08-11-2016, 07:28 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
When I started wetshaving 8 years ago my first kismet was Mitchell's Wool Fat and remains so. That first puck saw 7 solid months of daily four pass shaves.
I remember it faded out toward the end, scent almost nonexistent as the sliver slowly vanished like the Chesire Cat only to reappear after I opened one of two additional refills. I almost regretted opening the neatly pleated packaging, so genteel it looked in my modest display. I've managed to finish off several soaps
in the following years but never kept true attention to actual livespan: My 'soap cellar' of the well regarded, unobtainable vintage now rivalling my neighbor who uses an electric shaver and keeps Trader Joe's cheapo Shaw's Wine in the trunk of his Mercedes and insists my humble assembly of $10-$20 selections carefully stored in my closet overpriced. Barbarian.
I am going to begin recording the total shaves and observations of any changes with a few other loved soaps. It would be interesting, but not vital to see how
they rate in the world of bean counting. I invite others to do same. $2.50 Merlots indeed.

2 3,171
 08-11-2016, 10:28 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-11-2016, 07:28 PM)kav Wrote: When I started wetshaving 8 years ago my first kismet was Mitchell's Wool Fat and remains so. That first puck saw 7 solid months of daily four pass shaves.
I remember it faded out toward the end, scent almost nonexistent as the sliver slowly vanished like the Chesire Cat only to reappear after I opened one of two additional refills. I almost regretted opening the neatly pleated packaging, so genteel it looked in my modest display. I've managed to finish off several soaps
in the following years but never kept true attention to actual livespan: My 'soap cellar' of the well regarded, unobtainable vintage now rivalling my neighbor who uses an electric shaver and keeps Trader Joe's cheapo Shaw's Wine in the trunk of his Mercedes and insists my humble assembly of  $10-$20 selections carefully stored in my closet overpriced. Barbarian.
I am going to begin recording the total shaves and observations of any changes with a few other loved soaps. It would be interesting, but not vital to see how
they rate in the world of bean counting. I invite others to do same. $2.50 Merlots indeed.

Yr obdnt srvnt has found little — probably no — correlation between the quality of the shave when prepping with the lather of long-lasting triple-milled soaps and the quality of the shave when prepping with the lather of soft and quickly depleted shaving soaps.

RazoRock XXX:  very soft, depletes quickly when a brush is applied to the surface, great scent.  From a performance standpoint, is it exceptional?  No.
Provence Santé Green Tea:  very hard, probably triple-milled, lasts a long time even when heavily brushed, great scent.  From a performance standpoint, well above average.
Haslinger Schafmilch:  mid-to-hard:  small puck lasts a relatively long time, mild scent.  From a performance standpoint, as good as it gets.

0 1,052
 08-11-2016, 11:49 PM
User Info
I've been tracking soap usage for a while now. I started when I would 3017 a sample but now I branched out and track weight after a week or two of continuous use. Something important to keep in mind if you're going to start monitoring weight is that water gets absorbed by the soap, especially the soft ones, so track the number of shaves but don't actually weigh it for about a week after you put it back on the shelf.

Fastest usage for me is Strop Shoppe and B&M Latha - which I use between 2-3x as fast as the regular B&M white label soap! Slowest usage is the triple milled, no surprise, DR Harris and Palmolive sticks, at 1g or less per shave (and those are not skimpy shaves either).

6 682
 08-12-2016, 02:39 AM
User Info
For me it seems SMN takes forever to deplete despite ferocious brush loading.

36 886
 08-12-2016, 08:23 AM
User Info
For me it's MdC. Now JUST started to get below the glass jars' rim. 

The density and instant explosion of lather is amazing. Just wish it was a bit more moisturizing.... Waiting to pair it with barrister's reserve lavender when it comes out.

18 642
 08-13-2016, 02:24 PM
User Info
Tabac, MdC and MWF takes a long time.

I notice RR soaps tend to run out quick.

I am on my 4th shave on my Haslinger Sheeps milk, looks like it will hold out longer than I expected. Good soap btw.

10 1,141
 08-13-2016, 06:01 PM
User Info
MWF
PDP
Irisch moos
La toja all lasted a good while for me.

60 1,410
 08-13-2016, 06:34 PM
User Info
Quadruple-milled Klar Seifen is the longevity king in my den.

38 1,159
 08-15-2016, 06:08 PM
User Info
MWF
Klar Seifen
MDC
DR Harris
Valobra Hard Puck/Czech & Speak (Valobra made)
Penhaligon hard pucks
TOBS hard pucks
SDM

24 5,849
 08-15-2016, 06:13 PM
User Info
(08-11-2016, 10:28 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: RazoRock XXX:  very soft, depletes quickly when a brush is applied to the surface, great scent.  From a performance standpoint, is it exceptional?  No.

I only use Razorock soaps for their scents. Not their performance. Typically apply a shaving tallow stick first before using the Razorock soap. It's that mediocre for me

24 5,849
 08-17-2016, 04:12 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
MWF, Valobra and AoS are very long lasting soaps in my den.

4 1,940
 08-17-2016, 09:17 PM
User Info
I haven't seen anyone mention Pre de Provence yet. Mine still looks like the letters have just been removed, that thing never seems to diminish!

Edit: and there is NO WAY I'm going to be chained to keeping track of how long it lasts lol

7 305
 09-02-2016, 06:33 PM
User Info
I started the practice of using up one at a time from start to finish in 2012. So far I've exhausted 35 soaps and creams. I have learned that I might have to leave one on hold while I take a break and use up something else. One big lesson I've learned from using them up is that my own perceptions change, and I've been known to just stop using one and either throw it out, sell it, or give it away if it suddenly starts to offend me in any way. I've managed to stockpile backups for the ones that are proven to be a long-term favorite. I've also sworn off ever using quite a few again, after suffering through a long lived soap. The most impressive result I've experienced was when I succeeded in using up an entire jar of MdC Fougere. It took exactly 100 days of loading the brush for 15 seconds every day. It became clear to me that I have any number of better soaps than MdC. Primarily, it simply is NOT slick, at least in my opinion, and that's one of my main requirements. Go figure. It took 77 days to use up a bowl full of Valobra stick soap (three sticks), and I am now quite burned out on the fragrance. Just thinking of it makes me want to gag. That's the way it goes. I have settled on about a dozen favorites that I will be happy to see coming up again and again.

24 1,208
 09-02-2016, 07:09 PM
User Info
(09-02-2016, 06:33 PM)brothers Wrote: I started the practice of using up one at a time from start to finish in 2012. So far I've exhausted 35 soaps and creams. I have learned that I might have to leave one on hold while I take a break and use up something else. One big lesson I've learned from using them up is that my own perceptions change, and I've been known to just stop using one and either throw it out, sell it, or give it away if it suddenly starts to offend me in any way. I've managed to stockpile backups for the ones that are proven to be a long-term favorite. I've also sworn off ever using quite a few again, after suffering through a long lived soap. The most impressive result I've experienced was when I succeeded in using up an entire jar of MdC Fougere. It took exactly 100 days of loading the brush for 15 seconds every day. It became clear to me that I have any number of better soaps than MdC. Primarily, it simply is NOT slick, at least in my opinion, and that's one of my main requirements. Go figure. It took 77 days to use up a bowl full of Valobra stick soap (three sticks), and I am now quite burned out on the fragrance. Just thinking of it makes me want to gag. That's the way it goes. I have settled on about a dozen favorites that I will be happy to see coming up again and again.

Amazing! I always say i'm going to 3017  a soap starting today but I lose my nerve and reach for something else. Closest I've ever come was a tub of Dapper Dragon soap which I was able to see the bottom of the tub of after about 30-35 shaves. The remaining ring of soap is still kicking; probably another 20-25 shaves in with no signs of it shrinking.

22 653
 09-03-2016, 08:35 AM
User Info
I have little sticky notes that I keep with my soaps.  Every time I shave with the soap, I make a mark.  So, I know exactly how many shaves I get from each and every soap I buy.  

The soap that has lasted the shortest number of shaves for me was B&M Latha.  32 to be exact.  Loved every shave, though.

2 1,397
 09-03-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
I like to use a lot of different soaps and actually prefer for them not to last an extremely long time.  That last, thin ring of soap around the edge of the tub seems to last forever.

48 5,727