08-13-2016, 04:02 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
There has been little discussion of soaps from Germany/Austria ( Trivia source of my title) lately. I am kicking off a thread about them. My knowledge and experience is hardly exaustive. Please, add to it or correct. I will merely make a inititial list with observations and information. If creme users will kindly input too? My computer is kaput again, so please add graphics-
give credit when due.

Tabac: I am ashamed to confesss I have yet to try it. it has received high praise in the past.

Haslinger: founded in 1949 Vienna by chemist Georg Haslinger after buying a soap company in operation since 1890 with 10 available scents and formulations. You people mention it, tell us more. Another uncharted adventure on my part.

Dittmars/ Gold Dachs: I have heard, anecdotally these are produced by the same company? GD is made in 4 scents. It has a reputation for irritating some shavers. It has a HIGH PH that makes whiskers stand up straight like a Wermacht parade singing Erika. If you tarry after lathering it dries quickly and causes mischief. Dittmars is the answer to those complaints. It has been
rigorously stripped of uneccessary ingredients. it was my first Palm Soap after MWF. It is a WATER HUNGRY soap and without care you can collapse lather with to much trying to add enough.
It is hard to find in the Western Hemisphere; a complaint for many german soaps. BULLGOOSE carried it and it was a slow seller. It's qualities are it's undoing. With the scent craze it's
Oatmeal blandness is a tough sell without a rich rotation.

Klars: I refer here to the small round tins with Polar bear ( Knute)? I had a tin that seemed to last forevor until it didn't. It was a great soap and I understand there are multiple scents?

Klars Kabinette/Dusy: discontinued but popular ( another marketting mystery) these two versions of a rose scented barber's soap are worth mentioning for we lucky few with some at hand.
my bar of Dusy gives excellent shaves no doubt enhanced by the intoxication of smelling like a rose.

Zartgefuhl: I need an umlat over the U and I need to try this. Imported by THE SUPERIOR SHAVE in Florida. Users break into leider over it's post shave qualities after qualifying it's utter impossibility to build lather beyond a thin paint that still gives a superior shave. The first ingredient is shared by an english soap we all lament having the same flaw.

So, there's a start and I eagerly await input. I am going to have a Warsteiner, my favourite beer based solely on the circumstances of discovering it. When you shave with german products, don't forget to say danke' to the Lorelie lest she draw blood.

2 3,171
 08-13-2016, 07:31 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Meissner Tremonia. 

I like their Dark Limes. Can be tricky to lather but it's slick and protective. It's also my favorite Lime scent. 

I haven't tried:
Spiek 
Tabula Rasa
Calani

169 1,425
 08-14-2016, 03:37 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Don't forget about Speick! If they offered the shave sticks in puck form and with a ceramic bowl, it would fly off the shelf.

Klar is a very good shaving soap. I preferred the tins to the Kabinett soap.

46 18,642
 08-14-2016, 04:05 PM
User Info
Isn't Esbjerg Austrian? Performance is nice but the Grapefruit scent is too artificial for my liking.

2 336
 08-14-2016, 05:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-14-2016, 04:05 PM)Pfirnett Wrote: Isn't Esbjerg Austrian? Performance is nice but the Grapefruit scent is too artificial for my liking.

It is indeed.

46 18,642
 08-14-2016, 06:12 PM
User Info
Is Calani German?  I dearly love their Tulach Ard.

16 252
 08-14-2016, 07:12 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Klar Seifen is one of my Tier One soaps. I don't mind grating it into larger containers. There are only three scents, but the performance is hard to beat. I still have an unopened Klar Kabininett. I love the rose scent, but find the performance below Klar Seifen. 

Tabac is also a top performer. I don't mind the scent, but it is polarizing. 

I always get an outstanding shave from Tabula Rasa. I love the scent of Steam Punk, but the others are meh, or I'd use it frequently. 

I enjoy Speik now and then, especially the aftershave. I grate the stick into a wide-mouthed container. It lathers easily and provides an excellent shave. 

I have enjoyed many of the scents of Calani, but find the performance average. Unfortunately, she's not shipping to the US any longer. 

Meißner Tremonia: I really enjoy several of their unusual scents, only I can't get it to lather the way I'd like to, although I do get a decent shave. 

Esbjerg is a cream that is hard to beat. Outstanding performance. 

Haslinger: it certainly has a following. Although it usually performs fairly well, I don't care for the scents or performance well enough to continue to use it. 

I haven't tried Gold Dachs.

Bottom line: I would't have any trouble just shaving with German soaps as many of them are outstanding.

38 5,201
 08-14-2016, 07:47 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-14-2016, 07:12 PM)evnpar Wrote: Klar Seifen is one of my Tier One soaps. I don't mind grating it into larger containers. There are only three scents, but the performance is hard to beat. I still have an unopened Klar Kabininett. I love the rose scent, but find the performance below Klar Seifen. 

Tabac is also a top performer. I don't mind the scent, but it is polarizing. 

I always get an outstanding shave from Tabula Rasa. I love the scent of Steam Punk, but the others are meh, or I'd use it frequently. 

I enjoy Speik now and then, especially the aftershave. I grate the stick into a wide-mouthed container. It lathers easily and provides an excellent shave. 

I have enjoyed many of the scents of Calani, but find the performance average. Unfortunately, she's not shipping to the US any longer. 

Meißner Tremonia: I really enjoy several of their unusual scents, only I can't get it to lather the way I'd like to, although I do get a decent shave. 

Esbjerg is a cream that is hard to beat. Outstanding performance. 

Haslinger: it certainly has a following. Although it usually performs fairly well, I don't care for the scents or performance well enough to continue to use it. 

I haven't tried Gold Dachs.

Bottom line: I would't have any trouble just shaving with German soaps as many of them are outstanding.

I agree regarding the Haslinger scents. For some reason, the Haslinger scents set off a sneezing fit in me. It was so bad, I had to stop carrying the brand.

46 18,642
 08-15-2016, 07:20 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Richard, I received a bar of the Dusy from Primotenor ( Joseph) and love it. Objectively the performance MAY be less than the other german soaps in my collection, but for once scent has the intoxicating effect to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the ride. I have had three exemplary shaving EXPERIENCES and
have my unicorn net out if either version ever appears on the market. Is it just me? I keep saying HASH slinger with images of a short order cook.

2 3,171
 08-15-2016, 11:32 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-14-2016, 07:47 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 07:12 PM)evnpar Wrote: Esbjerg is a cream that is hard to beat. Outstanding performance. 

I agree regarding the Haslinger scents. For some reason, the Haslinger scents set off a sneezing fit in me. It was so bad, I had to stop carrying the brand.

Agree, I find them to be "bad" scents too. I also don't find the scents to be lightly done, as I usually see written about them. I think they're very cloying and don't wash off well.

I might have to try Klar Seiffen again, I did have the Klassic a couple years ago but didn't find the performance very noteworthy. Things change though.

62 3,014
 08-15-2016, 12:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Klar comes in a small travel tin that some people find impossible to use. I simply used an equally diminutive travel brush. I understand they have expanded to four scents?
The refills can be grated into a larger container. I liked the performance and it's another hard milled soap with excellent shelf life. I rotated it heavily to avoid the 'oatmeal effect' shared by Dittmars. Finding the scents will be fun, though I doubt any will match up to ALT INNSBRUK. that, would be Wunderbar und zer gut!

2 3,171
 08-15-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
I'm all in on Speick. Outstanding performance for both the shave stick and aftershave, and the best lavender scent I've tried (second to Puig Agua Lavanda).

16 1,027
 08-15-2016, 01:57 PM
User Info
(08-14-2016, 06:12 PM)explodyii Wrote: Is Calani German?  I dearly love their Tulach Ard.

yes calani is german as is olivia's soaps.  never tried either, although i did go thru some calani samples that i didn't care for.  the scents seemed weak and the performance just ok.

1 34
 08-17-2016, 01:28 PM
User Info
I was in Vienna recently and although I never made it to the Haslinger factory, the offer had been extended when I reached out to determine where I could experience the scents and purchase. I thought it was cool that I could find the shaving pucks at Douglas, which was a local makeup and skin care store, along with some TOBS, in the small men's section of a large two-story shop on Kärntner Straße.

The performance of the soap is excellent, especially in the Viennese water which is softer than mine. I don't like all the scents, as most are of a floral nature, but they are not very strong. I think my favorite is Sandalwood. Schafmilch, meanwhile, has a better post-shave feel but I don't like the scent at all.

The other one on your list that I tried is Tabac. It performs excellent in my hard water at home, but the scent is more like mothballs or an older woman's perfume, rather than anything I want to smell. And it is very strong. I left the soap out uncovered for two weeks before using it in the guest bathroom and it served as a potpourri. But after 5 shaves it came back, so I sold it this week on the B/S/T.

6 806
 08-17-2016, 01:46 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I was on EBAY and a party in Poland is selling NOS of WW2 german shaving soap. I may hold several affectations. But no thank you! I have this recurring nightmare of Civil War reenactors, Society for Creative Anachronism, Wiccan Coven, Biker Gang , COSPLAY and Steampunks showing up at an overbooked venue or park and having it out. God pity the bikers.

2 3,171
 08-18-2016, 06:12 AM
User Info
(08-15-2016, 01:06 PM)crazindndude Wrote: I'm all in on Speick. Outstanding performance for both the shave stick and aftershave, and the best lavender scent I've tried (second to Puig Agua Lavanda).

Couldn't agree more on Speick. I'm allergic to peanuts, and Haslinger (which contains peanut oil) dries my skin out. I'd love to try Esbjerg, Klar Seifen, and Meisner Tremonia. The scent description of Tabac doesn't appeal to me, but but I would have loved Irisch Moos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 293
 08-19-2016, 04:07 AM
User Info
Hello Guys, 
since i am from germany, i might have a good view on this topic  Biggrin
My favorites (germany and austria)
1. Tabac (best soaps in my view, the scent grew on me fast)
2. Haslinger (all of them easy to lather and good post shave feeling)
3. meissner tremonia (great scents, not the easiest lather)

Haven't tried Olivia's or Calani but i will try when the wife is in a good mood Dodgy

0 8