08-15-2016, 11:04 AM
User Info
After reading about how some nookers (Kav...cough cough) are a bit fed up with all of the "best of the best" posts, I thought I'd go a different route: the Cheapest of the Cheap!  I recently made a purchase and ended up getting some cheap but well thought of products.

So here's my version of the cheapest DE shave I can get:

Dorco PL 602 Razor ($3.50)
Arko Stick ($2.00)
Omega S-Brush ($8.00)
Astra SP ($0.10)

While the Dorco is a bit mild/inefficient for my taste, it worked fine. This combo gave an irritation free CCS shave in 2 passes.

Can anyone do cheaper?  [Image: 2vA54jk.jpg]

11 973
 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I have a Sykes-Fairbarn commando knife someone recently explained was totally illegal to even possess in California; being a double edged dagger with the sole purpose of assassination. Come on over! We can reverse this onerous law demonstrating it's double edge, shaving sharp capabilities on throats. I am not K*ough K*ough against high end gear at all, aspiring to a few pieces myself. It's just the cheapness of spirit that results from losing perspective in their acquisition.

2 3,171
 08-15-2016, 12:35 PM
User Info
Yes I can beat it. An inexpensive shave doesn't need to be subpar.

Hand me down Travel Tech razor. $0
Clearly Natural glycerine soap from the supermarket $1
Free blade from a vendor $0
$.50 chinese boar brush

While I haven't done the above for awhile, when I first started I did it quite often. I got into blade shaving to save $ and I was bound and determined to do just that. I was heavily into experimenting once I learned technique and the Clearly Natural is quite passable as shave soap. I still use the razor and the brush today. The free blades are long gone but I had plenty of them, they were either used or PIFed away. If you check my cabinet you'll still find that Clearly Natural melted into a tub.

Today I prefer to use what I choose to use; mostly my own products 99.99% of the time. Mostly a vintage SE razor with a blade that I get 20-30 shaves from for a per shave cost of close to or under $.01 per shave. The brush could put me way over depending on the day, but I do still have that Chinese brush in the rotation.

32 6,458
 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
This is becoming like a bet in High School. My MGA had a new gas tank intalled and had exactly 1 gallon in it. I told my friend it would easilly get me home the 37 miles driving conservatively. I just had to put a 356 bathtub Porsche in his place and ran out exactly 4 blocks from the gas station we worked at.

2 3,171
 08-15-2016, 02:19 PM
User Info
Replace the Arko with a Palmolive stick purchased in London for £0.49 (so about $0.63 today). Better scent and cheaper!

You could also get Derby blades for $0.08 but the two pennies are well spent on Astra.

6 735
 08-15-2016, 05:23 PM
User Info
(08-15-2016, 12:35 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Yes I can beat it. An inexpensive shave doesn't need to be subpar.

Hand me down Travel Tech razor. $0
Clearly Natural glycerine soap from the supermarket $1
Free blade from a vendor $0
$.50 chinese boar brush

While I haven't done the above for awhile, when I first started I did it quite often. I got into blade shaving to save $ and I was bound and determined to do just that. I was heavily into experimenting once I learned technique and the Clearly Natural is quite passable as shave soap. I still use the razor and the brush today. The free blades are long gone but I had plenty of them, they were either used or PIFed away. If you check my cabinet you'll still find that Clearly Natural melted into a tub.

Today I prefer to use what I choose to use; mostly my own products 99.99% of the time. Mostly a vintage SE razor with a blade that I get 20-30 shaves from for a per shave cost of close to or under $.01 per shave. The brush could put me way over depending on the day, but I do still have that Chinese brush in the rotation.

Bravo!  I use the glycerin soap from Whole Foods as a pre-shave, and I've wondered if I could just shave with it.  Now I have the answer.

11 973
 08-15-2016, 05:26 PM
User Info
(08-15-2016, 12:42 PM)kav Wrote: This is becoming like a bet in High School. My MGA had a new gas tank intalled and had exactly 1 gallon in it. I told my friend it would easilly get me home the 37 miles driving conservatively. I just had to put a 356 bathtub Porsche in his place and ran out exactly 4 blocks from the gas station we worked at.

Chris, I saw a beautiful fully restored MGA, black with tan interior, up in Malibu last sunday.  I'm guessing 1960.  Such great lines on that car.

11 973
 08-15-2016, 05:29 PM
User Info
The Arko performs fine but it's smelling up my medicine cabinet...!

11 973
 08-15-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
My cheapest shave currently

$20 gold dollar coti honed and shipped.
Palm strop FREE
Dove bar soap $1

60 1,512
 08-16-2016, 07:58 AM
User Info
Palmolive shaving stick (bought at UK for £0,50)
Wilkinson Classic razor & blades (€2 at a Schlecker drugstore in Portugal)
low-end Semogue "MyLabel" for Continente supermarkets - €2,69

...done! Smile

2 5,547
 08-21-2016, 08:43 PM
User Info
Surf, there was a time when I tried all sorts of stuff to see what I could get away with in a pinch and still shave. Most soaps never made the cut, and I tried many, but Clearly Natural brand did. It was unique in that. Use a brush and treat it the same way you would any shave soap. I nuked mine into a tub, then let it harden. Scent can be added while it's molten if you wish that. I have 2 versions that I made way back when. One has menthol added and the other is my Acadian Spice. It was an easy way to play with scented soaps before I had a manufacturer who could make soap for me. If you add menthol to hot glycerine soap be sure to stand back. It melts at a  much lower temp' than the soap and it will vaporize readily, so add and quickly stir it in under a vented hood or with plenty of air movement.

:-) Back then I also used Williams and made excuses for it, so take what I'm writing in that context. Don't expect a high grade soap experience. Clearly Natural is  a better shave soap than Williams though. That doesn't say much for contemporary Williams.

32 6,458
 08-21-2016, 08:57 PM
User Info
(08-15-2016, 05:26 PM)surfshaver Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 12:42 PM)kav Wrote: This is becoming like a bet in High School. My MGA had a new gas tank intalled and had exactly 1 gallon in it. I told my friend it would easilly get me home the 37 miles driving conservatively. I just had to put a 356 bathtub Porsche in his place and ran out exactly 4 blocks from the gas station we worked at.

Chris, I saw a beautiful fully restored MGA, black with tan interior, up in Malibu last sunday.  I'm guessing 1960.  Such great lines on that car.

MGA was my Moms first and always beloved car.  She had several of them through her life.  I'd love to have one one day.  I remember trying to get enough gas in my '66 Mustang* to get home several times with the canoe from the floorboard.

*my first car.

3 131
 08-25-2016, 04:52 PM
User Info
(08-21-2016, 08:57 PM)Texchappy Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 05:26 PM)surfshaver Wrote:

MGA was my Moms first and always beloved car.  She had several of them through her life.  I'd love to have one one day.  I remember trying to get enough gas in my '66 Mustang* to get home several times with the canoe from the floorboard.

*my first car.
Tex, my first car was a 66 Mustang too!  I got a light blue one and I was bummed that it only came with the straight 6 and not the 289 V8.  However, that lump was as strong as a tractor engine.  I overheated the damn thing trying to get by on a leaky radiator, and I blew the engine up.  Funny thing was, we put the freeze plugs back in it and it started running again, even with a warped head.  Not 100% compression, but enough to sell it!  ;-)

11 973
 08-26-2016, 07:32 AM
User Info
oh you lucky people with mga's.  my first was a 1965 mg 1100. same drive train but 4 door box and a piece of crap.  bags for suspension, alloy engine with cracks, lucas electrics.  took forever getting to any speed.  entire car literally fell apart at 30000 miles.  never got a hint of the romance of the brand.

73 1,295
 08-26-2016, 09:17 AM
User Info
mga mgb...mechanics dreams

36 892
 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I'm home on leave driving past the FUTURE performing arts center, then the abaondoned JUNGLELAND property overgrown with fountain grass and home to 3
homeless Vietnam Vets suffering PTSD. I look over and my driver's front wheel is bouncing like a Damnbuster bomb ahead of me and almost hit a telephone crew. I slow and stop. there is a 50' plowed groove in the asphalt and my front disk has a flat spot. We find the knock off stripped and embedded in another telephone pole. I'm standing there is full uniform with my brother, who bought a ragtop to match me, looking like Conan the barbarian in UCLA hippie beard and hair. Big pig Buick stationwagon pulls up and a guy jumps out. ' I know MGs, here comewith me and I will get parts'. I'm thinking swell, his daughter has a MGB or something. They return after 20 minutes and my brother is uncharacteristically silent. In minutes I have a new disk and knockoff istalled and we drive to his house to bleed the brakes properly. Guy was THE MG collector in the USA and his yard held prewar MGs, Ken Miles racing specials and a full on garage to replicate parts. You have a twin cam coupe there! having trouble with engine parts? Here take his box and this and this.....
back on subject: My cheapest shave? Almost overslept into my bridge watch, took a sea shower shaving blind with a razor borrowed from a shipmate with a used blade in it, no soap, one pass, rinse body,towel, jump in uniform run down the main passage, up the ladder and paused at the last step to assume some composure. Skipper grins at me 'kav, you missed a few spots there'-'yes captain, course bearing 240 halfspeed we have breakers hitting us port aft' tweaking the helm to compensate, smelling his bay rum. We could be taking on water and that man would finish his shave unperturbed while giving orders.

2 3,171
 08-26-2016, 02:45 PM
User Info
I wish someone had posted this thread before I bought all of that other stuff.....  Biggrin

4 465
 09-10-2016, 01:09 AM
User Info
Weishi 9306
Arko
Omega 10065
Voskhods
Witch hazel

11 1,169
 09-12-2016, 06:38 PM
User Info
I bought a puck of vintage Williams at an antique store for about $0.50.  I also bought 200 Derby blades for about $0.08/blade.  My cheapest brush was free (an Ever Ready that belonged to my father in law) and my Gillette Slim was also a freebie from my father in law.  Overall, it works great for me.

0 30