08-12-2016, 01:19 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
A few days ago, I ordered the well-known Barbicide. I had a discussion with my barber the other day and recommended me this product as a sanitizer. I know that many shavers use it to sanitize and clean their vintage findings. I have kept a couple of vintage razors plus I am waiting for another two from an auction on Ebay. I thought it would be a good idea to order a bottle of this.

Can anyone tell me how to use it properly without damaging the razors?

Also, what if a razor, Autostrop VC2, has a gold plating? Would that be a problem? I am asking because I read somewhere that it's not recommended for razors that are gold plated.

I read that many gentlemen use the Scrubbing Bubbles but I can't find it here.

Any advice is welcome.

49 1,939
 08-12-2016, 02:14 PM
User Info
I have used barbacide many times to disinfect my vintage razors. The directions tell you to mix 2oz of barbacide to 32oz of water, so your bottle of barbacide should last a while. After cleaning your razor of all soap scum, etc, with a toothbrush, leave it in the solution for 10 minutes and take it out and let it air dry. Then, I like to give it one last rinse in soap and water. As for gold plating, I have never used it on a gold plated razor as my only one is a replated Gillette New LC. I hope this helped, and enjoy your new razors. Smile

0 7
 08-12-2016, 02:21 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
So, 10 minutes is enough time.

Thanks for the info! It helped me a lot!

49 1,939
 08-13-2016, 06:41 AM
User Info
Another way and it may be less expensive is to use white distilled vinegar (5% acidity)  When I get a build up on my ATT I use a bowl that holds about 8 oz of water.  I put warm water in it with about a teaspoon (measuring spoon) of vinegar and soak the object and then use a stiff toothbrush or hand brush to clean off any remaining residue.  Vinegar can also be used to run through and clean you coffee maker, washing machine, and calcium build up on shower heads and faucets.  In addition, you can put the vinegar on you salad and eat it because it is not toxic.  A gallon costs around $4.50.  I would be careful brushing a gold plated razor.  A couple of years ago I purchased a George Trumper gold Warwick razor and in less than a year the gold plating began to wear off.  Not peal but wear.  The gold is put on after the razor is chrome plated and it does not form a great bond.

I don't know if you can make out the wear on the bottom handle.

[Image: aUJ5l36.jpg]

0 235
 08-13-2016, 02:43 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Another very helpful post. Thank you!

49 1,939
 11-12-2016, 10:16 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I sterilized some vintage Gillettes with Barbicide yesterday.

I read a thread a while ago that Barbicide might cause damage to gold plated razors.

About the question I had in my first post, I now have the answer.

If you leave any razor in Barbicide for about 10 minutes, that won't cause any damage.

After the disinfection, you have to rinse the razor very good and clean it again to be sure that Barbicide has been removed.

49 1,939
 11-12-2016, 12:43 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I have left a gold-plated aristocrat in my barbicide jar overnight (by accident) and had no problems.
Vinegar can be very caustic at full strength and damage some platings (especially nickel).
A great resource:  http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_razor_maintenance

47 1,901
 11-12-2016, 02:26 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I've never used vinegar as a cleanser for my vintage razors. Zamak razor users should never use it. It can destroy their razors.

Instead of Brasso, I use the Silvo to polish my vintage findings. I believe it's a safer option. It works like magic.

49 1,939
 11-12-2016, 04:47 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Vinegar can clean soap scup, but it won't sterilize razors like Barbicide. I generally clean scum with a brush cleaner, designed to clean soap scum in brushes, only I also use it on razors. L&L is now selling one in addition to his shave soaps. I always use Barbicide when I receive a vintage or used razor, or before selling one.

38 5,031
 11-15-2016, 02:20 PM
User Info
(11-12-2016, 04:47 PM)evnpar Wrote: Vinegar can clean soap scup, but it won't sterilize razors like Barbicide. I generally clean scum with a brush cleaner, designed to clean soap scum in brushes, only I also use it on razors. L&L is now selling one in addition to his shave soaps. I always use Barbicide when I receive a vintage or used razor, or before selling one.

I agree vinegar does not sterilize anything.  I don't know the cost of Barbicide but would alcohol be safe to sterilize your on older razors?

0 235
 11-16-2016, 04:22 PM
User Info
I always used Dawn and then wiped the razor with 99% alcohol

0 170