08-13-2016, 05:06 AM
User Info
Well it seems I missed the chance to get a nice Rooney with heritage hair, a nice Morris and Forndran, a nice Wiborg, and potentially a nice Varlet when they were more plentiful. I came into the hobby late, starting in January of last year. Day late and a dollar short on everything although I'd happily buy any of those brushes if they were readily available.

Do any of you see the next Wiborg or the next Morris and Forndran out there right now as far as an up and coming brush maker that one could easily obtain a brush from? For once I'd like to get in on the ground floor of something before they get so busy they either disappear or have a year long waiting list. 

What have you guys found? Who turns great brushes and has some really nice hair? Shavemac seems to be the only brush maker I can count on. Any other new brush makers out there that are innovating and making some nice luxury brushes? Diamonds in the rough?

1 468
 08-13-2016, 05:37 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I would recommend Bob at Eliterazor (he has been around for awhile with a great reputation and is a pleasure to work with)1- He has added/expanded his business with an Excellent knot (good consistency over the last few knot orders, I like his 2 band fan) 2- he custom makes beautiful handles in different materials and 3- they are readly available, no list or long waiting time unless he is waiting for a knot order to arrive.

51 435
 08-13-2016, 05:47 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
For some reason Shavemac is rarely thought of in this light, but Bernd's work is exemplary. Both his handles and knots are flawless, and he has an excellent selection of both, not to mention full customization upon request.

I guess if he stops making brushes (or slows down significantly), perhaps their limited availability will then put them in the unobtanium "man they were phenomenonal" category...although Bernd is not really "on the horizon," he's been at it a while Biggrin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 1,628
 08-13-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
(08-13-2016, 05:37 AM)bijou Wrote: I would recommend Bob at Eliterazor (he has been around for awhile with a great reputation and is a pleasure to work with)1- He has added/expanded his business with an Excellent knot (good consistency over the last few knot orders, I like his 2 band fan) 2- he custom makes beautiful handles in different materials and 3- they are readly available, no list or long waiting time unless he is waiting for a knot order to arrive.

It's funny you say that because I've got him working on something for me right now with his new knots. I am very anxious to try out these badger knots because I've heard nothing but good things.

@Giorgio I hear you on Shavemac. I've got a good bit of money saved and if I cannot acquire more of the Varlet, Morris and Forndran and possibly a Wiborg soon, I will probably order two or three more Shavemacs and along with my favorite 2-bands I might even go nuts and try a D01 three band. So far I've experienced nothing but quality, communication and luxury from Shavemac.

1 468
 08-13-2016, 06:13 AM
User Info
shavemac makes great brushes.  follow the reviews and just who praises his work.  top notch notchers.  I have read he make the handles for Thaders.  One of my favorite brushes is a shavemac Americana Xl Geoff Anderson 32mm.  any brush is a preference and you can always sell or pif it and try another.

73 1,296
 08-13-2016, 06:17 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Shavemacs are great great I like their 2 band not D01

Brad Sears also makes some very nice brushes. 

You did not mention Paladin but those are worth checking out though you have to be fast.

7 450
 08-13-2016, 06:24 AM
User Info
(08-13-2016, 06:17 AM)jtmke Wrote: Shavemacs are great great I like their 2 band not D01

Brad Sears also makes some very nice brushes. 

You did not mention Paladin but those are worth checking out though you have to be fast.

Paladins are something I meant to mention. As I go back in history of forums they were easier to acquire and of course the popularity grew epically and now borderline scarce. It seems the same people always turn up with more of them when the short sale of brushes becomes available and I'm always on the outside looking in. They seem nice though but are they on the horizon? I don't think so because he sells out of them in mere minutes of releasing them every few months because he is already well established. Can't seem to get one.

I'm more interested in if there are unknown or newly minted Paladin type brush makers out there that aren't as busy. Seems a couple have been mentioned here so I'll have to look into them. Any others ?

1 468
 08-13-2016, 06:34 AM
User Info
I wanted to add an additional bit of info to this thread. No disrespect to Wolf Whiskers or Nathan Clark but there is just something different when you look at a Morris and Forndran, Wiborg, Paladin, Varlet brush don't you think? I don't know if it's the designs, the inscriptions/engraving, the types of colors and handle designs but there is just something about the Paladins and these types of brushes that put them in a different realm. Morris and Forndrans just look so aesthetically pleasing and so do the Varlets. Although I can appreciate a wolf whiskers brush I just don't have the same feeling looking at one as I do a Paladin/Varlet/M&F etc. does that make sense?

1 468
 08-13-2016, 06:50 AM
User Info
ShaveMac has been around for some time now so you would not be getting in on the ground floor but Bernard's brush creations are incredible.  Five of my twelve brushes are ShaveMacs; both silvertip 2 band and silvertip D01 2 band all fan shape.  He is great for advice and you can get a brush in about two weeks or less.

0 253
 08-13-2016, 06:51 AM
User Info
Granted I continue to frequent the forum in a couple years, but you can expect in the not so near future to see some posts detailing my exploration of making badger knots. Really looking forward to obtaining a few batches of hair and seeing what the quality is like, doing the sorting, experimenting with cleaning and coming up with some designs for myself. Not sure that it will ever become a business adventure but it will definitely require a lot of time and investment. Right now, Im wanting to put together a nice, soft, dense, 3 band silvertip, fan shape knot. I also have really enjoyed a few 2 band finest fan shaped knots so that is another design to come up with.

79 1,338
 08-13-2016, 07:09 AM
User Info
Buy what appeals to you.

It you like it and think it's great it is.

I don't think I understand the race to get in early on a brand that will be universally praised at a later date. Is there a trophy or award besides being able to say I had one of the early ones and liked it before it was popular and discussed by the hoi polloi?

There's numerous unique brush makers on Etsy and eBay and reddit. How many of them have their own proprietary knot? I think that's the differentiater that is exciting. Varlet is the only one I know that is recently offering brushes unique from end to end that you are sure cannot be had from anywhere else. 

There's lots of great people making handles and putting other people's knots in them. Not too many small batch places doing what Shavemac does. 

I understand that some are offering fantastic knots that aren't necessarily off the shelf. At the end of the day I have to wonder how long it will be before the competition figures out the source of the latest got to have knots and places their own order in bulk. 

Regardless there's always going to be discussion of batches in every brand. Generation this or version that. The nature of the item is inescapable in this regard. Until someone isolates the perfect kind of knot by grade and clones the individual badger it was made from, each and every brush will continue to be unique. We may be able to say we have a batch 2 generation 1 version 3 from brand X but it will still be different than the one that was made immediately before and after it. 

I prefer to appreciate what I have and buy what appeals to me without the anxiety of over analyzing things to death. Too much of a good thing takes the wind out of my sails. Analysis is a good thing. Paralysis by analysis is a real thing though. We can be missing the next great thing right now while we're discussing it.

9 1,411
 08-13-2016, 09:01 AM
User Info
(08-13-2016, 07:09 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: Buy what appeals to you.

It you like it and think it's great it is.

I don't think I understand the race to get in early on a brand that will be universally praised at a later date. Is there a trophy or award besides being able to say I had one of the early ones and liked it before it was popular and discussed by the hoi polloi?

There's numerous unique brush makers on Etsy and eBay and reddit. How many of them have their own proprietary knot? I think that's the differentiater that is exciting. Varlet is the only one I know that is recently offering brushes unique from end to end that you are sure cannot be had from anywhere else. 

There's lots of great people making handles and putting other people's knots in them. Not too many small batch places doing what Shavemac does. 

I understand that some are offering fantastic knots that aren't necessarily off the shelf. At the end of the day I have to wonder how long it will be before the competition figures out the source of the latest got to have knots and places their own order in bulk. 

Regardless there's always going to be discussion of batches in every brand. Generation this or version that. The nature of the item is inescapable in this regard. Until someone isolates the perfect kind of knot by grade and clones the individual badger it was made from, each and every brush will continue to be unique. We may be able to say we have a batch 2 generation 1 version 3 from brand X but it will still be different than the one that was made immediately before and after it. 

I prefer to appreciate what I have and buy what appeals to me without the anxiety of over analyzing things to death. Too much of a good thing takes the wind out of my sails. Analysis is a good thing. Paralysis by analysis is a real thing though. We can be missing the next great thing right now while we're discussing it.

This is a good post. 

Let me try to clarify what I'm getting at with this thread. I'm not trying to find a brush maker before they are famous so that I can have a trophy. I'm trying to find a brush maker before they are exclusive so that I can just have One of their brushes at all. The point of this thread was to find out if I'm missing out or if there is an under the radar artisan making brushes of the quality of a Paladin, Morris and Forndran, etc. so that I can purchase something before its near impossible or worse gone for good.

1 468
 08-13-2016, 09:18 AM
User Info
Yeah.

I get it now. 

I heard Stirling's badger is amazing. I missed the boat there on the first offering. Looks sold out.

Hard to tell with the Etsy and reddit brush makers what knots they're using without asking each one. I am not aware of any that are using ones from anywhere that you can't buy from directly yourself like TGN, Envy Shave, or V. Sheng etc. Unique handles seems to be the driving force in the start up tier. I would imagine that it would take significant capital and risk to get something not off the shelf through the pipeline and off the ground. Especially when the vast majority of the badger hair is coming from China either pre-made into knots of pre-sorted by grade loose.

There can't be that many different options on the supply side without having boots on the ground to shop around for yourself. Probably brokers and middle men abound.

9 1,411
 08-13-2016, 09:37 AM
User Info
(08-13-2016, 06:51 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Granted I continue to frequent the forum in a couple years, but you can expect in the not so near future to see some posts detailing my exploration of making badger knots. Really looking forward to obtaining a few batches of hair and seeing what the quality is like, doing the sorting, experimenting with cleaning and coming up with some designs for myself. Not sure that it will ever become a business adventure but it will definitely require a lot of time and investment. Right now, Im wanting to put together a nice, soft, dense, 3 band silvertip, fan shape knot. I also have really enjoyed a few 2 band finest fan shaped knots so that is another design to come up with.
I would definitely appreciate you keeping us posted. I'm quite the fan of finest and 2-band badgers. I definitely like your enthusiasm and passion to innovate.

1 468
 08-13-2016, 10:13 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Brushes and Razors have been elevated by the resurgence in wetshaving. I know few people who 'got in on the ground floor', which, in the UK is the basement and if the 13 floor is skipped in more than a few classic buildings you are now lost. We simply see a growing demand with a limited production capacity. If you truly want something PATIENCE is your friend. As the sadly neglected phrase goes " It's your face, not a race". Keep your eye on the maker's and be ready when the chance comes. It has to come for somebody, why not you?

2 3,171
 08-13-2016, 10:18 AM
User Info
(08-13-2016, 10:13 AM)kav Wrote: Brushes and Razors have been elevated by the resurgence in wetshaving. I know few people who 'got in on the ground floor', which, in the UK is the basement and if the 13 floor is skipped in more than a few classic buildings you are now lost. We simply see a growing demand with a limited production capacity. If you truly want something PATIENCE is your friend. As the sadly neglected phrase goes " It's your face, not a race". Keep your eye on the maker's  and be ready when the chance comes. It has to come for somebody, why not you?

This is a good take you're absolutely right.

1 468
 08-13-2016, 01:36 PM
User Info
I have owned all of the brushes you have mentioned ( many of each example ) I will never chase shaving gear again. I used to spend so much time emailing and checking for brush sales. I found that I was not enjoying the brushes as much as I felt the need to find them. Shavemac makes brushes that are equal in performance to all brushes mentioned and there is no need to chase these brushes around , they are readily available.

60 1,530
 08-13-2016, 03:47 PM
User Info
As far as a diamond in the rough , if your looking for style and knot performance have a look at Saponificio Verisino , Rod Neep , Rudy Vey , Mastro Livi. If your looking for flat out performance there are many that may not be on the same style scale but perform very well. I myself shave exclusively with a semogue at the moment that I feel outperforms every brush I have ever owned ( counting all factors ). My 1305 has the truest fan knot I have ever owned, with flow that rivals any brush I have owned. It gets softer every month that goes by where my badgers ever so slightly lost that magic feel they came with. The wood handles are incredible for any price point. Shave revolution had a manchurian knot in a decent handle I picked up and honestly it was in the same league as my M&F brushes based on knot performance. The envy knots are the same way , huge value.

60 1,530
 08-13-2016, 03:51 PM
User Info
I didn't mention Thater and Savile Row as to me they are similar to shave Mac but they are equally impressive and should be considered all depends on what knot specifications you look for.

60 1,530
 08-13-2016, 04:33 PM
User Info
(08-13-2016, 03:51 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: I didn't mention Thater and Savile Row as to me they are similar to shave Mac but they are equally impressive and should be considered all depends on what knot specifications you look for.

I will look into your ideas in your other post as far as Rod Neep and SV, etc. 

I will take your and kav's advice about smelling the roses. An incredible forumer and gentleman helped me get my first Morris and Forndran so that's cool as well. I will keep my eyes and ears open who knows maybe I'll get that Varlet/Wiborg/paladin too and whatever comes next.

I keep hearing about Brad Sears along with Bob Quinn so maybe I'll chat up Sears.

1 468