08-17-2016, 02:33 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Forums are no different than other social venues: People move on or face private challenges. I was just reading some older posts and a roll call of absent friends came to mind. If you're out there, send up a flare! Are you O.K. running from the Law, in jail, in love, working 3 jobs, not working, grew a beard and living in a monastery tending goats?

2 3,171
 08-17-2016, 03:58 PM
User Info
I'm still here.  No goats... Just herding twin boys.

0 1,099
 08-17-2016, 04:33 PM
User Info
If you miss me Kav just come out and say it. No need to beat around the Bush.   Tongue

148 3,602
 08-17-2016, 06:57 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I'm still here, kav .. Wink
Oh, and I am sporting a beard these days.

102 18,669
 08-17-2016, 08:01 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I remember years ago somebody started a webservice for people active on various forums or gaming sites. If you dropped dead he would send out notices to all such groups. The idea didn't gain much attention and eventually, he too disappeared. The internet can generate some amazing contacts. My friend Yasha,who's husband works at the St Petersburg razor plant got to talking with me online. She was a student then from Beslan. I remember when the chechens siezed teh school and the terrible aftermath. Yasha was in a panic, wanted to go home and had no money. I sent her airfare, much to the derision of friends who said I would never hear from her again. I did, her family was safe but she lost friends and eventually she repaid every penny. We have some amazing people here, friendships I value. Sometimes people can slip away when a simple, timely hello, how are you is deeply needed.

2 3,171
 08-17-2016, 08:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(08-17-2016, 08:01 PM)kav Wrote: I remember years ago somebody started a webservice for people active on various forums or gaming sites. If you dropped dead he would send out notices to all such groups. The idea didn't gain much attention and eventually, he too disappeared. The internet can generate some amazing contacts. My friend Yasha,who's husband works at the St Petersburg razor plant got to talking with me online. She was a student then from Beslan. I remember when the chechens siezed teh school and the terrible aftermath. Yasha was in a panic, wanted to go home and had no money. I sent her airfare, much to the derision of friends who said I would never hear from her again. I did, her family was safe but she lost  friends and eventually she repaid every penny. We have some amazing people here, friendships I value. Sometimes people can slip away when a simple, timely hello, how are you is deeply needed.

Very true!

46 18,638
 08-18-2016, 04:53 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I haven't seen much activity from Johnny. I do hope he is just enjoying retirement from his moderator position....

169 1,425
 08-18-2016, 07:32 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
In a way, there is becoming a saturation of shaving blogs and forums. As I've made friendships on the forums, much of my interaction is through direct and private correspondence. In the straight shaving world, most of my communication is private.

At times there is too much quarreling on the forums and this causes members to sly away. If anything, coming to the shaving forums is an escape from all the hassles in life versus having to deal with them on the forums.

Some of my acquaintances and friends are also moving into other hobbies and placing energy they would have spent here elsewhere. Such is life.

13 626
 08-18-2016, 07:34 AM
User Info
As with everything in life, the novelty can wear off.

39 3,956
 08-18-2016, 08:10 AM
User Info
Ars longa, vita brevis.

36 913
 08-18-2016, 08:23 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
If I should lose convenient internet access again I have several mailing addresses from friends here. I do not do christmas cards with those annual updates on how Jimmy was accepted to West Point
but opted for Harley Davidson mootorcycle repair school and the new pool and custom BBQ were worth the sacrifice of keeping the 2014 BMWs one more year. No, I will send letters sealed with wax
and semi legible fountain pen writing. 'I will not go quietly into the night' at least until I find my flashlight.

2 3,171
 08-18-2016, 09:14 AM
User Info
Do not go gentle into that good night - DT

36 913
 08-18-2016, 09:19 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(08-18-2016, 09:14 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Do not go gentle into that good night - DT

The layman's version 

This is an actual quote from a personal friend...

"When I die, I'm gonna die hard. It won't be from choking on creamed corn in a nursing home..."

169 1,425
 08-18-2016, 09:40 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I was listening to Sir Geraint Evans while typing last. Primotenor introduced us. He has a far more pleasant voice than Dylan singing Tambourine Man.

2 3,171
 08-18-2016, 11:46 AM
User Info
(08-18-2016, 09:40 AM)kav Wrote: I was listening to Sir Geraint Evans while typing last. Primotenor introduced us. He has a far more pleasant voice than Dylan singing Tambourine Man.
And it was my pleasure!!
Primotenor
e

39 3,956
 08-18-2016, 11:55 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Joseph, A misplaced note in a score would be disaster. My spelling? i would pay closer attention were it not for those moments when even Pyewacket starts purring to the music and biting my fingers in pleasure. He has Coro A Boca Chiusa down pretty good.

2 3,171
 08-18-2016, 01:32 PM
User Info
(08-18-2016, 11:55 AM)kav Wrote: Joseph, A misplaced note in a score would be disaster. My spelling? i would pay closer attention were it not for those moments when   even Pyewacket starts purring to the music and biting my fingers in pleasure. He has Coro A Boca Chiusa down pretty good.
Ahhh....a Madama Butterfly reference. Bravo!

39 3,956
 08-18-2016, 02:47 PM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
Well, kav, I don't actually know you, and it's just as likely as not that we won't grow to have the kind of strange close-but-remote sort of relationship you describe (and that I've also experienced elsewhere on the web) . . . but should you ever demit without explanation from these pages, you will also be missed.

----------
Spike

0 107
 08-18-2016, 09:45 PM
User Info
I miss WKNicholas who regularly posted in SOTD.  While many of us talk about being minimalists, WKNicholas, who was a retired Forest Ranger from Oregon. almost always had a few beautiful photos of Mitchell's Wool Fat and a Semogue 1305 and IIRC, he also used Arko.  His trademark ending was "and finished with a cold water splash.

Seeing his posts always reminded me that despite those of us who collect and feed our AD's, that wet shaving in itself can be simple and beautiful as a good soap, a good brush and a good razor.

3 460
 08-21-2016, 04:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(08-18-2016, 04:53 AM)Steelman Wrote: I haven't seen much activity from Johnny. I do hope he is just enjoying retirement from his moderator position....

I'm still here.  Just taking most of the summer off for some travel and visiting old friends and family.  Will be back regular basis when the snow starts to fly.

179 23,945