08-18-2016, 02:40 PM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
Gents -

I'm new here. At my advanced age, I'm new to wet shaving. This morning, I had my 10th shave with the SE safety razor I spent weeks deciding on (Mongoose B3). 

And just moments ago, I bought a (fairly inexpensive) vintage reconditioned straight razor from Brad Maggard. I haven't the slightest idea what I think I'm doing. 

What the hell is happening to me?

----------
Spike

0 107
 08-18-2016, 03:07 PM
User Info
(08-18-2016, 02:40 PM)Tokyospike Wrote: Gents -

I'm new here. At my advanced age, I'm new to wet shaving. This morning, I had my 10th shave with the SE safety razor I spent weeks deciding on (Mongoose B3). 

And just moments ago, I bought a (fairly inexpensive) vintage reconditioned straight razor from Brad Maggard. I haven't the slightest idea what I think I'm doing. 

----------
Spike

Hmmmmmm??????  If you mean RAD it is normal like any hobby/lifestyle!  There is no cure what so ever other than a depleted bank account of course or the misses kills you in your sleep!  It happens in every hobby my friend.  I was into high end airguns at one time......you would think only a few would suffice.  Try dozens!  I had 4 motorcycles and one could have been enough you would think....No!!!!  I once had spent over 15K stocking a gigantic humidor of fine imported cigars and one would think maybe a few boxes would do!!!!  No!!!!!

You are normal of course.  But never let this lifestyle far exceed the bank account!

0 413
 08-18-2016, 03:31 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
We welcome you. 

I wanted a new stone to hone a hunting knife and all of a sudden I have so much soap and cream I don't need to use the same one for over two months.

7 450
 08-18-2016, 07:09 PM
  • Tokyospike
  • New York City
User Info
Thanks, folks. More worried about my wife than the bank account, so I guess I'm OK (so far!). Guess I'd better start learning how to take care of the dang thing . . .

----------
Spike

0 107
 08-18-2016, 07:41 PM
User Info
I saw this post and thought it explained things pretty good...

[Image: 0bd39b362c3d5c64a1ec43dc08ff03bb.jpg]

20 164
 08-19-2016, 05:46 AM
User Info
(08-18-2016, 07:41 PM)Fastback Wrote: I saw this post and thought it explained things pretty good...

[Image: 0bd39b362c3d5c64a1ec43dc08ff03bb.jpg]

This is hilarious and true!!!!

0 413
 08-19-2016, 05:47 AM
User Info
(08-18-2016, 03:31 PM)jtmke Wrote: We welcome you. 

I wanted a new stone to hone a hunting knife and all of a sudden I have so much soap and cream I don't need to use the same one for over two months.

It's pure insanity in a controlled way!  <  Well maybe not!! Shok

0 413
 08-19-2016, 05:52 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Nothing to worry about, this is just the beginning. Maybe in a year from now things wil be much different(= worse), but for now enjoy it!

49 1,995
 08-19-2016, 07:32 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Welcome to the world of straight razor shaving! I feel you can never truly understand shaving until you've learn how to straight razor shave. Straight razor shaving is like jumping off the edge into the abyss. There is soooooo much you can learn and do regarding every aspect from shaving to sharpening. It's just a matter of how much you want to learn. To me, it's the ultimate in fine-tuning. My wife has no issue with my shaving passion other than where to store my shaving goodies as the acquisitions keep steadily growing.

13 611
 08-19-2016, 08:21 AM
User Info
Welcome !!!

I think you may be asking the wrong group of addicts : ) 

My wet shaving journey started 3 years ago.  About a month ago I bought my first straight.  In 30 days I now have:

4 Straight Razors
3 Strops
1 12k Superstone
4 different kinds of pastes and sprays I am not sure what to do with

Although I am not sure what to do with what I have, I am thinking a vintage straight might be something I need.  5 SR is such a good number until you have 5, then 6 becomes a good number : )

Its a sickness.......I love it

6 224
 08-19-2016, 08:22 AM
  • Tokyospike
  • New York City
User Info
Haven't had a chance yet, but I need to read everything on the site about how to do this. Not planning on actually trying to use the dang thing until I have a clear mental picture (and that could take some time given the state of my mental). It won't be here for a day or two yet, it's nothing special to aficionados such as yourselves, but I'm already in love with it. Made in Connecticut before WWII. Very plain, but nicely reconditioned by Brad.

BTW paid my first visit to Pasteur Pharmacy on 34th in Manhattan today . . . will post elsewhere about it today or tomorrow, but imagine some of you know the place.

----------
Spike

0 107
 08-19-2016, 02:40 PM
User Info
Just have a steady and clean hand. And it helps to watch out for your carotid artery as well!!!!!!!!

4 208
 08-19-2016, 04:29 PM
User Info
Welcome to straight razors. Since getting in to straights a couple months ago I am hooked.

And the answer is no to just having one....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4 465
 08-20-2016, 08:49 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Sounds normal to me... Lol. But you'll need more straights.

Cheers, Steve

7 523
 08-21-2016, 05:52 AM
User Info
(08-19-2016, 08:22 AM)Tokyospike Wrote: Haven't had a chance yet, but I need to read everything on the site about how to do this. Not planning on actually trying to use the dang thing until I have a clear mental picture (and that could take some time given the state of my mental). It won't be here for a day or two yet, it's nothing special to aficionados such as yourselves, but I'm already in love with it. Made in Connecticut before WWII. Very plain, but nicely reconditioned by Brad.

BTW paid my first visit to Pasteur Pharmacy on 34th in Manhattan today . . . will post elsewhere about it today or tomorrow, but imagine some of you know the place.

----------
Spike

I assure you that the first time you place that straight to your face it will be like the feeling you got when you had your first real kiss from that special girl!  There is so much anticipation and you can actually feel your body getting a bit giddy!  It is like a religious experience. 

My suggestion as given to me when I started.............for the first few times just shave a particular part of the face that is easiest which is usually the cheek area to get the hang of it.  Then expand to the jaw line; then to the mustache area < this area will get the most cuts in my experience when first starting; then to the neck.  Then eventually in a week or so you are ready to do the whole face.  At first your extra careful and will hardly cut yourself..................then comes the infamous I feel good about this and get slightly lax that one time and whammo!  You get a decent slice to the ear; chin area; or neck and while it is not a bad cut, it bleeds like you have had your throat slit!!!!!  Then you are in check and ready for the lifelong journey of straight shaving my friend!

0 413
 08-22-2016, 05:52 PM
User Info
Hahaha...well we call it natural progression i think..dont fight it just go with it as my mom use uo say. 

Watch some vids, read up, ask questions and go for it...one bit at a time..no rush as its all about technique.  Most important of all...relax and enjoy!!

3 52
 08-23-2016, 03:26 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(08-18-2016, 02:40 PM)Tokyospike Wrote: UGents -

----------
Spike

Easy Man we all go a bit of heads over heals about our wet shaving. Some collect brushes some Shaving creams looking for that tub of gold. For me I started collecting str8s, the down side it takes me 20 mins to figure out what razor to shave with.

21 462
 09-10-2016, 06:51 PM
  • Tokyospike
  • New York City
User Info
(08-19-2016, 02:40 PM)Occam Wrote: Just have a steady and clean hand. And it helps to watch out for your carotid artery as well!!!!!!!!

Wiser words were never spoken. Today was the day - first straight razor shave.

[Image: TSQlLPU.jpg]

And I suspect the first of a few 'Straight Razor Saturdays' - but tho' I'm a young 60' the mileage means I may not have the steadiness of hand this requires. I got through my first 24 shaves with the Mongoose with two nicks and a weeper. Managed to equal that today (plus I unaccountably cut my earlobe) tho I just did two passes on cheeks and the side of my neck & did the rest with the Mongoose.

Learned a lot tho, including:
1. Just what an incredible invention the safety razor was/is, and
2. Why folks with the money, or advanced age, went to professionals to have it done.

----------
Spike

0 107
 09-14-2016, 04:51 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Congratulations! I'm also 60 and have no problems, but it is like learning to ride a bike or drive a car, you have to develop the muscle 'memory'. You'll get there.

Cheers, Steve

7 523
 09-17-2016, 10:52 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(08-19-2016, 08:21 AM)Newton Wrote: Welcome !!!

I think you may be asking the wrong group of addicts : ) 

My wet shaving journey started 3 years ago.  About a month ago I bought my first straight.  In 30 days I now have:

4 Straight Razors
3 Strops
1 12k Superstone
4 different kinds of pastes and sprays I am not sure what to do with

Although I am not sure what to do with what I have, I am thinking a vintage straight might be something I need.  5 SR is such a good number until you have 5, then 6 becomes a good number : )

Its a sickness.......I love it

I know what you mean . My wife had me in rehab!

21 462