08-12-2016, 07:46 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I recently purchased a slim and I have a couple of questions. Do I adjust it with the doors open or closed or does it matter? What is a good setting to start on? I use an Above The Tie M2 and a Wolfman OC. I sometimes add a shim to the Wolfman as well.

3 561
 08-12-2016, 07:53 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
You want to do the adjustment with the doors open. 

Personally, I don't even find '9' all that aggressive. But I would suggest you start at '7' and see how that treats you, that's generally where I use my Slim.

10 233
 08-12-2016, 07:59 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
As Andrew said, doors loose. I personally would start at 3 and work up until you find your own sweet spot. I like to keep my Slim on "6".

4 2,766
 08-12-2016, 10:09 AM
User Info
They say to adjust with the doors loose, but I don't know that Gillette ever actually advised that.  However, that's the way I do it. 

More importantly, make sure that you tighten the doors down that extra "quarter-turn" when loading a blade.  As you close the doors, there will come a point when it will tighten up pretty well; there's another quarter turn beyond that point that actually locks the blade in place.  You need to make sure you do that.  

In the event that you don't feel like that quarter-turn exists on your specimen, you need to soak it and clean it until it does.  

(Oh, and make sure the blade exposure is even on both sides and that the safety bar isn't bent.  Those are two common problems on Slims.)

2 1,461
 08-12-2016, 02:17 PM
User Info
Adjust with door closed to avoid putting torque on the blade. 

As to the setting, the idea is to use the lowest setting that provides the shave desired -- not the highest setting that your pain level will tolerate! Personally I use 5, but this varies from one guy to another. So start "somewhere" and go to a higher number if the shave is not close enough. If "somewhere" produces a good shave, go a step lower and see if you get an equally good shave while more comfortable.

16 350
 08-12-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
(08-12-2016, 02:17 PM)slackskin Wrote: Adjust with door closed to avoid putting torque on the blade. 

As to the setting, the idea is to use the lowest setting that provides the shave desired -- not the highest setting that your pain level will tolerate! Personally I use 5, but this varies from one guy to another. So start "somewhere" and go to a higher number if the shave is not close enough. If "somewhere" produces a good shave, go a step lower and see if you get an equally good shave while more comfortable.

Same here - I run all my Gillettes at 5 - it seems to work for me.

4 465
 08-12-2016, 02:24 PM
User Info
I got my slim a month ago and started on 5 because I felt that from there, I would know if I would need a higher or lower setting. I prefer mine on 6 and 7 and since I started on 5, I immediately knew I would want to crank it up rather than down. Whatever you choose, enjoy it!

0 7
 08-13-2016, 03:47 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I'm glad you guys are posting this. I have just taken possession of a couple of Slims and a Fat Boy. It's good to know these things as I start down the adjustable trail.

61 507
 08-13-2016, 04:37 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(08-12-2016, 02:17 PM)slackskin Wrote: Adjust with door closed to avoid putting torque on the blade. 

I definitely don't want any pain involved.  I just want it high enough that I can feel the blade.  I find that it helps me focus on my technique.

3 561
 08-13-2016, 04:38 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(08-12-2016, 07:53 AM)Viking Wrote: You want to do the adjustment with the doors open. 

Personally, I don't even find '9' all that aggressive. But I would suggest you start at '7' and see how that treats you, that's generally where I use my Slim.

I would think a 9 would be aggressive.  Is there a razor you would compare it to on that setting?

3 561
 08-13-2016, 04:43 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(08-13-2016, 04:38 AM)DayMan Wrote:
(08-12-2016, 07:53 AM)Viking Wrote: You want to do the adjustment with the doors open. 

I would think a 9 would be aggressive.  Is there a razor you would compare it to on that setting?
Nothing I can directly compare that setting with but I can say that an Ikon tech or R41 seem, to me, much more aggressive than a Slim set to 9.

10 233
 08-14-2016, 04:22 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find adjusting with doors closed - including with the quarter-turn - makes no difference and doesn't hurt the machine in the slightest. Been doing it for years. It's a simpler operation, too.

0 1,774
 08-15-2016, 03:23 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I just had my first shave with my new Slim adjustable. I too like my ATT S1, M2, R1. I started on setting 5. It was decent, but too mild. I then switched to 7. It was close, but smooth. I loved it on seven. I was using a Personna Med Prep. I love this razor.

61 507
 08-15-2016, 08:27 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I listened to everyone's advice, then completely ignored it. I only had time for a 1 pass shave yesterday so I just went straight to 9. It really wasn't that aggressive. I didn't have any irritation. I don't think I would use it on my normal 2 pass routine, but it was perfect for a quick 1 pad shave

3 561
 09-16-2016, 01:10 PM
User Info
I have always heard and done; any adjustment with the tension removed. Due to the base plate putting pressure on top and may damage the adjuster. I prefer my Fat boy over my Slim it's not the shave  quality just the feel in the hand.

0 596