in a way compensates for the floppiness?

0 641
 08-02-2012, 10:43 AM
User Info
That's a really high loft for what appears to be a small diameter knot in Teiste's first pic!

9 2,988
 08-02-2012, 10:45 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-02-2012, 10:43 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: That's a really high loft for what appears to be a small diameter knot in Teiste's first pic!

Yes,my friend,it was.The Loft was over 55 mm and the knot around 25 mm.It was floppy,I must say,not my cup of tea.

86 7,123