Poll: How many shaves before Feather Blades Degrade?
 08-15-2016, 09:17 AM
User Info
This is my first post.  Let me just say this is a great resource.

I'm an avid wet shaver after discovering it 9 months ago.

For months I've maintained a routine whereby I changed Feather blades in my DE razor once a week (after 7 daily shaves).  However, as my technique has improved I've realized that I needed more passes to get a "good" shave as the week progresses.  And even with more passes the end result was still rough and had more alum block burn.  I have realized that 2-3 shaves is the max before I notice a degradation in shave quality.  This degradation isn't dramatic (no pulling, tugging or cuts) which is perhaps why I didn't notice for so long.  In fact the degradation is so slight that if my technique wasn't better I simply didn't notice it.

I used to balk when people have said their Feather blades last them only one shave.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if over time as my technique improves I also may notice the same.  Especially if I'm able to attain BBS.

Feathers are my favorite blade and I highly recommend them, but they are relatively pricey.  I can get a 100 pack for about $25.  I went from $25/7=3.6 cents per shave to $25/2=12.5 cents per shave.

Attaining perfecting is costly Smile  

0 42
 08-21-2016, 04:26 PM
User Info
It's all relative I guess.  

One could use one of the mass-market plastic 3/4/5 blade cartridge blades and get the mfr advertised 14 shaves for about $0.25 to $0.32 a shave - and never know what "BBS" means in a shave, getting nothing better than a mediocre shave, at best.

Given that, your $0.13 for a consistently amazing BBS shave makes it a real value proposition and good decision.

My experience is similar to yours, though my blade of preference is the Polsilver, which is about $0.30 a blade.  I've gotten as many as 10 shaves from one blade ($0.03 / shave), but for reasons similar to yours have cut that down to 4 - 5 shaves / blade - call it $0.06 - $0.08 per incredibly smooth, comfortable, wonderful BBS shave.  But, since I've got a stash of about 500 right now, I might just cut it down to 2 - 3 shaves / blade - or $0.10 - $0.15 per shave.  

Either way - it's a hands-down no brainer decision to know where the value is (and it's not a mass-market plastic cartridge).  Smile Smile

0 377
 08-21-2016, 04:35 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
For me, it is typically 2 shaves.  The 3rd is hit or miss.  Sometimes I change Feathers after 2 shaves, other times I'll take a chance and see how the third shave goes

34 1,628
 08-21-2016, 04:37 PM
User Info
I don't like Feathers.

When I do use them, the first shave isn't comfortable.

The next three are.

I can feel them going down hill at the fifth shave for sure.

By the end of the week I remember why I don't use them very often. Too much of a rollercoaster ride. 

At least they are very consistent.

9 1,411
 08-21-2016, 06:40 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
BBS is like The Rapture. When it happens let me know. Perfection isn't costly. Never striving for it is.

2 3,171
 08-26-2016, 01:30 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I don't understand it at all. My beard is barely on the heavy side of average at most, yet all I could ever get from Feathers is one full, uncomfortable, three pass shave. It would break down completely midway thru the second shave. My skin has always proved tougher than my whiskers at all other times. After revisiting it several times as my skill level improved with no better results I've  86'ed them. In fact, I've 86'ed all current production  blades

7 2,327