08-02-2012, 09:35 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
This is the eighth interview in a series with the artists, authors, craftsmen, and vendors who make wet shaving great. Todays interview is with Bruno from Vintage Scent
[Image: ScreenShot2012-07-17at13159PM.png]
Today’s Nook Interview is with Bruno, the owner and operator of VintageScent.com. Bruno’s specialty is one of many wetshavers’ favorites: Semogue Brushes. Bruno carries the whole line of Semogue Brushes. Bruno and Teiste, along with Semogue have come up with a special edition Nook Brush which will be reminiscent of the legendary Semogue Carvela. Bruno also stocks several other shaving items (creams, aftershaves, etc) as well as a few beautiful and vintage straight razors. I’d like to thank Bruno for answering a few questions for Nook Readers

First of all Bruno, and I made this mistake myself. How often are called “Leon” how many emails do you get addressed to “Leon”?

That mistake is made quite often. "Leon" is the nickname I picked up many years ago, in the dawn of the wetshaving forums because "Bruno" was already taken. Some people think we're different persons, so I promptly explain we're not.

Tell us a bit about yourself?

I was born and raised in Porto, Portugal's second largest city, worldwide famous for its Port wine. When I began shaving, I used what most people use, a cartridge razor and canned foam, so no wonder the shaves were really bad and to make things worst, I had sensitive and dry skin. It was a chore. A couple of years later, I decided to search for an alternative way to shave that would provide me a comfortable experience. That's when I turned to the classic way, using a brush and a straight razor. Old folks were right (as always). It was clear and made sense to me that one single edge wouldn't harm the skin as much as 3, 4 or 5 edges in parallel and, just as important, the brush would improve your skin condition and enhance the lather quality in a much better way than smearing canned foam with your own fingers. The results were amazing, I was a believer and wanted to get to know more products that would provide me such luxurious experience.

What is your perfect shave as far as razor and products?

My perfect shave begins with a shower, while my setup is ready and waiting for me. The brush will sit upside down with its knot inside a cup with warm water.
I'm a 100% straight razor user, so I'd pick and strop a Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple. It's 6/8'', a perfect sized and balanced razor with a very sharp and smooth edge.
I pick my SOC boar brush in cherry wood handle, give it a gentle pump and begin to swirl it in my bowl of Cella soap. In less than one minute, I'll have plenty of rich lather.
One pass with the grain, a second one against and I feel like a million bucks. I rinse my face with cold water, splash some Old Spice (I like spicy scents) and clear up the den. The last thing I do is to put a small dab of 444 balm and apply it on my face.

Tell us about Vintage Scent. How long have you been in business and what made you decide to open the site?

I began researching for good and local wetshaving products back in 2007. After I began using them and posting some pictures on some Shave-of-the-Day threads, some interest raised from members from around the world. Shortly after, I made an online catalog with some products and later built my own online shop on May 2008. The rest, as they say, is History...

You’re well known for your large selection of Semogue Brushes? How did you first discover Semogue and how did you develop such a great relationship with them?

Semogue has been in business since 1955, so, to me, it was the "must have" brand in my catalog, since it symbolizes the Portuguese traditional manufacturing - a small, family-owned business that has been passed through generations. My first brush, like with most Portuguese men, was a Semogue boar brush and since my first visit to the factory I was convinced that this brand had huge potential and could be just as good as the leading brands. The experience of the owner, Sr. Gomes, and his love for his business could only build the very best brushes in the world. His warm and openness built way to a long lasting partnership and friendship. Our first joint project was the LE 2008 with a horn handle brush and dense silvertip badger hair and was the proof that Semogue could build a brush just as good as the main players of the market.

Semogue Limited Editions are some of the best brushes the world over. Do you have any information yet as to whether there will be any 2012 Limited Editions?

The LE2012 is being planned, but it's top secret right now and I don't know the expected date of release.

Tell us what is in store as far as new products for the Vintage Scent in the next few months

Well, the new TSN LE  And the LE2012. And maybe a new Semogue model, who knows?

I’d like to thank Bruno aka Leon for taking some time to answer a few questions for our readers. Bruno and great customer service and great products await you at the Vintage Scent. Thanks so much Bruno

116 3,804
 08-02-2012, 09:47 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Excellent. BRAVO !! Clap

173 23,484
 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Just an FYI Johnny. It took everything I had not to beg for a Johnny Edition Shave Brush from Semogue and Bruno

116 3,804
 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(08-02-2012, 09:49 AM)Dave Wrote: Just an FYI Johnny. It took everything I had not to beg for a Johnny Edition Shave Brush from Semogue and Bruno

24 Now that would be a sure winner.

173 23,484
 08-02-2012, 09:53 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thank you for an excellent interview, Dave and Bruno. Bruno is a great vendor to work with and I have had nothing but fine experiences when ordering through Vintage Scent. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Another good one! Love your interviews and insights.

88 4,233
 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
User Info
Thanks for another very good interview. These are very interesting.

183 12,002
 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Awesome interview!

10 963
 08-02-2012, 10:43 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Bruno and Vintage Scent are "responsible" for the Semogue love worldwide.Thanks to him,many of us,discovered Semogue.Bruno is like a relative for me and always a pleasure to talk to him,specially about one of our passions,which is football (yes,the sport called soccer in USA).
Thanks Dave for the interview,and thanks Bruno for being the excellent vendor/person that you are,irmao!

86 7,123
 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
Thanks for another great interview!

0 62
 08-02-2012, 12:11 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Dave for an excellent interview with Bruno. And many thanks to Bruno for offering Semogue brushes to wet shavers.

100 12,436
 08-02-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
Excellent interview, Dave and Bruno.
Obrigado senhores! Ahh, another Portuguese element to the Nook. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 08-02-2012, 12:17 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Dave, once gain thank you for conducting an interesting and worthwhile interview Thumbsup

Bruno, thank you for taking the time to give us a glimpse into your shaving world Thumbsup

23 1,872
 08-02-2012, 12:31 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great article, thank you Bruno for your great product selections.

1 3,507
 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
All I have to say is summed up with this...Thumbup and this...Clap

32 6,308
 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM
User Info
A great interview posted on the day that the TSN Semogue was made available for ordering. Go get yours!

47 1,270
 08-02-2012, 02:14 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I updated the interview to include a link to the brush.

116 3,804
 08-02-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
Thank you both of you - a very good read.

And a special thank you for the link... I just ordered myself a TSN brush Biggrin

3 3,550
 08-02-2012, 07:46 PM
User Info
Great interview.

Semogue brushes are a large part of my wet shaving experience.

Every time I feel the wood handle in my hand, I know that I'm going to have a quality lather experience.

3 452
 08-02-2012, 08:22 PM
User Info
Yet another great interview. Bruno is great to work with!

3 315